Mars and beyond.

Page 6 of 9« First<3456789>
September 27th, 2015 at 5:00:35 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
I do not like if they pretend something is big enough to preannounce it, and it's not really big enough.

I'm willing to bet it's something most people have not heard about.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 27th, 2015 at 5:17:52 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Nareed
I'm willing to bet it's something most people have not heard about.

That probably excludes the rescue of Matt Damon then. (hey, pretty sure they gave away the ending already.)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 27th, 2015 at 6:01:38 PM permalink
rxwine
A couple fossil impressions would be the coolest thing one could begin to hope for. I can't imagine anything beyond that.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 28th, 2015 at 7:35:07 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine
A couple fossil impressions would be the coolest thing one could begin to hope for. I can't imagine anything beyond that.

They said they've solved a mystery, not that they've made a new discovery.

To illustrate: the infamous photo of the "Face" of Mars taken by an early Mariner probe was a discovery. Latter photos of the same area by orbiters with better cameras (with higher resolution and more color detail), taken at different orbital angles, show the real terrain in detail and how the illusion of the "face" can be formed. That is a solved mystery.

That's why I think it won't be something sensational, like finding flowing water or fossils or actual Martian organisms.
September 28th, 2015 at 8:49:39 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
They said they've solved a mystery, not that they've made a new discovery.

That's why I think it won't be something sensational, like finding flowing water or fossils or actual Martian organisms.

I guess it is sensational then Nareed it is liquid water.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 28th, 2015 at 12:52:48 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: kenarman
I guess it is sensational then Nareed it is liquid water.

If it's something like liquid water miles underground, it still won't be sensational. Flowing water, like a river on the surface, even seasonally, even under odd conditions, would be.

But nothing's official until Facebook users suddenly all become expert planetologists :)
September 28th, 2015 at 2:43:13 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
If it's something like liquid water miles underground, it still won't be sensational. Flowing water, like a river on the surface, even seasonally, even under odd conditions, would be.

But nothing's official until Facebook users suddenly all become expert planetologists :)

It is surface water and that is from a NASA spokesperson.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 28th, 2015 at 4:23:23 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: kenarman
It is surface water and that is from a NASA spokesperson.

I'm still waiting on Facebook ;)

BTW, I'm never wrong, except on those occasions where I am.
September 29th, 2015 at 6:26:42 AM permalink
Nareed
Ok, it's official now: Google made a logo!

On related news, the recent NASA announcement on Mars also revealed there is no intelligent life in Rush Limbaugh.
October 5th, 2015 at 2:27:12 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
"Because liquid water appears to be present ... we have to take extra precautions to prevent contamination by Earth life," Rich Zurek, the chief scientist for NASA’s Mars program, explained during a Reddit AMA yesterday. "Our current rovers have not been sterilised to the degree needed to go to an area where liquid water may be present."

As Akshat Rathi writes for Quartz, every country on Earth is bound by the stipulations of the 1967 Outer Space Treaty, which forbids "anyone from sending a mission, robot or human, close to a water source in the fear of contaminating it with life from Earth".

http://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-why-nasa-s-mars-rovers-are-banned-from-investigating-that-liquid-water
Page 6 of 9« First<3456789>