Windows 10 (aka Windows AE)

Page 3 of 7<123456>Last »
November 25th, 2014 at 6:50:13 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Here's an interesting tidbit:

Microsoft has an internal version number for its software that reflects the "true" state of a version. For example, Windows XP was actually a development of Windows 2000, so they are versions 5.1 and 5.0 respectively.

Well, Windows Vista, the OS no one wants, is version 6.0

This indicates it was a major development over XP, right? Good. Windows 7 is version 6.1.

So what are the internal version numbers of the last 3 developments? Glad you asked. It's like this:

Win8 = 6.2
Win8.1 = 6.3
Win10 = 6.4

Yes, dear Windows users, you've all been using sub-versions of that very hated OS, Windows Vista, for the past few years.

But.

But MS is going to internally name Windows 10 version 10 for the release. This could have some effects on compatibility issues with older software, apparently, and it is mostly a ploy by MS. In reality Windows 10, as far as PCs go, is version 6.4.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 2nd, 2014 at 7:09:19 AM permalink
Nareed
I put away the laptop and returned to my year-old Win7 desktop. I missed the large screen.

Win10 does seem good enough, especially as compared to Win8(.1), but I fervently hope the release version will work better. Issues do esthetics aside, Firefox kept seizing up with malfunctioning plug-ins and unresponsive scripts. This may be a Firefox issue, perhaps, except it behaves much better running on Win7.

Allegedly a "consumer" version will be previewed early in 2015. I may try that on a partition on the desktop.
January 13th, 2015 at 11:16:31 AM permalink
Nareed
This is your reminder that mainstream support for Windows 7 ended today.

No more new features.

But security issues will continue to be patched until 2020, when extended support ends.
January 23rd, 2015 at 4:25:11 PM permalink
Nareed
A new preview build was released today, after being announced at Microsoft's big event on the 21st.

I missed the last one, and the bug fixes in between. Still, if I find some free time I may boot the laptop back up and see what happens. For one thing, I'll need to find the means of shutting down the Cortana resource hog (it's sure to be one, if it's running in the background waiting to be invoked by name). More important there are supposed to be new additions to the start menu.

Lastly MS announced with much confusion Win10 would be free to Windows 7 users and Windows 8(.1)(Update)/WinRT victims, for one year.

This means the upgrade will be available at no cost for one year, not that it will be free for the first year and then you'll have to pay for it. You still buy a Windows 10 license and it's good for the whole run of the OS.

I really need to partition the HD on the Win7 desktop to see how it runs. if it does well enough, I'll upgrade. If not, I'll wait for the time when I can buy a new desktop PC.
January 26th, 2015 at 7:01:16 AM permalink
Nareed
I didn't have time for the laptop.

I might have, had I cancelled electrolysis. But it's going so well I'm even returning to weekly sessions in order to get finished sooner.

T, the electrologist said something witty: "It looks as though you'll be done with the treatment before the treatment is done with you." I replied "Not that it didn't try its best." She smiled. :)

Anyway, I think I'll look at partitioning the HD on the desktop and running it there. The laptop can have the upgrade when it's released, if I can get it for free (originally the laptop was Vista, not 7).
March 31st, 2015 at 1:58:20 PM permalink
Nareed
Believe it or not, Start10 is out in Beta. That's a Start8 for Windows 10. Start8 was Windows for Windows 8 ;)

I should try it. Not that I mind the "tiles" terribly, but I miss the rest of the start menu
April 1st, 2015 at 7:30:24 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I am happy with Linux now. It had some difficulties (mostly related to the need not to use any commercial software), but I got through them.

I did see in the news that Google is taking first steps to push Chrome and Android together. Maybe that will be the Windows killer.

I like the idea of an operating system that you can build up to make it as complex as you need.
April 22nd, 2015 at 7:14:39 AM permalink
Nareed
It's UNofficial: Windows 10 (aka. Windows Apology edition) is coming out in late July 2015. I expect Start10 will be out in final release by then.
April 29th, 2015 at 1:29:56 PM permalink
Nareed
Latest half-rumor from Microsoft's Build 2015 conference has it the Aero Glass theme will be back in the release version of Win10.

There were other rumblings about integrating Android and ios apps, something more about voice controls and a new name for the NOT-INTERNET-EXPLORER browser (I call mine Firefox, fancy that).

Too bad I won't take the old laptop to Vegas with me. There I'd have time to play with Win10 some more. And I'm not about to partition the new one and try to beg WiFi to get the several gigabyte-large preview (or am I?)
April 30th, 2015 at 10:28:05 AM permalink
Nareed
apparently MS showed off connecting a cell phone to a Bluetooth mouse, keyboard and monitor.

That's clever, but I thought there was a Linux-based phone out there which could already do that. It had a kickstarter and everything. The idea was to produce inexpensive devices that could work as a PC.

Seriously, it's a half-way good idea. Problem is: what happens when the phone rings? Can you still answer it while composing email or working on a complicated Excel spreadsheet? It seems something has to give, either the phone or the work. I mean, right now I have to disconnect the iphone from its jack, if I want to answer a call while playing a podcast.

The new browser will be called "Edge"

I swear I heard crickets in my mind when I read that.
Page 3 of 7<123456>Last »