5 votes (22.72%)
2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

January 5th, 2015 at 12:56:20 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
PM sent.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
January 5th, 2015 at 1:01:16 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Odd question and possibly a derail, but why do hills matter?

Assuming you end where you start, all inclines and declines cancel each other out to zero. So why is a hilly stretch difficult and a flat one easy? Shouldn't the caloric expenditure be equal?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 5th, 2015 at 1:51:20 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: Face
Odd question and possibly a derail, but why do hills matter?

Assuming you end where you start, all inclines and declines cancel each other out to zero. So why is a hilly stretch difficult and a flat one easy? Shouldn't the caloric expenditure be equal?

Even with running, downhills != negative uphill. Many runners hate long downhill stretches... the braking required to keep your feet placed right is quite a strain. Especially on trails.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
January 5th, 2015 at 2:43:24 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239

Try to slowly lower this tire down a steep hill and let me know if you still feel it is easy.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 7th, 2015 at 1:50:50 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
First 20+ mile ride on my 36" unicycle: Strava entry.
January 7th, 2015 at 2:13:30 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

What The cesspit said.

In addition, you will always spend more energy going uphill than you'll get back going downhill. This is easily demonstrated in any number of ways. Rollercoasters which use gravity to build up speed, for example, have a very long fall right off the bat, then go a somewhat shorter climb uphill. If the uphill slope were the same height as the downhill one, the cars would stop just short of the crest and roll back down.

On the way down and then back up, the rollercoaster train looses energy trough friction and air resistance. So while the total energy is conserved, the useful energy you get from going downhill is lower than the energy you expended going uphill. Ergo the kinetic energy of the train will be somewhat less than its potential energy at the top of the first slope.

I wonder if a treadmill with a downhill incline could be built. People might think they're having an easier time working out.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 7th, 2015 at 2:19:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: TheCesspit
Even with running, downhills != negative uphill. Many runners hate long downhill stretches... the braking required to keep your feet placed right is quite a strain. Especially on trails.

I remember my friend coming back from vacation telling me he had decided to run back down a mountain they had driven up. (this was when we were both in our teens) He said his legs were killing him later. Muscles that didn't get much of a work out got killed.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 7th, 2015 at 5:20:29 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: Nareed

I wonder if a treadmill with a downhill incline could be built. People might think they're having an easier time working out.

Best angle for a tread mill is 0.5-1 degree of incline. Downhill would be even worse on a treadmill, due to the movement of your foot after impact on the belt would be odd... when running down hill, the hard part is keeping you foot impact beneath the body. That, added to the extra drop (and there fore more impact) makes it a bad idea (tm).

For the record, my only running injury was on a long, steep downhill trail during a race... partially tore my right calf muscle when I over strode and slipped.

Finished the race, but wasn't able to run properly for about 8 weeks.
January 7th, 2015 at 6:02:03 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Downhill running is much harder on the knees, as the shock of a straight leg strike pulverizes the padding in the joint.

However, on a unicycle, I hypothesize that it would be easier to do the downhill portions facing uphill and rolling backwards. You could use your weight on the pedals to control the descent like coming down a ladder. The trick would be maintaining balance, but hey, it's a unicycle...
January 7th, 2015 at 7:49:59 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
On a unicycle it takes more physical effort to go uphill but more skill and balance to go downhill. Either way you're going slower than on level ground.