Quote: Evenbob
He can do the tricks in the video and
you can ride one he can't? I like how
easily they remount when they fall
off, like it's nothing. It takes good
balance to ride one, ever try juggling?
That's a balance thing too, you would
be good at it.

Yup. As I wrote earlier the 36" is a beast of another color. I'm sure he could get used to it in just an hour. Another issue is he is about three inches shorter than me so the seat was set too high to the point where he had to extend his foot to touch it.

On the back cover of my book there is a picture of me on my unicycle and juggling. However, you can tell I was about to fall. While I can do both things well, I can't do both at the same time.

Quote: Ayecarumba
What about the Jr. Wizards? Over the years, I have known two families that rode together. It was really cool.

Unfortunately, not. I got my son a kid's size unicycle but he never got far with it.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 19th, 2015 at 8:06:05 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

I wonder if you could do your birthday challenge on a 56" unicycle. I guess you would have to bundle your knees and elbows in padding and wear a helmet, and try to fall near a tree. The time made up with the higher speed would have to be balanced against the potential damage every time you fall on your face.

Did you start this low, or did you begin bigger than this?

I see these ads for $128 Trainer 20 Inch Beginner Unicycle - with a steel frame with a blue finish, UDC wide-flanged CrMo hub, and extra-tough aluminum components, this is a great unicycle for learners and intermediate riders and is designed for all-around use. Approximate cycle weight: 11 lbs. 127mm chrome steel crank arm
January 19th, 2015 at 11:26:45 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
I wonder if you could do your birthday challenge on a 56" unicycle. I guess you would have to bundle your knees and elbows in padding and wear a helmet, and try to fall near a tree. The time made up with the higher speed would have to be balanced against the potential damage every time you fall on your face.

I've never even heard of one that big before. However, 36" is as big as I need to go.

Quote:
Did you start this low, or did you begin bigger than this?

My first unicycle was a 24." In my opinion, 20" ones are only good for kids and doing tricks. Some say it is easier to learn on a 20" but I learned just fine on a 24".

Quote:
I see these ads for $128 Trainer 20 Inch Beginner Unicycle - with a steel frame with a blue finish, UDC wide-flanged CrMo hub, and extra-tough aluminum components, this is a great unicycle for learners and intermediate riders and is designed for all-around use. Approximate cycle weight: 11 lbs. 127mm chrome steel crank arm

I'm not familiar with that brand. However, I will say that whatever unicycle you learn on will get banged up pretty good. You could use that argument either way -- to get a cheap one to beat up on as you're learning and then switch to a good one. However, I would recommend paying the extra money for a good quality unicycle like a Nimbus. I think it could take the hundreds of falls it will go through during the learning process and still be quite rideable afterward. It will also be easier learning on something good.
January 19th, 2015 at 5:35:40 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I agree. If you must skimp, do not do so on the seat. A proper seat makes learning as easy as possible. It is also the piece that will take the brunt of the damage when dropped. I don't know if they make covers or bumpers for uni seats. Maybe there is an opportunity to start up a cottage business providing these types of accessories.
January 19th, 2015 at 5:39:33 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Ayecarumba
I agree. If you must skimp, do not do so on the seat. A proper seat makes learning as easy as possible. It is also the piece that will take the brunt of the damage when dropped. I don't know if they make covers or bumpers for uni seats. Maybe there is an opportunity to start up a cottage business providing these types of accessories.

Nimbus makes good seats with hard plastic bumpers, for lack of a better word, on both ends. The front one has a handle that you can grab.

It isn't just the seat that take a beating when learning but the whole thing. A Nimbus could take it a lot better than a cheap $100 unicycle.
January 19th, 2015 at 6:35:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I saw the Bizzaro World Seinfeld tonight.
In the Bizzaro Jerry's apartment, where
a bicycle usually hangs, a unicycle is
hanging instead.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 29th, 2015 at 2:01:52 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
A lot has happened in my unicycle world since I last wrote.

I purchased a nice $800 36" unicycle, which I'm enjoying much more than my old heavy Coker. It is now my main unicycle and my 29" is feeling neglected.

One day when out on a ride I crossed paths with a biker who said he used to be an avid unicyclist in Arizona but fell out of it when he moved to Vegas. To make a long story short, we've been on about five rides together, including one with another unicyclist friend of his. Both these guys are young strong bucks who are many levels ahead of me. I feel a little bad as the weakest link, but it isn't so bad that they won't ride with me.

Both of them applaud my 50-mile challenge and wish to do it with me. That will likely mean doing it here in Vegas, instead of California, but I think I can manage that, although it will be harder, given the hills and street crossings.

Here are a couple recent pictures. Click on either for a larger version.

I must say that I think my calves are looking good!
January 29th, 2015 at 2:15:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
Both these guys are young strong bucks who are many levels ahead of me. I feel a little bad as the weakest link, but it isn't so bad that they won't ride with me.

So there are unicycle 'jocks'? I was afraid
that was the case. Sigh.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 29th, 2015 at 2:26:26 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
This is the beginning of a "gang". Next thing you know it will be tatoos, denim vests with chain wallets.... hehe
January 29th, 2015 at 2:30:10 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Quote: Wizard
...Both of them applaud my 50-mile challenge and wish to do it with me. That will likely mean doing it here in Vegas, instead of California, but I think I can manage that, although it will be harder, given the hills and street crossings.
Will the weather cooperate? It could be tougher as the mercury climbs in the Spring...

Doing things like this with others is better in a group though. You can encourage, and draft? each other.