3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

January 29th, 2015 at 2:34:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It baffles me how a bike wheel with two
pedals and a seat cost $800. You can buy
a really nice 15 speed bike for that.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 29th, 2015 at 3:25:27 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Ayecarumba
This is the beginning of a "gang". Next thing you know it will be tatoos, denim vests with chain wallets.... hehe

This will be me:

Quote: Ayecarumba
Will the weather cooperate? It could be tougher as the mercury climbs in the Spring...

Doing things like this with others is better in a group though. You can encourage, and draft? each other.

Weather is unpredictable in May in Vegas. My birthday is in late May and I can recall it snowing once. Another day might be pushing 100. I won't go for the full 50 unless the weather is nice.

Quote: Evenbob
It baffles me how a bike wheel with two
pedals and a seat cost $800. You can buy
a really nice 15 speed bike for that.

There are bicycles that run into the five figures, made of titanium or carbon fiber. This is like saying why buy a Porsche when you can buy a Kia for 15% of the price.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 29th, 2015 at 3:44:03 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Wizard

There are bicycles that run into the five figures, made of titanium or carbon fiber. This is like saying why buy a Porsche when you can buy a Kia for 15% of the price.

I've seen something similar. Tried to pick it up and almost punched myself in the face. Probably weighed less than a normal bike's wheel and tire. Always wondered if it would be more difficult to ride. Seems like uneven terrain would have a much greater effect without the weight to steady it.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 29th, 2015 at 4:02:15 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Both of them applaud my 50-mile challenge and wish to do it with me. That will likely mean doing it here in Vegas, instead of California, but I think I can manage that, although it will be harder, given the hills and street crossings.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/357620817/ 25.01 miles CLIMB 2281 ft

You had to up your game!Given that Las Vegas is basically a crater I would think it would be next to impossible without doing at least one lap.
January 29th, 2015 at 4:02:54 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Face
I've seen something similar. Tried to pick it up and almost punched myself in the face. Probably weighed less than a normal bike's wheel and tire. Always wondered if it would be more difficult to ride. Seems like uneven terrain would have a much greater effect without the weight to steady it.

I heavier one might actually be easier to learn on, for the reason you site. However, over long distances you'll feel that extra weight.

January 29th, 2015 at 4:26:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Face
Seems like uneven terrain would have a much greater effect without the weight to steady it.

There are fans of the heavy 3 speed bicycles from the 1950's. Particularly in Britain where gas was very expensive these heavy bicycles were meant to function as vehicles that people took to work. They weren't playthings. As a result, they were built very ruggedly and many have survived the 60 years in good shape.
January 29th, 2015 at 5:16:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The new guys are pretty young, are they going
on the journey with you just to laugh at the old
man if he doesn't make it? I was 50 for a whole
year, not my favorite age. The AARP starts sending
you crap every week.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 29th, 2015 at 5:43:42 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
This will be me:

Bwah ha ha ha... oh man, the milk I was drinking just came out of my nose...

I think you need to start on the moustache now.... a proper 70's 'stache doesn't just pop up overnight. hehe
January 29th, 2015 at 9:06:17 PM permalink
Pacomartin
This will be me:

Will you sing Danny Boy?
January 30th, 2015 at 7:50:15 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
Will you sing Danny Boy?

For you I might.

With that video I think we can end the discussion of whether the sailor is also sometimes a soldier.

In unicycle news, evidently those young bucks pushed me a little too hard on Wednesday and now my back is killing me. I felt something wasn't right with it after the ride but now the chickens have come home to roost and I'm in full pain. At least it is raining here in Vegas so I couldn't have rode today anyway.