2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

February 7th, 2015 at 7:27:52 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
It looks like you did 7.6 miles in the first hour, and up to 15.1 miles by the second hour. It's pretty remarkable that you could maintain speed over the hills at the same rate as the flat. Did you change cranks halfway? there is no mention of crank length.

Except for very steep hills of 5% or more, my speed is pretty much the same. I think it is because I'm just to scared to go faster than 11 MPH on a unicycle. Same thing with skiing, I just don't feel in control past a certain speed and would likely fall/crash.

My cranks on the 36" are 150mm. There are holes for 135mm, but I don't plan to put the pedals there any time soon.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 7th, 2015 at 11:31:58 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
There are holes for 135mm, but I don't plan to put the pedals there any time soon.

Certainly not on hills. Even if you don't go faster on the flats you may be less tired.
February 7th, 2015 at 1:16:34 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Certainly not on hills. Even if you don't go faster on the flats you may be less tired.

Yes, you're probably right. A problem is that there are hills anywhere you go around here.
February 7th, 2015 at 3:30:00 PM permalink
Pacomartin

I figured that somebody, somewhere must make cranks that can be adjusted quickly on the fly. Sure enough, I found some, but they are $800.
February 7th, 2015 at 4:25:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
A lot of the 'hills' in Vegas are only noticeable
if you're walking or biking. Going from the Strat
to Fremont on LV Blvd seems to be all downhill.
Not much, but you would notice it on a bike
going towards the Strip.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 7th, 2015 at 4:46:26 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
going towards the Strip.

I disagree. My car shows me my approximate altitude at all times.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 7th, 2015 at 6:27:21 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
going towards the Strip.

That's nothing. I live way out on the west side of town near the mountains where it is much more steep.
February 7th, 2015 at 6:28:14 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
That's nothing. I live way out on the west side of town near the mountains where it is much more steep.

Quote:
I figured that somebody, somewhere must make cranks that can be adjusted quickly on the fly. Sure enough, I found some, but they are $800.

$800?! This would be something I'd be interested but I wouldn't pay that just on principle alone.
February 8th, 2015 at 6:43:45 AM permalink
Pacomartin
$800?! This would be something I'd be interested but I wouldn't pay that just on principle alone.

It seems insane. Why wouldn't you just get some gears?

I don't know if you saw this video, but he gives you a view so you can see how much wobble you get with different size cranks. At the end he charts out speed differences.on a flat.

February 8th, 2015 at 8:20:07 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I don't know if you saw this video, but he gives you a view so you can see how much wobble you get with different size cranks. At the end he charts out speed differences.on a flat.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that. I could tell there was much less wobble when I reduced the crank length on my 29".

Keep in mind that Terry is much stronger than me and lives in a flat area. If I lived in the LA area I would probably switch to the 135mm cranks tomorrow. However, I can't do a long ride here in west Las Vegas without encountering hills and I don't like to move the cranks in and out frequently. I will probably move to 135mm eventually but am happy at 150mm for now. Also keep in mind my self-mount percentage on the 36" is still only about 1 in 3, and it would only get worse on shorter cranks.

I like the small handlebars, if you could call them that, on that unicycle of his. A problem I have on long rides is my ass gets sore. I'm sure handlebars would help distribute my weight more and help with that problem.