TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Evenbob
And that's exactly the point. When a gun
was needed, he had one. Not really hard
to understand. The NRA is applauding what
he did, it's what they've been saying since
they started.

The NRA can go play in the traffic, thanks.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 23rd, 2014 at 3:05:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: TheCesspit

The NRA is already using him. He's a hero
in my opinion, right out of the old west.
It's his job, he did it, time for a coffee break.
He needs to be knighted.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 23rd, 2014 at 3:21:05 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: kenarman

It is rather interesting that the shooter was shot in the parliament building by the Sergeant at Arms. This is mostly a ceremonial position. He carries the mace into the chambers and the only visible weapon he carries is a sword. He received a long standing ovation from the members of parliament when it resumed today.

Like, the stuff in the can? Or an actual mace?

If the latter, then hey! Kanata just raised a notch.

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 23rd, 2014 at 3:35:09 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: Face
Quote: kenarman

It is rather interesting that the shooter was shot in the parliament building by the Sergeant at Arms. This is mostly a ceremonial position. He carries the mace into the chambers and the only visible weapon he carries is a sword. He received a long standing ovation from the members of parliament when it resumed today.

Like, the stuff in the can? Or an actual mace?

If the latter, then hey! Kanata just raised a notch.

An actual ceremonial mace. The title is ceremonial. The job the holder of the title does right now is far from ceremonial. He's been doing security detail for a while, co-ordinates a lot of people in the house for security, and deal with building upgrades too.

He's also an accurate marksman.

Kevin Vickers will end up with the Order of Canada, no doubt about it.

The NRA of course will make hay on this issue. They are right, when someone needed a gun, they had it. Both Mr Vickers and Michael Zehaf-Bibeau had acess tp a gun when they needed it. I have no idea if the shooters gun was legally registered or not.

The shooting came two days after another guy ran down two soldiers in his car, killing one. In both cases, the perpetrators were shot dead, and in both cases it appears they had recently had their passports with drawn due to concerns that they were about to travel to Turkey and join with ISL.

ISL consider themselves at war with the west, and this means that their supporters will consider military and political targets world wide as fair game. Unlike other, older wars, it's not super easy to see whose on the ISL side in Canada, or the US, or the UK, or France... etc.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 23rd, 2014 at 3:40:57 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Good deal. They should totally incorporate it somehow, though. Perhaps for the next hockey riots? Just send out some kingly bloke with a mace, smiting fools to and fro.

It'll give me something to cheer for during the post-season =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 23rd, 2014 at 3:51:50 PM permalink
TheCesspit
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/sergeant-at-arms-hailed-as-hero-for-stopping-parliament-hill-gunman-1.2066039 - this clip has him with his mace.
October 24th, 2014 at 2:29:57 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

The NRA is not asking to infringe on anyone else's rights when they fight to defend everyone's rights, so I am not sure why so many people take this attitude.
The President is a fink.
October 24th, 2014 at 7:03:01 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: AZDuffman
The NRA is not asking to infringe on anyone else's rights when they fight to defend everyone's rights, so I am not sure why so many people take this attitude.

I don't care for the NRA's opinion and crowing in respect to an incident in another country. I suspect some don't care about my opinion on the US at times....

Quite rightly, the NRA and other gun advocates can respond that they don't care much for my opinion on events in the US. I would agree with them. The US has wide spread gun ownership and a right to bear arms. That causes some frictions, and increases the number of gun related deaths and injuries. Gun owner ship is part of your culture, and many of you view the flip side of benefits of personal security, personal freedoms and protection of your rights under the constitution part of that trade off. That's fine, and part of the national debate you have and will continue to have. People will say more gun ownership would reduce the number of people killed by guns in the hands of criminals. That's possibly true too.

Canada is not the US.

But long gun ownership in Canada is, I think, on a par with the US. This is for cultural reasons too... with a wide rural population, long guns (rifles and shot guns) are common in the hands of farmers and those living in the wild parts of the Great White North. The number of gun related deaths in Canada is far less than in the US. Note also that the criminal in this incident had a long gun but was rapidly taken down by RCMP officers with hand guns (if you watch the footage, there were officers on the scene in minutes).
October 24th, 2014 at 11:30:43 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
But long gun ownership in Canada is, I think, on a par with the US.

shotguns are very different with some 86 million owned in the USA, as opposed to 2.6 million owned in Canada.

Fairly low rate of licenses in population centers.

Province/Territory Licences per 100,000 Population
Yukon 19,627
Newfoundland and Labrador 14,231
Northwest Territories 12,380
Nunavut 9,682
Saskatchewan 9,405
New Brunswick 9,266
Nova Scotia 7,904
Manitoba 7,027
Alberta 7,018
Quebec 6,239
Nationwide 5,891
British Columbia 5,672
Prince Edward Island 4,418
Ontario 4,317

NICS background checks per 100,000 residents (Dec. 2008 – May 2010):
1. 134,028 Kentucky
2. 30,315 Utah
3. 25,745 Montana
50. 1,536 New Jersey
51. 155 Washington, D.C.
October 24th, 2014 at 11:53:43 AM permalink
TheCesspit
The Long Gun registry for unrestricted fire arms in Canada was ended in 2012. The existence of the registry was hugely expensive and it was a factor in the Liberals loss in the last election, as a hugely unpopular policy in the rural areas. It was stupidly expensive to run.
Page 2 of 4<1234>