Can I pray to Satan in school?

Page 8 of 8« First<5678
November 16th, 2014 at 11:53:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: aceofspades
I leave this in the capable hands of EvenBob as these issues do not concern me as I do not believe in these fairy tales and arguing over them is pointless

It is pointless and I weary of it too. Some
people devote their lives to tilting at
windmills, it makes them feel like life
has a purpose. Good for them, soldier
on. In the end, it doesn't matter.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 16th, 2014 at 11:54:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
I don't get your main point here Bob, the deserted person on an island won't know that Saturn has rings

I love it when you're purposely obtuse, padre,
it's so endearing.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 17th, 2014 at 5:40:17 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I don't know why you think I'm being obtuse. You argued that because someone on an island wouldn't naturally come to know who Jesus is that makes the notion of Jesus not natural and false, I think you compared it to Santa (you are so lame). Anyway, my response was to point out there are a lot of natural and true things that this person on an island will not come to understand or know, why are these things still true and reality of Jesus is not?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 17th, 2014 at 6:06:19 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I leave this in the capable hands of EvenBob as these issues do not concern me as I do not believe in these fairy tales and arguing over them is pointless

Quote: Evenbob
It is pointless and I weary of it too. Some
people devote their lives to tilting at
windmills, it makes them feel like life
has a purpose. Good for them, soldier
on. In the end, it doesn't matter.

I better not hear you guys talk or argue over TV shows and movies and other truly meaningless stuff. It is so sad to me that people consider the most important questions to be pointless or tilting at windmills. Questions like - Where did we come from? Is there a God? Is there a purpose or meaning to life? Is there right and wrong? How do we come to know things? What can I trust or have faith in? - are essential for us all to wrestle with and whether you rationally think about them or not you have an answer to them that greatly effects how you live your life. Wouldn't it be better to have some well thought out answers to these questions instead of throwing in the towel when asked to think a little bit about them?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 17th, 2014 at 9:25:25 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
I better not hear you guys talk or argue over TV shows and movies and other truly meaningless stuff. It is so sad to me that people consider the most important questions to be pointless or tilting at windmills. Questions like - Where did we come from? Is there a God? Is there a purpose or meaning to life? Is there right and wrong? How do we come to know things? What can I trust or have faith in? - are essential for us all to wrestle with and whether you rationally think about them or not you have an answer to them that greatly effects how you live your life. Wouldn't it be better to have some well thought out answers to these questions instead of throwing in the towel when asked to think a little bit about them?

It seems one of my posts was not posted…it said:

The guy left alone to grow up on an island can still actually see Saturn when looking in the night sky (depending on the time of year).

Moreover, there really are no questions I need answered. I live, I will die, that will be it. I will never know anything beyond my own insignificant minuscule planet.
November 17th, 2014 at 11:11:01 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Bad arguments.

No one left alone would ever have the opportunity to learn about history. The only history he would know is that which he observes based on his own mental state. If the deserted person ate some bad mushrooms and hallucinated that a large bunny was God, well that would be his history.

Saturn having rings can be discovered by created a magnifying glass with the appropriate magnification.
Calculus can be derived with a fantastic aptitude in math.

God is an abstract. Left alone on a desert island, only your mind would be responsible for the creation of a deity if only to have something besides one's self, variance, and un-understood physics explained through the mystical.

The existence of Jesus Christ is real. Whether He is your Saviour or not is up to you to believe and have faith in. Period.

And yes, I believe in religious freedom. Pray to whomever you want. I also think schools should have the opportunity to discuss weaknesses and strengths of religions: why Jesus might be a better alternative than flying spaghetti monsters, and so on and so forth. And I also think that school leaders should have the choice to either engage all religious beliefs or none (but not in between).
November 17th, 2014 at 11:15:24 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5

Moreover, there really are no questions I need answered. I live, I will die, that will be it. I will never know anything beyond my own insignificant minuscule planet.

The existence and meaning of the planets were a major force in ancient times. They were treated as special objects separate from the stars (because they were). Its appearances, retrogrades (for the outer planets), transits, and eclipses were seen as meaningful events.

You said it yourself, I will never know anything beyond my own insignificant miniscule planet. Discovering the universe put perspective into us earthlings. When you know that other planets and other gas giants exists, you get to realize how insignificant you truly are. Yet when you beleive that you are special because everything revolves around *you* then you tend to get megalomaniac tendencies.

Just sayin'
November 17th, 2014 at 1:34:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Wouldn't it be better to have some well thought out answers

I get my own answers, you use somebody
elses. Each to his own. Most atheists I meet
are above average in intelligence, why is
that.
November 19th, 2014 at 7:51:48 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The guy left alone to grow up on an island can still actually see Saturn when looking in the night sky (depending on the time of year).

If he's a sharp guy, who keeps track of his observations and discovers the background stars and such stars as do appear to move. See, even naked eye astronomy is a quite complex science. I can spot Venus when it's up because it's hard to miss. That's about it.

Quote:

If you won't know anything outside your planet, how would you know it's minuscule and insignificant? ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 19th, 2014 at 11:59:57 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Nareed
If you won't know anything outside your planet, how would you know it's minuscule and insignificant? ;)

If the universe is infinite, the earth is at
the center, just as the Church thought.
But not is the way they meant..
Page 8 of 8« First<5678