"Cult of Mary"

Page 47 of 47« First<44454647
October 26th, 2015 at 10:20:54 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote:
Mother Teresa encouraged members of her order to baptize dying patients, without regard to the individual's religion. In a speech at the Scripps Clinic in California in January 1992, she said: "Something very beautiful... not one has died without receiving the special ticket for St. Peter, as we call it. We call baptism ticket for St. Peter. We ask the person, do you want a blessing by which your sins will be forgiven and you receive God? They have never refused. So 29,000 have died in that one house [in Kalighat] from the time we began in 1952."

The part in bold. It doesn't say they are going to baptize the person. It says they are going to give them a blessing. I know there is more than one kind of blessing.

Why do you suppose they didn't ask: Do you wish to be baptized into the Church of Christ so your sins will be forgiven and you will receive God?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 26th, 2015 at 12:26:38 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Are you sure we are not splitting hairs here. Maybe Mother Teresa thought of baptism as a blessing, which in many ways it is. Maybe as the thousands of people watched what happened when the sisters "blessed" them and saw it was a baptism, they still never refused.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 26th, 2015 at 12:44:56 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I'm just wondering if the people knew they were being baptized, and knew what that meant.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 26th, 2015 at 12:52:36 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I thinking they did. In fact usually as adults you go through 9-months of classes called RCIA to be baptized at Easter. I reckon that these people in Mother Teresa's care understood more about the unconditional love of our Heavenly Father after 9 days than 9 months of lectures or classes could ever teach.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 26th, 2015 at 1:19:59 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Dalex64
Why do you suppose they didn't ask: Do you wish to be baptized into the Church of Christ so your sins will be forgiven and you will receive God?

Because they lack the honesty of a used car salesman?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 47 of 47« First<44454647