Do it yourself

May 12th, 2015 at 2:20:57 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
How do I get rid of pigeons within city limits?

I used to do this professionally.

This is a complex issue. First off, fake owls or balloons only work for a day or two. They will then notice that it is fake and come right back.

First question is can you describe the problem more? How are they behaving? Do they come and go?

Now, after you define the problem you have to look at where they are on the property. Birds either nest, feed, or loaf. They are on a perch somewhere doing one of these things. Feeding birds are harder to get rid of than loafing, and nesting are harder to get rid of than feeding.

Look and see whee they perch. I am sure they are flying all around, but before and after flight they land and perch somewhere. Probably some kind of ledge. Now, when you find the ledge, then you have to exclude them from that area. For loafing birds there a product called HotFoor(R) that is a gel that they do not like landing on. I do not recommend that for a DIY as it is usually used because it is cheaper.

Use a spike like Bird B gone. I used this under my deck to keep the robins from making a nest.

As you make life harder on them they will move on, just like putting burglar proofing to your home just makes the crooks decided to heist next door instead of your joint. They may perch elsewhere on your property, so be prepared to do this again. Clean the droppings and use a respirator when you do as they are bad news.
The President is a fink.
May 12th, 2015 at 2:44:59 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

I bought a nice air pellet rifle but it zings them out there at over a 1000 fps. I am afraid to launch it in my neighborhood for fear of ricochet.

I fired this once at a somewhat used burning barrel and it went through one side.

How are your long bow skills? =)

Get one of those bow fishing outfits and shorten the line to 50' (or whatever is a safe length). Skewer one, reel it in, toss it in the trash, wait for the next. Line your deck with kebob skewers upon which you will place each head as a warning to the others. Have the Mrs. fetch your beers and you'd never have to leave the lawn chair! =D
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 12th, 2015 at 5:33:01 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: AZDuffman
First off, fake owls only work for a day or two. They will then notice that it is fake and come right back.
I've heard tell that this be known as the digital age, so how 'bout a Raspberry Pi Owl? It moves its head and body from time to time, it talks in owl talk and in English to remind you that its time for another beer. It sprays cayene pepper into the air from time to time and it issues an appropriate whistle if a pretty woman walks by.
May 12th, 2015 at 8:51:21 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
... They will then notice that it is fake and come right back.
They seem to feel the same way about rock throwing, shouting and spraying with the garden hose. One stood there and enjoyed it like he was taking a shower.

Quote:
First question is can you describe the problem more? How are they behaving? Do they come and go?
They sleep somewhere else, and start coming in mid morning to see if the feeder has been filled. A powerline about 40 ft. away is a perch for them to patiently wait. All their heads are turned in unison watching the feeder. I put the finch feeder in my dying lemon tree and some inevitably sprinkles out on the ground. The pigeons used to be satisfied with what fell to the ground and let the little guys sit up above and feed. Now I have more than a dozen waltzing around under the feeder and around the lemon tree. I can tell the bulls get all puffy necked and do the pigeon dance. Like he has a harem going. They are getting braver and now fly up and cling to the feeder until it dumps a load on the ground.

I have several of the bird b gone spikes and they work great, but I have to cover all the flat spaces on my patio or even the doves will build nests there.

Quote:
As you make life harder on them they will move on, just like putting burglar proofing to your home just makes the crooks decided to heist next door instead of your joint. They may perch elsewhere on your property, so be prepared to do this again. Clean the droppings and use a respirator when you do as they are bad news.
This might be a good idea also. If I put the feeder in a cactus, most birds won't perch there but the little guys seem pretty immune.

I recalled you mentioning you had experience with these guys. It has become irritating.

Another question. I don't see how I can clean up the area under my lemon tree where they undoubtedly pooh. My yard is pinkish gravel. Do you think trying to dissolve it with the water hose and maybe spraying with food grade hydrogen peroxide might make it safe? I worked under a bridge in Portland and there were several warnings about pigeon poop? I don't know why it is more dangerous than say chicken poop, but I never have been warned about the latter.

If I live trap them, how far do you think I have to haul them away before they don't come back? Note; they aren't homing pigeons, just the run of the mill bridge variety.

Also, why don't people eat this kind like they do the squabs? ps, another side business is pigeon removal, or other pests. I would easily have put a bounty on stray cats in the community dumpsters. It seems many low budget homes frequently neglect to take "fluffy" with them when they move. I read some county in [I think] Wisconsin figured they lost a million song birds per year to feral cats.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 12th, 2015 at 8:57:35 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Face
How are your long bow skills? =)

Get one of those bow fishing outfits and shorten the line to 50' (or whatever is a safe length). Skewer one, reel it in, toss it in the trash, wait for the next. Line your deck with kebob skewers upon which you will place each head as a warning to the others. Have the Mrs. fetch your beers and you'd never have to leave the lawn chair! =D
That does sound like something I would have done. I know we would use a sling shot and fire firecrackers at bats. Fun times : )

Long bow? I started that way but ended up a wheel and cam man.

I even had a crossbow once. There is a reason those are outlawed most places for hunting. Unbelievably deadly.

I also cut myself pretty bloody one time with a broadhead.
May 12th, 2015 at 10:03:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
How do I get rid of pigeons within city limits?

I once thought about this solution while in downtown Vegas watching the things bob around at everything from pebbles to cigarette butts.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 12th, 2015 at 10:29:53 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: rxwine
I once thought about this solution while in downtown Vegas watching the things bob around at everything from pebbles to cigarette butts.

I like it, Thor's Hammer.
May 13th, 2015 at 2:39:18 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Another question. I don't see how I can clean up the area under my lemon tree where they undoubtedly pooh. My yard is pinkish gravel. Do you think trying to dissolve it with the water hose and maybe spraying with food grade hydrogen peroxide might make it safe? I worked under a bridge in Portland and there were several warnings about pigeon poop? I don't know why it is more dangerous than say chicken poop, but I never have been warned about the latter.

Not sure why it is more dangerous, but pigeon droppings can spread hantavirus for one IIRC.

Quote:
If I live trap them, how far do you think I have to haul them away before they don't come back? Note; they aren't homing pigeons, just the run of the mill bridge variety.

Won't matter. I heard of a guy capturing them at a plant near Syracuse and taking them north of Saratoga Springs. They will show back up. If you trap them just do the deed. They are not endangered and are a nuisance. If you want, put an ad on CL for people who eat them, supposed to be good eating. Otherwise find a humane way to put them down.

Quote:
Also, why don't people eat this kind like they do the squabs? ps, another side business is pigeon removal, or other pests. I would easily have put a bounty on stray cats in the community dumpsters. It seems many low budget homes frequently neglect to take "fluffy" with them when they move. I read some county in [I think] Wisconsin figured they lost a million song birds per year to feral cats.

See above, some people do eat them. My grandfather told me a guy had him and his cousin kill a bunch and the guy's wife cooked them up. As to the cats, that drives me nuts. There are groups that catch-fix-release them so the "cats can live." We are a sad nation when we go to that much trouble for feral animals. OTOH they might help control vermin. Still if you cannot keep a pet don't just release it.
The President is a fink.
May 13th, 2015 at 4:26:24 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Passenger Pigeons were slaughtered in this country by the millions so there should be lots of recipes around for pigeon meals or perhaps you can market 'organic cat food'.
May 13th, 2015 at 1:30:48 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Fleastiff
Passenger Pigeons were slaughtered in this country by the millions so there should be lots of recipes around for pigeon meals or perhaps you can market 'organic cat food'.

If enough folks did this ...hehe, the price of McNuggets would have to go up...