Do it yourself

Page 68 of 68« First<65666768
April 19th, 2017 at 6:14:00 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 111
Well there's the dog you were talking about.

No one has ever proven I am not God.
April 19th, 2017 at 9:02:21 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 47
Dog? There is a dog in the photo??
April 19th, 2017 at 10:35:19 AM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61
Quote: Ayecarumba
I've got a broken pane of glass in a single hung window. The frame is about 60 years old and needs to be replaced, so I suppose this is the time to do it. However, is this a job I should attempt by myself? My fear is that I'll tear a hole in the side of my house, but for some unknown reason, not be able to put in the new window right away. I am also a lot less concerned about the aesthetics of both the inside or outside (it's a bedroom window facing the backyard) than Mrs. Carumba, but my survival instincts are telling me that there is going to be some rough waters to navigate if she isn't pleased by the results.

Call in a contractor, or leave the safe harbor, and set sail? Anyone tried to do this alone?

I've dabbled in windows, and it is said dabbling (as opposed to having "dove into") that makes me a little leery.

None of it looked all that terribly complicated, assuming you have shims handy. That was probably the "hard" part, just shimming it so it was level. But a single window approx 2' x 4' is something I've seen an active drunk running 5' 7" / 150lbs and with no spinal disks do by himself times beyond count. Concerning aesthetics, the interior should be cake. I've a 3" piece of trim around my bay window, and 3" allows for a lot of oops room. My concern would be the exterior as I don't know what you have. Vinyl siding I'm familiar with and it's perfectly easy to disassemble and move out of your way, but changing its dimensions will bring some concerns. If the window's a tick wider the siding itself can be easily trimmed back, but then the rails around the window will be too small. If the window is a tick smaller, then the siding will be too short. Any change to either means a new piece, and unless it's less than a year old or you live above the 30th parallel, you'll never match the color.

I won't give you ye olde "IS NO PROBLEM!" on this, especially because this will put a large hole in your house. As always, I suggest you pull this up on YouTube, as I know you'll find a perfect step by step for this project. Invest the 30min as there's a great chance it'll save you several hundred dollars, and if it's within your abilities, go for it. And if it's not, then you also just saved several hundred by not getting in over your head.

Good luck, and report back!
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 19th, 2017 at 11:04:03 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 79
Thanks Face! The outside is stucco. Currently, there is a wooden sill that will also need to come out, and I have no idea what it is like underneath it. I've got some thinkin' to do on this. Thanks for the youtube tip. I'll check it out.
April 19th, 2017 at 6:39:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 105
Quote: Fleastiff

It's all young people stuff, have an adventure
you'll always remember. In 1960 John Steinbeck
set off in a camper to see the USA and write
about it. He was in his late 50's.

The result was Travels with Charley, that being
his dog. It was a NYT bestseller for years and
assigned reading in school. Problem was, it
turns out he made most of it up. After a few
weeks he realized the people he met were
boring as toast and there was nothing to write
about. He also hated living in the camper.

So he spent most of his time holed up in hotel
rooms making up his travels. His wife would
often fly in and meet him on weekends.

Van life hasn't changed. Go and watch some of
the videos of the couple in this article on Youtube
and tell me that's a life you want. It's a young
persons life with no kids and no mortgage and
no future. No thanks. They're just the new hippies.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 19th, 2017 at 7:11:40 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 47
Quote: Evenbob
It's a young persons life with no kids and no mortgage and no future. No thanks. They're just the new hippies.
Some of those hippies got rich, some stayed hippies all their lives. When I visited a commune near Seattle, I met some of those aging hippies. I also toured quite a few converted buses equipped with solar panels. Still lots of rice and tie-dyed cotton and incense and sandals,,, stuff like that. Hippies were never extinguished, they just stayed out of sight and out of the headlines. One of the favorite beaches for hippies in California was at the San Onofre reacctor, until they levied a two dollar a day entrance fee. It was a gathering spot for hippie chicks seeking to be companions in vans/buses, then it all shifted to Santa Cruz, CA and Bolinas, CA (no highway signs indicating the way to Bolinas and hippies on the city council freely issuing permits for tree houses). Many hippies settled down to mundane lives such as Alicia Bay Laurel who gave up communes for a paying job. Many of the hippie kids born in communes featuring pot, nudity and free love left communes for more 'normal' lives.

I never realized Travels with Charley was pure utter fiction, probably should have.

I read the Walk Across America books and felt they were authentic. (The walk south and the way west, I think). New York to Portland, OR via New Orleans all of it on foot. There was a follow up on people and restaurants visited enroute.

Its the Internet and sites such as Patreon that act as Sponsorship Brokers that make the present day vagabond lifestyle economically more sustainable.
Page 68 of 68« First<65666768