Do it yourself

June 23rd, 2017 at 12:23:42 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: DRich
I don't know exactly what size the filter is but it looks like this.

They are a real joy when working well. I just replaced a ten foot section of mine, [total of 30 ft]. It was a real PITA, but I put the misters where I wanted them versus just every 18 inches or whatever the prefab length is? It always seems like the commercial systems work better than mine? And I am forever changing out plugged jets.

My FIL had that roof you spoke of, I wondered if it would help to run a soaker or something on top of it as well, it would turn into an oven on his patio.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 23rd, 2017 at 2:04:02 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Strawberry plants on the roof. A good soaking and its cool as well as fire proof. Intravenous tubing for the mister. A blast of pure air every now and then and ain't nothing gonna clog. Can you hold things in place with a magnet?
June 23rd, 2017 at 2:12:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
You could use spring clamps if you can use the edges of the roof to hold the system in place. I have seen misters just on the edges where that might work.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 23rd, 2017 at 2:42:10 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
My big project this weekend is to put up a misting system on my patio cover.
Ya gonna play recorded thunder just before each misting the way the supermarkets do? You going to add Mediterranean Fig Tree OIl to the water the way The Venetian and The M Resort do?
June 23rd, 2017 at 4:01:48 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: petroglyph
I just replaced a ten foot section of mine, [total of 30 ft]. It was a real PITA, but I put the misters where I wanted them versus just every 18 inches or whatever the prefab length is? It always seems like the commercial systems work better than mine? And I am forever changing out plugged jets.

The kit I bought also allows you to put them at whatever spacing you choose. I wanted that specifically so I could avoid putting over the BBQ. I'm not really expecting very much from this system as it wasn't very expensive and is just the cheap plastic hose (not PVC). If I decide it is worth it I will install a more permanent solution.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 23rd, 2017 at 5:02:46 PM permalink
petroglyph
I'm not really expecting very much from this system
As long as it's working, the feeling should be nearly the same as a system costing 5 times as much? It drops the temp on our patio from 10-15 degrees and with any breeze at all, the vapor feelings delightfully refreshing.
Quote:
as it wasn't very expensive and is just the cheap plastic hose (not PVC). If I decide it is worth it I will install a more permanent solution.

I have fairly cheap pvc. One part that I really wish was better quality is the little couplings that are threaded for the jets. Those are plastic threads, and if I never had to change the jets out, the threads would last a long time. But it seems each successive change of the jet, I tend to snug them up a little tighter each time as the O rings shrink. Then when the threads strip, I can never get the jet to seal again and they drip. That's why I just had to change a section out.

Some kind of metal coupling with metal threads would be really superior. That and I haven't found a satisfactory supplier for the little O rings. They seem like they are a special little deal? I saw some that were close at the hardware store, but they are gouging over a buck apiece. That may sound cheap of me, but if you see how small they are and how often they fail, the store should sell bags of the proper replacements in lots of at least five, like they do the jets? IDK, a pet peeve I guess.

They also sell bottles of jet cleaner, until I found that, I have been soaking mine in vinegar? Turns out the "long soak" approach I utilized killed the O rings. I was told some people soak theirs in CLR cleaner.

How do you keep the calcium ring off the tile on your pool?
June 23rd, 2017 at 5:15:38 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: petroglyph

Some kind of metal coupling with metal threads would be really superior. That and I haven't found a satisfactory supplier for the little O rings. They seem like they are a special little deal? I saw some that were close at the hardware store, but they are gouging over a buck apiece. That may sound cheap of me, but if you see how small they are and how often they fail, the store should sell bags of the proper replacements in lots of at least five, like they do the jets? IDK, a pet peeve I guess.

If the o-rings are a problem try some liquid gasket on the threads. It drys into a rubber but stays soft enough that you should still be able to remove the nozzles when necessary.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 23rd, 2017 at 8:10:08 PM permalink
petroglyph
If the o-rings are a problem try some liquid gasket on the threads. It drys into a rubber but stays soft enough that you should still be able to remove the nozzles when necessary.
Sounds good.
June 24th, 2017 at 12:11:27 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I would suggest this and then get a nice Japanese model that will last for another 200k miles.

How dare you, sir.

Quote: AZDuffman
Maybe go wooden bed and get a replacement front fender. Then run it into the wheels off!

I think that bridge has been crossed...

Quote: Evenbob
It's been on the road 20 years, the sub frame
is probably rusted through.

Only one way to find out, right?

I started pulling the bed off yesterday, and I do mean pulling it off. I just grabbed and pulled. Opened a hole big enough to look at the foundation, and ya know, I though it'd be worse. The very rear-most isn't that great, but alls that's connected to it is the trailer hitch and the rear spring mounts. It would be nothing to just lop it off and fab up a replacement. I then put a jack under the receiver to really get under, and the damn thing snapped off. I ain't never seen that before. That was like .25" steel! Couldn't even hold a thousand pounds. I repositioned it under the hitch, got it up, and just laughed.

Both spring mounts are gone. Pops thought the bed had rotten and fallen on the springs, but it was the springs that broke loose and shot through the bed. Neither side is attached; it's like a one link suspension XD

It's such a mindf#$% viewing the underside. There's plenty that mirrors the spring mounts. Many things are so rusted the steel has done that "bloomin onion" thing where it swells into petals of rust. Completely unsalvageable. And it don't take no rocket surgery to imagine that pretty much every single other thing is in the same condition. If the bloomin onion steel ain't enough of a sign, the bloomin puddle of oil underneath it should get the point across.

But that frame. I can't believe it, but it's still black. The very underside is of course a bit scaly, but it is on par with that of my current truck. And the sides, they're completely black. It's as if it's sat at petro's house the last ten years. I checked the trouble spots, like where the crossmembers are connected as the salt and sand usually just sit on these places eternally. But man, other than the very tips of the rear rails, I can't find a single spot that would need anything more than media blasting.

Any sort of daily is out the window. It needs too much. But project? Dream truck included bags, so the bunk spring mounts would be going anyway. And it ain't much of a dream with a tired, factory motor...

Pah. Too many other wants and desires. Timing is wrong and I don't want to store this for 5 years until I'm ready.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 24th, 2017 at 1:43:03 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
My big project this weekend is to put up a misting system on my patio cover. It would normally be a very simple task except my patio cover is "Alumawood" which is really just a very thin textured aluminum. I just need to figure out how to fasten it without putting screw or holes in the aluminum because that will void the warranty.

Could you use nylon zip ties? The other suggestion is to put cinder block "anchors" on the roof and hang the piping off of them. I don't know how much weight your roof can handle though.