Video Games

Page 16 of 17« First<1314151617>
December 8th, 2022 at 6:48:56 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
Why not just use nukes and conquer everyone?

That means a huge investment in science to develop nukes
Over investment in science to make sure you get nukes 1st, you have to sacrifice in other areas
People can get unhappy because you are not building stadiums and opera houses
People unhappy, economy can tank.
Dont spend enough on science, other civ gets nukes before you.
Its complicated
Its a classic guns or butter game. Its a fine balance that can get unbalanced very easily.
War kind of sucks
While you are spending resources defending yourself, another Civ on the other of the planet at peace is spending all their resources on science beating you to nukes.
You make the planet angry with nukes, UN can vote to embargo your the goods you sell to keep your economy going.
One time I tried world conquest. Its tough because other countries gang up not to defeat you with military but wreck your economy with embargoes.
Its a fascinating game
Currently playing right now
Civilization 5 is way way way better then civilazation 6
I play random map continents and random leader
Playing the Arabs in the desert. Only have 4 cities but pretty powerful cities
I'm at about year 1650 and really concentrted resources on a navy
Just discovered every civilization on the planet so I host the 1st United Nations meeting
Sometimes you got to spend money on allies to make sure the UN votes your way. Thats money you are not spending on science. Its a fine balance.
1st goal is keeping people happy and well fed. 2nd goal is building a kick ass economy. Once economy humming and people happy, spend on science.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 8th, 2022 at 7:18:56 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
That sums it up really well.

One thing I learned from the marathon game was clicking through quickly to next turns when nothing is really happening except developments that happen over time. I watch the side bar of the game to see if a new event pops up, but occasionally that doesn't catch everything I need to know earlier, so I keep some previous turns option open in case I need to use it for that reason.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 8th, 2022 at 7:27:25 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: rxwine
That sums it up really well.

One thing I learned from the marathon game was clicking through quickly to next turns when nothing is really happening except developments that happen over time. I watch the side bar of the game to see if a new event pops up, but occasionally that doesn't catch everything I need to know earlier, so I keep some previous turns option open in case I need to use it for that reason.

There is a ton of information I ignore
Most of the game I ignore all the foreign city state requests
I only pay attention to them late in the game when I need their UN votes
I'll generally pay them off for their votes. Embargoes suck.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 8th, 2022 at 11:11:41 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I have never heard of that game but it seems to me if it was realistic you cold just steal state secrets to build your nukes. That is how it is done in the real world.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 8th, 2022 at 12:03:16 PM permalink
rxwine
I have never heard of that game but it seems to me if it was realistic you cold just steal state secrets to build your nukes. That is how it is done in the real world.

You can steal technology secrets including nuclear because you can have spies. And you can steal gold and forment discontennt and revolts with them.

But the whole process can take quite a while to reach completion even that way. If you get far enough in, you can even create giant death robots. (that's what they are actually called). I only got one in one game so far. But woe to you if your civilization has to face them.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 8th, 2022 at 12:35:40 PM permalink
terapined

Uggh
I hate it when spies steal my tech secrets
Its ying yang
Do you use your top spies to protect your tech or do you use them to steal
Sometimes trying to steal gets your top spy killed and another country angry
You can even enter into research agreements with other countries sharing the cost of research.
Its a fascinating game
Its about trying to find the perfect balance between guns and butter while trying to advance your civilization past others
March 7th, 2023 at 7:28:07 PM permalink
rxwine
I wonder if I'm learning tactics from the Russians? In the current Civ 6 game I made a bunch of extra scouts. They served as cannon fodder taking an enemy piece's attack and or a enemy city range attack freeing up my more dangerous pieces to take at least one or more free strikes.
April 11th, 2023 at 7:50:11 PM permalink
JessieJim
Threads: 0
The games which I played are only Sims and Witcher and I suppose they're the best
May 13th, 2023 at 7:45:50 AM permalink
terapined
Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
Just out yesterday
Playing now
Just 1 day and I have determined that this is the greatest video game ever made
May 13th, 2023 at 7:58:59 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: terapined
Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
Just out yesterday
Playing now
Just 1 day and I have determined that this is the greatest video game ever made

Is it on Switch? I might try it, but you're going to have to write a more lengthy review to convince me. I'll be shocked if I even like it better than A Link to the Past; there certainly hasn't been a LoZ game I've liked better so far.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
Page 16 of 17« First<1314151617>