Video Games

Page 14 of 17« First<11121314151617>
September 18th, 2021 at 5:45:05 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Some technical innovation in VR. I'd consider it expensive for most teens, but sub 2k price is pretty cheap if you have a job.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 18th, 2021 at 7:18:11 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
Some technical innovation in VR. I'd consider it expensive for most teens, but sub 2k price is pretty cheap if you have a job.

I don't think that I can get into VR. Even as impressive as the new generation is turning out to be, its hardly even a video game any more, its a simulation.

When I am playing games, I usually am in a chill, drink beer, and play some games mood, I don't want to be sprinting at full capacity on a treadmill or low crawling around on a treadmill. This just looks like work. I have nothing against it, its impressive, but its just not for me.

I can see this being useful for realistic military and even work place simulators. But, for fun I just don't see it. Even back in the day I never liked the Wii, I don't want to wave my hands around to simulate motion that is what a controller (or better yet mouse and keyboard) are for.

It also does not help in that most games I enjoy are either turn based or very slow paced strategy games (with some exceptions), so VR would be wasted on them.

That's just my preference, I have no doubt that I am probably in the minority with this view.
September 18th, 2021 at 8:54:47 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Gandler

I don't think that I can get into VR. Even as impressive as the new generation is turning out to be, its hardly even a video game any more, its a simulation.

When I am playing games, I usually am in a chill, drink beer, and play some games mood, I don't want to be sprinting at full capacity on a treadmill or low crawling around on a treadmill. This just looks like work. I have nothing against it, its impressive, but its just not for me.

I can see this being useful for realistic military and even work place simulators. But, for fun I just don't see it. Even back in the day I never liked the Wii, I don't want to wave my hands around to simulate motion that is what a controller (or better yet mouse and keyboard) are for.

It also does not help in that most games I enjoy are either turn based or very slow paced strategy games (with some exceptions), so VR would be wasted on them.

That's just my preference, I have no doubt that I am probably in the minority with this view.

It won't be totally used for gaming. "Simulation" is a good use. The more senses you involve the more realistic it becomes. I expect eventually, wind fans, vibration, perhaps fine liquid spray, smells. Imagine walking in a Star Wars or Lord of the Rings movie on the field of action. The roar of star cruisers coming up behind you and passing feet overhead. Alien troops passing you and enormous crowds coming towards you. The sense of size already is there on all models. You sense giant things are giant and great heights are high. Giant orcs and walking machines appear as if they were real size.

Or if you're into to realistic events, you could relive historical events, like Omaha Beach invasion. Sounds awful, and not relaxing, but I'm sure some would opt for that as well.

You can also send people who are for one reason or another into places they may never experience otherwise.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 18th, 2021 at 3:06:42 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Idon't know why but I still look down at people who are over 30 and playing video games.

I know, it is ridiculous and I am not sure why I do that.

I also hate seeing adults wearing sports jersey's of their favorite teams or players. Jersey's are for kids. A T-shirt is fine.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 18th, 2021 at 3:28:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: DRich
Idon't know why but I still look down at people who are over 30 and playing video games.

I also hate seeing adults wearing sports jersey's of their favorite teams or players. Jersey's are for kids. A T-shirt is fine.

S'okay. I've been dealing with critics since I grew long hair at 16. It's always something.
September 18th, 2021 at 5:55:43 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

I still play video games
Its fun
and
I love my 2 old throwback jerseys, Number 19, home white and away blue. Johnny Unitas
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 22nd, 2021 at 5:41:39 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4

I think the same about people who join adult sports leagues and take it seriously.
September 22nd, 2021 at 7:24:43 AM permalink
DRich
Quote: gamerfreak
I think the same about people who join adult sports leagues and take it seriously.

Where I would disagree with you is people who join sports leagues and don't take it seriously. If you aren't going to take it seriously, don't join.
September 22nd, 2021 at 7:51:00 AM permalink
rxwine
Where I would disagree with you is people who join sports leagues and don't take it seriously. If you aren't going to take it seriously, don't join.

Sports ARE games.
September 22nd, 2021 at 8:28:51 AM permalink
DRich
Sports ARE games.

And games are competition. Don't play unless you are trying to win.
Page 14 of 17« First<11121314151617>