Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

July 31st, 2022 at 11:34:57 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Here is a video accessing the accuracy of the movie. By the way this is a great channel as they look at a lot of movies
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 1st, 2022 at 4:48:34 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Production Budget for "Bird Box", Sandra Bullock's post apocalyptic horror filme, was $19,800,000
Production Budget: for "The Gray Man", Ryan Gosling & Chris Evans Netflix film was $200,000,000

"The Gray Man" and it spent 8 days as #1 for Netflix. The movie obviously has high production values, but like most Netflix projects with big actors it is fairly empty headed with virtually no suspense.
August 2nd, 2022 at 6:45:23 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
That is a pretty good summation, and I completely agree with that review.

I did start reading the book, its excellent, but only about 20% through, when I finish I may post about it in book section.
August 2nd, 2022 at 8:21:37 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Pacomartin
Production Budget for "Bird Box", Sandra Bullock's post apocalyptic horror filme, was $19,800,000
Production Budget: for "The Gray Man", Ryan Gosling & Chris Evans Netflix film was $200,000,000

"The Gray Man" and it spent 8 days as #1 for Netflix. The movie obviously has high production values, but like most Netflix projects with big actors it is fairly empty headed with virtually no suspense.

I just watched Gray Man. I thought the story was decent but I hate action movies so I fast forwarded through about a quarter of the movie to skip all of the shootout scenes.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 2nd, 2022 at 8:27:34 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: DRich
I just watched Gray Man. I thought the story was decent but I hate action movies so I fast forwarded through about a quarter of the movie to skip all of the shootout scenes.

I actually use fast forward a lot when I stream
Makes the shows more enjoyable if I can skip the BS
Take Better Call Saul
Some of the characters I like a lot like Nacho or Mike. I skip over a lot of Kim's stuff
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 6th, 2022 at 6:02:22 AM permalink
terapined
Train wreck Woodstock 99
Wow
What a disaster
Great documentary
3 episodes for each day of the festival
August 6th, 2022 at 6:46:20 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Sandman, the 75 issue comic book series written over 20 years ago, considered unfilmable by many people, has been brought to life on Netflix by the comic book creator, Neil Gaiman.

Rotten Tomatoes reviews were largely positive except only 1 out of 9 of the "top critics" rated it fresh. I've seen two episodes and I can see it dividing people.

I keep thinking it has only been two decades since Peter Jackson wowed the world with computer graphic imagery in The Lord of the Rings trilogy, but today such imagery is fairly common.
August 6th, 2022 at 4:01:45 PM permalink
terapined
Sandman, the 75 issue comic book series written over 20 years ago, considered unfilmable by many people, has been brought to life on Netflix by the comic book creator, Neil Gaiman.

Rotten Tomatoes reviews were largely positive except only 1 out of 9 of the "top critics" rated it fresh. I've seen two episodes and I can see it dividing people.

I keep thinking it has only been two decades since Peter Jackson wowed the world with computer graphic imagery in The Lord of the Rings trilogy, but today such imagery is fairly common.

I'll have to check it out
I've only read one of his books
American Gods
It was pretty weird but in a good way
August 7th, 2022 at 5:08:07 AM permalink
terapined

Great graphic imagery has been an anime staple for decades. One of the reasons I like anime.
Watched 2 episodes and part of episode 3
I may not finish
Too much supernatural and no reality
Kind of reminds me of Harry Potter with too much supernatural. I like supernatural but mixed with reality like Archive 81 which I think was brilliant. Find it hard to get into Potter or Sandman
I may or may not watch the rest of Sandman
August 7th, 2022 at 4:42:28 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Villains or antagonist
S1 E1 · Sleep of the Just: The Corinthian, Roderick Burgess, Alex Burgess
S1 E2 · Imperfect Hosts: The Corinthian, Ethel Cripps, Cain & Abel
S1 E3 · Dream a Little Dream Of Me: The Corinthian, Ethel Cripps, John Dee
S1 E4 · A Hope in Hell: Lucifer, John Dee
S1 E5 · 24/7: John Dee
Quote: terapined
I may not finish Too much supernatural and no reality

S1 E6 - The Sound of Her Wings ...

Episode #6 was the first without an antagonist. You would think it would be dull, but it was suprisingly heartfelt. The beautiful Kirby Howell-Baptiste plays Morpheus's sister and Ferdinand Kingsley plays Morpheus's experiment turned friend.