Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

December 16th, 2016 at 7:47:56 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: zippyboy
Like you, I loved the movie, so I watched Westworld every Sunday till the end, and I didn't like it, here's why.

The intro with credits is tooooo long, like two+ minutes per episode.

Wow
You watched the whole season and did not like it?
If I don't like a series, I don't finish it.
The only thing I watch at a scheduled time is sports
Everything else I watch when I want to watch
Due to streaming, I simply skip the credits
unless
I really like the intro
Game of thrones, I always watch the intro. Good music and clever graphics of the towns
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 16th, 2016 at 10:44:22 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: zippyboy
Like you, I loved the movie, so I watched Westworld every Sunday till the end, and I didn't like it, here's why.

The intro with credits is tooooo long, like two+ minutes per episode.

The stories are mostly told to the audience, rather than shown. Some stories are just too convoluted, like with Arnold and Bernard and Delores and Wyatt. It's like they force feed it to us and expect us to catch it as they say it, instead of just showing us simpler stories by acting them out. I watched every episode and still don't know what happened in the end, and I don't care.

I realize that hosts can be killed and guests can't. But there were a LOT of scenes where guests couldn't possibly by guaranteed their safety, like with the gattling gun during the train heist, or any bomb blast where shrapnel can go anywhere. How can all the guests possibly know all the other guests, and just shoot randomly? I get that hosts might know each other by invisible chips or bluetooth or whatever, but do bullets or arrows also have bluetooth and disintegrate before hitting a guest? So silly, since killing robots and screwing robot prostitutes is what Westworld is selling. Is that really worth the $40,000/day price? Man In Black has been coming back for 35 years just to kill Delores or something? Silly. Many scenes are robots wandering the streets or playing poker in the tavern killing each other even when there's no guests present! I envisioned the Sims computer game....would they kill each other while I'm at work, not watching? LOTS of scenes where hosts are taking guests out into the woods, and meeting with other hosts/guests, and shooting starts all over the place....how do guests NOT get shot?

Writers seemed to change storylines throughout regarding Hopkins' Ford character, or Ed Harris' man in black. Like, the early episodes wouldn't have gone that way given what we learn later in the series. That will become more evident for those who binge-watch. Like, why does MiB search for the maze so determinedly? How did he learn of it? Seems like a manufactured plot for no reason.

In the start, I thought the female leads weren't attractive enough to hold my interest. In a show with lots of nudity, Thandie Newton did a few scenes (nice), and wanted to see more Clementine (kinda on the fence whether she was fine-as-hell, or kinda oddball looking, finally decided she was fine-as-hell), and I never cared to see Evan Rachel Wood nude, and she never did. Maybe next season they can cast more nude-worthy actresses in a nude-friendly series. It IS HBO after all. Nice they cast that niece actress from Banshee, but then never nude? WTH? That girl fine!

I welcome feedback and explanations.

I still have three episodes to go, so I can't really comment.

I will say that I fast forward through the opening credits. Too long.

At this point in the season, I find the Dolores/William storyline to be the most tedious. I don't really care about their relationship. I find Thandie Newton's character and her evolution to be the most interesting.

And the Ed Harris/maze stuff seems to me to be an attempt to give the show an overarching mythology a la LOST. Not sure I'm buying that.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 16th, 2016 at 12:01:34 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: ams288
And the Ed Harris/maze stuff seems to me to be an attempt to give the show an overarching mythology a la LOST. Not sure I'm buying that.

Nearly every fantasy or sci-fi television series has tried to install the overarching mythology.

Twin Peaks (1990) was all about the mythology and it only lasted 30 episodes

X-files (1993) would distinguish between the MOTW (Monster of the Week) episodes and the ones devoted to the mythology. That way they could attract new viewers while at the same time trying to make addicts out of the repeat viewers.

TV executives basically won't OK this kind of series anymore unless there is a mythology aspect to the show.
December 16th, 2016 at 12:10:08 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Pacomartin
Nearly every fantasy or sci-fi television series has tried to install the overarching mythology.

Twin Peaks (1990) was all about the mythology and it only lasted 30 episodes

X-files (1993) would distinguish between the MOTW (Monster of the Week) episodes and the ones devoted to the mythology. That way they could attract new viewers while at the same time trying to make addicts out of the repeat viewers.

TV executives basically won't OK this kind of series anymore unless there is a mythology aspect to the show.

For me, the show that balanced the monster of the week/mythology episodes best was Buffy the Vampire Slayer (specifically seasons 1-5. I never particularly liked season 6. And season 7 got a little too serialized for its own good).

God I loved that show.

In season 5, there was that episode about the robot girl walking around looking for the guy that created her. It was nothing special. Felt like a filler episode. Then at the very end Buffy goes home and finds her mom dead on the couch. Then the next episode was one of the very best of the entire series: The Body.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 16th, 2016 at 2:18:10 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: ams288
Then the next episode was one of the very best of the entire series: The Body.

Possibly one of the best TV episodes of all time.

I wasn't trying to shortchange Buffy, but I as trying to establish who developed the paradigm. The 60's shows like Star Trek , Voyage to the Bottom, and even Night Stalker didn't really have a mythology. They had some elements that tied the show together, but it wasn't the same thing as building a mythology.

The X-files had already aired a hundred episodes before Buffy began.
December 16th, 2016 at 4:12:24 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Babylon 5 had a mythology and even prophecies (because Sinclair --SPOILER!!). And history.

It was part of the story arc, and done on purpose.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 16th, 2016 at 6:13:20 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
Babylon 5 had a mythology and even prophecies (because Sinclair --SPOILER!!). And history. It was part of the story arc, and done on purpose.

That's a good point. Babylon 5 begin after X-files had aired the first 12 episodes. So they were both founders of the paradigm.
September 10, 1993 X files pilot
January 26, 1994 Bablyon 5 series pilot
December 16th, 2016 at 6:46:13 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
January 26, 1994 Bablyon 5 series pilot

I think it took almost a year between the pilot movie and the first season.

the legend, though, is that JMS had the story arc written, or at least planned, long before shooting began. I can't swear that's true, but without the arc, B5 would have been a low-budget Trek clone remembered, if at all, only for pioneering digital effects.
December 16th, 2016 at 6:48:32 PM permalink
Nareed
Is Amazon Prime Video worth the trouble?

I received an introductory offer for $3 US per month for the first six months. That sounds good, but I'm far more likely to pay one month or two while I binge, and then cancel.

More important, does it work on Chromecast? If not, there's on point to it really.
December 16th, 2016 at 8:54:27 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
More important, does it work on Chromecast? If not, there's on point to it really.

Amazon doesn't officially support Google's Chromecast API, people will need to Chromecast Amazon Prime videos using the Google Chrome web browser and the Google Cast extension.

The Application Programming Interface (API) offers documentation to interact with the sender or media content and to work with the receiver or the display screen. Sender API reference covers parameters for configuration, requests, and all that is related to media (volume, display, TV show). Receiver API consist of parameters for cast receiver, media playback, and possible properties (connected, inactivity, standby).