Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

December 16th, 2016 at 10:57:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: ams288
. And season 7 got a little too serialized for its own good).

We actually agree on something. 6 and 7
sucked. I loved the Buffybot, I like how
they sneaked a Buffy sister into the show,
I liked the tongue and cheek of the whole
series.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 17th, 2016 at 11:08:00 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Pacomartin
My biggest problem is that they took a genuine hero, and turned him into the man who single handily saved Western Civilization.
Pretty much nobody did anything single handedly during the war. Even that PBS show with terrible plots but good location choices "Women of Bletchley Circle" depicts the contributions of endless banks of clerical help and people simple driving "adding machines" of the day.

A few bold strokes of daring helped: Imaging what a tired and lazy reel-changer might do, realizing that no repeats always meant there was a defet somewhere, etc.

I think there is a new edition due out soon but the best book on the major codes and codebreaking efforts of WWtwo is Big Machines by Stephen Kelley. Its only available in nine libraries world wide so don't look for it at your local library or at Barnes and Noble or anything.
December 17th, 2016 at 11:16:46 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Video comes in "interlaced" or "progressive".
North American standard television dating to WWI is 480i because only 240 lines are changed each time.
High definition is either 720p or 1080i. A progressive 720 is called high definition.
Heck, I can't even watch Amazon in HD. I get messages saying my bandwidth is too narrow, my cables are obsolete and my operating system is so old my version of Chrome won't accept most of Amazon's content. I don't think I've ever seen anything on Amazon Prime Video wherein sound track adn image were anywhere near in synch or motion of the characters was not jerkey with frames obviously being dropped.
December 17th, 2016 at 11:22:58 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Twin Peaks (1990) was all about the mythology and it only lasted 30 episodes
Twin Peaks? Filmed just east of Seattle? Weird and unusual but "mythology"? What mythology?

This is enough to make me want to go to a more contemporary Twin Peaks.... the "hooter's-like" restaurant chain.
December 17th, 2016 at 11:40:53 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Fleastiff
Twin Peaks? Filmed just east of Seattle? Weird and unusual but "mythology"? What mythology?

This is enough to make me want to go to a more contemporary Twin Peaks.... the "hooter's-like" restaurant chain.

The Black Lodge. Bob. The Log Lady. The Owls. All that stuff.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
December 17th, 2016 at 12:30:20 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Fleastiff
Heck, I can't even watch Amazon in HD. .

I was having problems streaming Prime
too, then I tried Internet Explorer
instead of Firefox or Chrome and it
works flawlessly now. I haven't used
Explorer in 6 years, I forgot it was even
on my computer.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 19th, 2016 at 6:37:05 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
"The OA" is Netflix's new series. I would recommend it, but I am still not sure what genre it is supposed to be.

It starts off like your typical sci-fi series, then it seems like it going to be similar to ET (another homage to the 80's). Then it starts to seem like a fantasy show, or person with otherworldly power. By the second show it looks like it is going to be a straight up thriller. Two episodes in, I am completely unsure of the genre.

The pace is one of slow development. The meaning of the title is still not explained. I find it impossible to watch for two hours, so I just watch one episode every few nights.
December 19th, 2016 at 6:57:02 PM permalink
Evenbob

The pace is one of slow development. The meaning of the title is still not explained. I find it impossible to watch for two hours, so I just watch one episode every few nights.

I looked at the reviews, a ton of one and
two stars, not usually a good sign. I'll
wait till you're done with it and see what
you say,
December 19th, 2016 at 7:09:43 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I watched it, and enjoyed it.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 19th, 2016 at 8:27:56 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Has anyone started watching the show about the Medici's? I have some free time after Christmas and was wondering if it was worth watching. I saw the first episode and it seemed okay.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (