Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

May 13th, 2019 at 4:07:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: FrGamble
Has anyone seen "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs"? I thought it was awesome!

Excellent movie. You don't see many anthology films recently.
May 14th, 2019 at 5:18:21 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Not sure if it is new or been discussed, but as I write this watching "The Perfect Bid." Enough TPIR fans here I figure someone should care.

Guy's favorite is Holly, so he can't be all bad.
The President is a fink.
May 14th, 2019 at 6:34:07 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: terapined
Starting tonight on HBO
CHERNOBYL
looks pretty good

1st episode was great.
Its like a horror movie in that many of the people in the story are not to concerned while the audience is well aware of the massive dangers
It so stunning the downplaying of the incident as it develops by the people in charge

2nd episode was great the Russians come to terms with how serious the accident
Very well done
Real heroes risking there lives.
One scene was eerie , at the hospital, they gathered all the firemen's clothes and dumped them in the basement
They are still there to this day and it remains one on the most radioactive areas in the abandoned city.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 14th, 2019 at 10:35:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I was right about Ricky Jay looking
like crap in Sneaky Pete. He died
when it was half done and they
had to write around him. He looked
really awful.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 15th, 2019 at 9:10:05 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
May 15th, 2019 at 12:36:29 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I still need to watch Bandersnatch.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 15th, 2019 at 7:28:11 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Starting tonight on HBO
CHERNOBYL
looks pretty good

30min in. I think I discovered a new human emotion.

You should watch the documentaries.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 15th, 2019 at 7:49:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
[
30min in. I think I discovered a new human emotion.

Suicidal boredom? I haven't seen it
yet, it's no good? From the reviews:

It's boring - at no time does the viewer get involved, there never is a sense of danger or even urgency, just a cartoonish slide show of one of the most tragic events in recent history .

Great production is absolutely destroyed by absurd behavior of most characters

They're all British. This was an incident in the Ukraine. Why is everyone acting like they're in Britain? It pushes the show into absurdity.

The script is mostly made up and a distortion of an important part of history, I have to warn people not to take this seriously.

Absurd that they made everyone have a British accent. Ruined it for me.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 15th, 2019 at 8:25:08 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Critic
They're all British. This was an incident in the Ukraine. Why is everyone acting like they're in Britain? It pushes the show into absurdity.

These people are dips#$%s. Pretty sure no English was spoken during the incident, either, but here we are. WGAS?

It's s#$% in that all dramatic adaptations of reality are s#$%, so there's that. The Soviets are definitely a caricature that veers into absurdity, stuff like that.

But I've seen probably every doc on this subject that's been made. Read bits here and there. Having a picture to go with all those words, even if dramatized and not based entirely on fact, just does something. I'm not watching a show, I'm watching a representation of real horrors that beggar my own belief. Never has something made me cover my face out of (fear?), but I just did it for an hour straight. Don't even want to breath in the photons that illuminated the fake image of that ash and dust.

My reaction is very much based on the incident rather than the film. People f#$%ing melted, man. I vaguely remember reading quotes from a man who had been inside, speaking about one of his guys than went into the core to shut it down and save that corner of the world. I think my brain purged it; I can't remember a word, only that it was haunting on a level I couldn't handle.

Ep 2 is on now. I can't type and cover my face at the same time.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 15th, 2019 at 8:50:59 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Compare how the Russians handled Chernobyl to how the Japanese have not dealt with Fukushima. The Japanese are handling that disaster like Hillary handled losing the election. lol I don't believe they have even located the core of three reactors.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/03/07/national/eight-years-triple-meltdown-fukushima-no-1s-water-woes-slow-recede/#.XNzd3I5KjIU
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW