How do you use your cell phone (vote for as many as apply)

Page 1 of 41234>
Poll
1 vote (5%)
4 votes (20%)
1 vote (5%)
1 vote (5%)
5 votes (25%)
7 votes (35%)
1 vote (5%)

20 members have voted

March 25th, 2015 at 3:29:07 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Pew research says as of May 2013, 63% of adult cell owners use their phones to go online.About 34% of cell internet users go online mostly using their phones, and not using some other device such as a desktop or laptop computer.

Scratch Wireless argues that 66% of their customer purchase a phone from them and never pay anything else. For $100 you get a phone with a real keyboard that will work talk/text/data on wifi, but only text via cellular. Should you need to talk or get data access from cellular you can buy a short lived pass. Voice for 24 hours is $2. Voice for 30 days is $15. Unlimited data is $25 for 30 days (not clear what speed).

The argument is that most people don't need full data access from everywhere. At a minimum most people pay about $150 for two phones with full high speed data access.

BTW I think that Scratch Wireless is fudging their data. I think they mean that at any given time 66% of their customers do not have a pass. But I don't think that their business would be profitable if 66% of their customer never ever bought even a day pass.

March 25th, 2015 at 3:33:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Emergency only, $60 for 6 months.
I can't imagine calling anybody if
it wasn't an emergency. I hate talking
on the phone, can't wait to get off.
Been that way since I was a kid.

Buckminster Fuller never owned a
phone. He said it was like having a
rope tied to your ankle and when
somebody wanted you, they just
jerked on the rope. I totally get that.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 25th, 2015 at 4:50:54 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
It is my only phone, no landline. I text several people regular. I get text alerts for notary signings, which means money. Keep an eye on my email. And I use it as a hotspot in courthouses all the time.

I didn't see the need for a smartphone at first, but then someone showed me one app. I use it for business all the time. By using an app that pays you I bought a Mantis tiller and other items. My life would go multiple steps back if I did not have it.
The President is a fink.
March 25th, 2015 at 4:58:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Never gotten a text, sent one or know how
to send one. Got no plans..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 25th, 2015 at 5:09:32 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
No smart phone, dumb flip phone. Use only voice and texting.
I love the flip phone because no chance of pocket dial and reminds me of star trek.
I generally have a 7 in tablet with me but its not a phablet, just a tablet. I can surf if I can get a wifi signal.
I text a lot. Its great. Short and instant and you can communicate back and forth at a leisurely pace while doing other stuff.
Recently bought a ladder off craigslist. Called, spoke to the seller then he texts me his address. Dont have to write it down.
No land line.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 25th, 2015 at 5:24:14 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
It is my only phone, no landline.

Quote: terapined
No land line.

Landlines are vanishing. Some people call them wirelines, as they may use the cable service, as opposed to Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS) which still uses the copper lines. The thing about POTS is that there are huge back-up battery stations maintained by the phone company that tries to give you a dial tone 99.999% (the five nines) of the time you pick up a handset. The presumption is that you have at least one phone that is not cordless and works in a power outage.

Family data plans seem kind of expensive, considering you must still pay for home internet and television
http://blog.laptopmag.com/best-family-data-plans
March 25th, 2015 at 5:31:16 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I don't know the difference between a cell phone call and a wireless connection.

I had texting ability for several years but only started to l send real texts (SMS) a year ago On my phone messages are texts but voice messages are cell phone recordings.
March 25th, 2015 at 5:47:47 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I use my smart phone a lot mostly work but personal as well. If I couldn't text I would never hear from my grandchildren. I still use my laptop when I am at home for data but no longer need to travel with it since I can do everything I need to on the phone. Makes travel much easier and no computer in the vehicle or hotel room to get stolen.

When I am setting up equipment I can have the signals the equipment send to monitoring text to my cell which is a huge improvement over having to phone and have someone else interpret the signals that are being received.

I do all my banking and bill paying on-line and I can access this information on the road now.

My parents have both been gone for sometime but it was a huge comfort to know I could be contacted on the road easily when their health was failing even with when only analogue cells were available.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 25th, 2015 at 5:58:57 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
Landlines are vanishing. Some people call them wirelines, as they may use the cable service, as opposed to Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS) which still uses the copper lines. The thing about POTS is that there are huge back-up battery stations maintained by the phone company that tries to give you a dial tone 99.999% (the five nines) of the time you pick up a handset. The presumption is that you have at least one phone that is not cordless and works in a power outage.

Family data plans seem kind of expensive, considering you must still pay for home internet and television
http://blog.laptopmag.com/best-family-data-plans

And a lot of what is keeping land lines is things like alarm systems and (at least it used to be) satellite TV. More are in use because it is near no cost or even cheaper to bundle with cable and internet. Of course cable is dying at an increasing rate as well. I usually don't use a huge amount of data, but a few months a year I run it up at the courthouse.

On that note I have gotten a short-term gig but could go longer. Hopefully they have data for us to use. Last place did, I got the "honor" of bringing it most days. Either way after a month will feel good to be working at least for a project.
The President is a fink.
March 25th, 2015 at 6:15:34 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I replaced my landline with a mobile device that my regular home phones plug into.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Page 1 of 41234>