Jesus & Horus. Coincidence?

Page 11 of 12« First<89101112>
April 1st, 2015 at 7:41:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: kenarman
What is the right answer then Padre to this test of your faith????????????

Religious people act like life is a Parker
Bros board game and all the rules are
written in the lid of the box. Violate
a rule and you're done. The truth is,
the reward for conversion is you get
to live and retract it in the future.
If you believe in god, what do you care
what some other man thinks. It's
what's in your heart that god supposedly
knows, and that's what counts. Dying
for some words has be the lamest form
of suicide there is.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 1st, 2015 at 7:54:46 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
If you do go against your conscience under duress it is not something you should be held guilty for or made to feel ashamed. At the Last Supper St. Peter vehemently said he would never deny the Lord, even if he had to die! By the time the cock crowed good old Peter under pressure from the crowds and onlookers had denied Jesus three times. He wept bitterly but Jesus saw Him after the Resurrection and forgave him and established him as the leader of the Church. Nobody is saying you have to become a martyr. However, it is folly to think that those who do chose to die for some words they hold very dear to their hearts do something wrong or are committing suicide?!? Maybe you have never felt so strongly about something that you would be willing to die rather than utter a blasphemy, but maybe you should not be so quick to judge those who do.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 1st, 2015 at 7:56:36 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob

The religion of death.

Happy Easter to you!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 1st, 2015 at 8:06:00 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed
But if you have an allegedly all-merciful, loving god commanding death over mouthing meaningless words or performing meaningless actions, either your ideas of love and mercy are really odd, or you have an inverted sense of values. It means you value death over life, and more over that life is valuable only insofar as it may lead to a noble death.

The key to your argument is that the words you say and your actions are meaningless. If what you say means something, if what you do matters greatly, then choosing to remain true to your words and convictions means you value truth over a whole slew of other things. Truth is more important than pain, suffering, fear, lies, falsehoods, violence, and even death. To remain in the truth is to truly live.

Jesus says, "I am the way, the truth, and the life."
April 1st, 2015 at 8:07:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
Happy Easter to you!

That's right, the death celebration is
this weekend. Jesus dies yet again,
metaphorically. Why do they call it
3 days. From Fri afternoon till Sun
morning is 40 hours at best, a day
and a half. The tomb was empty
on Sun because he'd already been
moved to his permanent tomb
that had been given him by a
rich supporter. They couldn't
do it on Fri because the sabbath
was Sat, so waited till sunrise Sun
morning. Sorry, the truth is the truth..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 1st, 2015 at 8:12:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
it is folly to think that those who do chose to die for some words they hold very dear to their hearts do something wrong or are committing suicide?!? .

It's folly to think it's anything BUT suicide.
Anything you do that you know leads to
your death is suicide. Ever hear of 'suicide
by cop'? That's exactly like religious suicide
in that you're refusing to do what the cops
are telling you, and they kill you for it.

Religious suicide is exactly the same. They
kill you for not doing what they want. The
fault for your death is on you, not them.
April 1st, 2015 at 8:20:13 PM permalink
FrGamble
The days were considered to begin a sundown. If you died on Friday before sundown that was a day, Saturday, and then after the Son had Risen on Sunday - the third day.

The truth is the Resurrection really and truly happened. Nothing else explains Jesus appearances, the helplessness of the authorities to produce any evidence of His body or tomb, or that after the Resurrection event a small scared group of followers huddled together in the upper room gripped by fear would suddenly have the courage to fearlessly proclaim the Truth that changed the world forever - He is Risen, Alleluia!
April 1st, 2015 at 8:27:14 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob

Anything you do that you know leads to
your death is suicide.

The fault for your death is on you, not them.

Please think a little bit before you respond. Is the soldier who charges the hill committing suicide? The man who jumps on a grenade or steps in front of the president; are they committing suicide? Are they at fault for their own deaths? How about the man who refuses to say where his friends are hiding to save their lives? Is he really to blame for his death and not the terrorists because he did something that would lead to his death?
April 1st, 2015 at 8:40:13 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The key to your argument is that the words you say and your actions are meaningless.

If I were to say "I accept Jesus as my lord and savior," that would be meaningless in two counts: 1) I don't have the faintest idea what that means and 2) even if I understood it, I wouldn't mean it; ergo it's meaningless. Likewise if some left-over hard-core Roman pagan forced me to offer a sacrifice to a dead emperor.

Quote:
If what you say means something, if what you do matters greatly, then choosing to remain true to your words and convictions means you value truth over a whole slew of other things.

Not necessarily. Actions and words under duress are meaningless. If you must force someone to say something or to act, it's clear that's not their own free will. See above.

Now, some actions go beyond the pale. I would rather die than kill someone else, or even than injure someone else.

But, tell me, if someone forced you to say "Jesus is a myth," would that alone make Jesus a myth? Would you believe Jesus to be a myth if you said it? Would you die rather than say it?

Quote:
Jesus says, "I am the way, the truth, and the life."

This being your version of Not-Passover and all, I'll let this one slide.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 1st, 2015 at 9:40:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
The man who jumps on a grenade or steps in front of the president; are they committing suicide? Are they at fault for their own deaths?

Of course it's suicide, what else. Who told them
to do it? They told themselves. Your problem is
you think suicide is a bad thing, so bad that you
go to hell for it. So you have to call certain
suicides something else to get those people
off the hook from going to hell. Making a
decision to kill yourself is just that, the circumstances
make no difference. Religions job is to complicate
everything simple until it makes no logical sense
to anybody. That's how they control the peanut
gallery.
Page 11 of 12« First<89101112>