Jesus & Horus. Coincidence?

Page 4 of 12<1234567>Last »
March 27th, 2015 at 6:22:27 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: petroglyph
Why do you say that?

I still think of a doctor who is not treating a wound as primarily someone who gives you something to eat or swallow. I meant that in primitive times they probably did both, but primarily they smeared a topical ointment on you. Sometimes it had medicinal properties, but it was probably also to protect you.

There is also the tradition of annointing someone to be a future monarch.
March 28th, 2015 at 5:46:04 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Just for the record Paco's post was the first I had heard of the argument of "diabolical mimicry". It is not the only argument out there and as already pointed out is not the best.

The first argument is that in trying to make such strict and obvious parallels between things like Horus and Jesus like Evenbob attempted in the OP you have to twist, deform, and make up so much that one should really question if this argument is really as earth shattering as Bob would like it to be in his dreams. She earlier posts about Horus' supposedly 'virgin birth', etc.

Secondly, there are for sure some similarities. These are explained by the glimmers of truth God, not the devil, may inspire in us. In varied different cultures and time periods, some of which would have little in any interaction, we find similar themes and religious ideas. These point to a deep truth we are searching for that is fulfilled in Jesus Christ.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 28th, 2015 at 7:44:37 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
Secondly, there are for sure some similarities. These are explained by the glimmers of truth God, not the devil, may inspire in us.

Your explanation is the same as Paco's but with a different lead character.

Than I guess the Odyssey was a glimmer of truth Indiana Jones inspired in the ancients. It's good to realize adventurous archaeology goes back that far in history.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 28th, 2015 at 12:03:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed
Your explanation is the same as Paco's but with a different lead character..

Exactly! FrG is saying exactly the same thing in
a more subtle way. Of course there are similarities
between the Jesus myth and previous myths,
god 'leaked' some to truth the ancients about what
was to come.

This kind of thinking can explain any and everything.
Got no logical answer? God did it. Got no possible
reason? God did it. God, who can't be proven, is
the Catch 22 answer for every possible question.
You tell yourself this, and go merrily on with your day.
I keep saying this, that if the Church had it's way we'd
still be in the 12th century technology wise. The Church
has to be dragged kicking and screaming into every new
century.

Look at their modern stance on birth control, Gays, women,
priests and nuns marrying. The Church is always the last
to catch up with society. Progressive it's not.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 28th, 2015 at 12:21:35 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed
Your explanation is the same as Paco's but with a different lead character.

Than I guess the Odyssey was a glimmer of truth Indiana Jones inspired in the ancients. It's good to realize adventurous archaeology goes back that far in history.

In my explanation it is not just the lead character but the motivation is also radically different. The fact that there are vague similarities gives credence to and is another of the many converging probabilities that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is true.

I think we've talked before that every great story from the Odyssey to Indiana Jones shares in a similar basic theme of heroic sacrifice. From Shawshank to Spiderman the stories that really mean something to us are reflections of, copies of, or variations on the theme of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 28th, 2015 at 12:27:19 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
if the Church had it's way we'd
still be in the 12th century technology wise. The Church
has to be dragged kicking and screaming into every new
century.

You really do never tire of being wrong. Look at who was at the forefront of science and technology at this time and moving forward, it is the Catholic Church.
March 28th, 2015 at 12:38:02 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

I think we've talked before that every great story from the Odyssey to Indiana Jones shares in a similar basic theme of heroic sacrifice. From Shawshank to Spiderman the stories that really mean something to us are reflections of, copies of, or variations on the theme of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Then again, all mammals and several higher functioning animals possess a sense of sacrifice. Look how elephants react within their herd, or the trials, tribulations, and personal struggles a mother penguin goes through. No reason to think a human would be any different. Really, the only difference is we have this insane intellect, which allows us to artfully express the thing we see around us. It allows us to write stories expressing the things we find within. Stories like "Saving Private Ryan". Stories like "Shawshank".

Stories like the Bible.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 28th, 2015 at 12:49:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
and moving forward, it is the Catholic Church.

That you believe that the Church was always
for moving forward is the wrong part. The
polar opposite is true. I've pointed out numerous
examples but my sources were always 'wrong'.

lol
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 28th, 2015 at 12:56:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
In my explanation it is not just the lead character but the motivation is also radically different.

Claiming some supernatural being, god
or devil, what's the difference, planted
info about the future in past myths is
an answer given when all reason and
logic has failed. It's a last ditch attempt
to explain what you don't want explained.

That the Jesus myth was indeed mostly
ripped off from past myths, mostly
Egyptian. Makes sense, Egypt and the
area where Jesus lived are very close to
each other.
March 28th, 2015 at 2:52:46 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
In my explanation it is not just the lead character but the motivation is also radically different.

No, it isn't. Both characters re trying to recruit for their side, using the same means.

Quote:
From Shawshank to Spiderman the stories that really mean something to us are reflections of, copies of, or variations on the theme of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I haven't read the Jesus myths (I'm already an atheist). But from what I've heard, it seems when Jesus and his followers were threatened, he plain folded and allowed his enemies to kill him. If it's any consolation, that last does ring true.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 4 of 12<1234567>Last »