Jesus & Horus. Coincidence?

March 29th, 2015 at 8:47:46 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
In my opinion Ghandi died for equality and this equality for him was proved by his religious understanding. It is similar to the modern civil rights movement. MLK, Jr. believed in equality for all because of his religion. I dare you or anyone to hold that his stance was selfish or the ultimate in folly. Even suggesting that Jesus' life, or that of Ghandi's or MLK, Jr.'s is all about being 'full of myself" goes way beyond folly to straight up pitiful.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 29th, 2015 at 9:16:18 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I know some people absolutely enjoy some things I hate. And I'm sure the opposite is true.

What is a sacrifice in this case? If I absolutely hate doing something it is a sacrifice for me to do it, but that is not an absolute quality as far as I can tell.

If I find the fine life empty and without real joy and give up worldly goods and find happiness helping the poor, is that a sacrifice?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 29th, 2015 at 10:04:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Even suggesting that Jesus' life, or that of Ghandi's or MLK, Jr.'s is all about being 'full of myself" .

That's what hero worship is all about, the
stories told about them after they die.
Take Mother Teresa. She is a called a
saint, yet was she really? Or just more
PR hype from the Church. Even before
she died she got lots of critics who
said she lived a life far different than
she wanted people to believe.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/04/mother-teresa-myth_n_2805697.html
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 30th, 2015 at 6:48:16 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
Take Mother Teresa. She is a called a saint, yet was she really? Or just more PR hype from the Church.

Are you really bashing Mother Teresa?

March 30th, 2015 at 7:12:37 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
Are you really bashing Mother Teresa?

She is human, far from perfect.
This is a story i heard about her years ago just going by memory.
There was a bank scandal in California.
Some corrupt bank owner was spending the banks money on himself.
He actually gave a large donation to Mother Teresa out of bank funds he stole.
Well the guy got caught and went on trial.
He had Mother Teresa write a letter to the judge and prosecutor stating that this was a good man due to his donations to her.
Well the prosecutor wrote back to Mother Teresa saying that the donation was stolen money and a lot of struggling families would appreciate getting their stolen money back.
Of course Mother Teresa never responded.
Bottom line, Mother Teresa can be bought :-(

EDIT looked it up, here is the link
https://howgoodisthat.wordpress.com/2008/07/13/charles-keating-gave-other-peoples-money-to-mother-teresa/
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 30th, 2015 at 7:59:21 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
In my opinion Ghandi died for equality and this equality for him was proved by his religious understanding. It is similar to the modern civil rights movement. MLK, Jr. believed in equality for all because of his religion.

Dr. king was an ordained minister. Gandhi wasn't religious as far as I know. I don't even know which religion he followed.

As for Martin Luther King, his best speeches and pronouncements rarely even mention Jehovah. The essence of his argument was simple: people shouldn't be judged by non-essentials and intangibles, but by their behavior and actions. Christianity does not follow this simple premise, preferring to judge people by belief first and actions, if at all, later.

Quote:
I dare you or anyone to hold that his stance was selfish

His actions and dedication were wonderfully selfish. He was acting for himself and those he loved, not for his enemies. He was a truly great man in every sense that matters.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 30th, 2015 at 8:46:24 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed

His actions and dedication were wonderfully selfish.

Wonderfully selfish is an oxymoron. It is as meaningful as married bachelor. Here is the end of my favorite speech of Martin Luther King, Jr. given the night before he was assassinated:

"Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it really doesn't matter with me now, because I've been to the mountaintop.

And I don't mind.

Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land!

And so I'm happy, tonight.

I'm not worried about anything.

I'm not fearing any man!

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord!!"
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 30th, 2015 at 9:46:03 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Wonderfully selfish is an oxymoron.

"Throughout the Centuries there have been men who took the first steps down new roads, armed with nothing but their own vision."

Makes perfect sense to me.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 30th, 2015 at 10:17:39 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Nareed
Dr. king was an ordained minister. Gandhi wasn't religious as far as I know. I don't even know which religion he followed.

Gandhi was a Hindu, and his beliefs were religion should have a practical effect on the world.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 30th, 2015 at 10:55:52 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
In my opinion Ghandi died for equality and this equality for him was proved by his religious understanding. It is similar to the modern civil rights movement. MLK, Jr. believed in equality for all because of his religion. I dare you or anyone to hold that his stance was selfish or the ultimate in folly. Even suggesting that Jesus' life, or that of Ghandi's or MLK, Jr.'s is all about being 'full of myself" goes way beyond folly to straight up pitiful.

Strawman argument
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW