The constraints of being a Curmudgeon on health and welfare.

July 27th, 2018 at 12:04:36 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Dalex64
Well that depends.
I was afraid of that. 1080i, 1080p, Beats the hell out of me, but all I really know is it is coax that Xfinity sent to me.
July 28th, 2018 at 2:41:50 PM permalink
Fleastiff
got a tv message that my set top box was not authorized.

I think i'm going to go buy hdmi cable segments and use the splitter so i'm only using one cable jack.

can't stand this at all.
July 28th, 2018 at 10:01:11 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
yes. That is a Comcast wall jack.

I don't know how many wall jacks you have in your house or apartment, but the signal may have been split three or four times before reaching the jack you are plugged into. We had to move my friend's modem from an upstairs bedroom to the jack closest to the front door, because there was only a single split between the point of entry and the jack near the front door.

Try one of these tests and read the levels on the gages. See if they are way off.The preference is to have your laptop or desktop plugged into the modem with an ethernet cable, but just say if that is not possible.

Forward Signal to Noise Ratio should ideally be 38-40 dB optiomal but 34 to 50 dB acceptable

Downstream Power level optimally is 0 dBmV , but -7 to +7 dBmV is ideal, and -12 to +12 dBmV is barely acceptable. This software called downstream "channel pwr"
Upstream Power level optimally is 43 dBmV , but +38 to +48 dBmV is ideal, and +34 to +52 dBmV is barely acceptable. This software called downstream "transmit pwr"

If your levels are way off you should probably move the whole operation to a jack near the point of entry of your cable. It could be the front or back of the home.

Once you have recorded the levels do a speed test.
Pick the state nearest to you
http://pa.speedtest.rcn.net/ Pennsylvania
http://ma.speedtest.rcn.net/ Massachussets
http://il.speedtest.rcn.net/ Chicago
July 29th, 2018 at 1:24:15 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Pacomartin
I don't know how many wall jacks you have in your apartment, but the signal may have been split three or four times before reaching the jack you are plugged into.
. Doesn't matter if its been split umpteen zillion times, its the same jack the previous tenant used.

>>>>>Try one of these tests and read the levels on the gages.
>>>>>Forward Signal to Noise Ratio should ideally be 38-40 dB optiomal but 34 to 50 dB acceptable
Thanks but way beyond me. If these are on screen tests I can't do them if all I get is static or 'unauthorized cable box' messages.
July 29th, 2018 at 5:43:10 AM permalink
Pacomartin
. Doesn't matter if its been split umpteen zillion times, its the same jack the previous tenant used.

Not always a good argument. Modems are growing more and more sensitive as average speeds get faster. Sometimes there is a problem at the utility pole or in the underground connections. No way to tell without readings.

Thanks but way beyond me. If these are on screen tests I can't do them if all I get is static or 'unauthorized cable box' messages.

Sometimes you can get readings with this website
July 29th, 2018 at 7:36:44 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Thank you.
I just bought some short segments of coaxial cable but I don't know if its 1081 or not Says RGB on it. Should let me use a splitter.

Got someone coming over to work on it for me.
July 29th, 2018 at 10:09:40 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Got it working once the splitter was hooked up AND a lightning storm kicked in. tech support was sending signals to the cable box all morning long but nothing was happening.
July 29th, 2018 at 11:47:24 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Thank you.
I just bought some short segments of coaxial cable but I don't know if its 1081 or not Says RGB on it. Should let me use a splitter.

Got someone coming over to work on it for me.

Coaxial usually is RG6.
3 ft. RG6 Patch Cable

If you only have a single wall jack there is nothing wrong with using coaxial to a splitter to feed your modem or gateway and to feed your cable box.

===========================

Maybe 15 years ago, it was very common to go from cable box to the television with coaxial, but today it is more normal to use HDMI cables. Some cable boxes do not even have the old connectors, but if they do then your television will not support high definition format (either 1080i or 720p).
HDTV sets became available in the U.S. in 1998 and broadcasts began around November 1998.

You can't choose between 1080i or 720p as that is a decision made by the cable or broadcast network.
List of current American high-definition channels by 1080i or 720p

As a general rule, the networks owned by Disney and Fox (which will now be combined into one company) use 720p because they felt that sports with fast moving balls seem to look better in 720p. Traditional American TV was 480i (or 480 rows interlaced meaning they broadcast only 240 new updated rows at a time and then interlaced the signals).

August 13th, 2018 at 4:58:18 PM permalink
Fleastiff
I had been impressed by two major articles that dealt with the concept of GABA or GABA and an antimalarial drug leading to the regeneration of Beta cells in pancreata.

Now I find out that the major earth-shaking articles have been declared to be "irreproducible" which is a term used to indicate a suspected but as yet unproven situation that would merit far stronger language.

At my age I don't have time for having been lead astray by such things.

I will admit that sometimes scientists can't even reproduce their own experiments and that mere irreproducibility does not constitute proof of scientific fraud but it does often mean that is what happened and may eventually be proven to have happened.

I guess its just very disappointing news.
August 13th, 2018 at 5:03:26 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Got the internet hooked up better once I used that splitter and some new cable segments.

Still can't get my new wireless printer to be visible to the laptop computer and its wifi network. Well, actually I did finally get the laptop to see the printer at long last but the printer won't work because everytime it says Register The Printheads by feeding a piece of paper in, all I get is some groaning and clunking from the printer.