Miapolis for $22 billion

Page 3 of 5<12345>
April 23rd, 2015 at 7:31:50 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Look at the way people live in Manhattan in 90 square feet. And they are middle upper class lifestyles.

I begin to understand how people would prefer a tablet or phablet to a PC. They have no room for even a small desk.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 23rd, 2015 at 11:28:59 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Look at the way people live in Manhattan in 90 square feet. And they are middle upper class lifestyles.

Exactly. Where's the downside of tube city compared to this? Seems like it'd be exactly the same, except you'd no longer have the stress of commuting to job/store/restaurant etc.

Quote: Paco
They are the height of luxury compared to some Hong Kong apartments

I watched a doc about Kowloon Walled City. That's what your pic reminded me of. I couldn't even begin to imagine. I think I maybe could make it there about a week, if I was really interested in seeing what it was like and was in the mood for it. Other times, just seeing it makes me very uncomfortable.

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 23rd, 2015 at 12:04:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

That's a 9X10 room? The pic is misleading,
it's the size of a walk in closet. What's so
great about NYC that you would live in a
pantry just to be there. The times I was
there I was the opposite of impressed.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 23rd, 2015 at 12:13:47 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
But does anyone besides me think that spending so much time inside in a place like this would be just unhealthy physically and mentally?

Brickell Key is about one mile away. As of 2000, the population of Brickell Key had 2,189 people The area covers 100 acres . The average household size had 1.7 people. So there are more than 1000 residences.

Watson Island (the proposed location of Miapolis is 180 acres and they are talking about 1000 condos.

So the proposal is not talking about an unprecedented number of homes.

The question is would people want to pay that kind of money to live in a building that houses a giant amusement park with thousands of visitors every day.

The other question is that Watson Island is 6 miles away from the longest runway in Miami Airport, and directly on the landing path of a 13000' runway.
Midway Airport in Chicago is 8 miles from the Willis (Sears) Tower, and also on the landing path, but the runway is only 6500'.

Most planes descend at roughly 275' per standard mile (300' per nautical mile). The highest building in Miami currently is 789'.

The tip of its highest antenna on the Willis tower is 1,730 feet. Using 275'/mile * 8 miles =2200' which is almost 500' over the antenna for planes landing at Midway. That seems like a reasonable margin.

For the FAA and FCC to agree to breaking their 50 year ban on towers over 2000' would be a big deal. They may consider downtown Chicago but only if the runway facing that direction is shut down. For Watson's Island in Miami, I would think they would be upset at anything over 1200'.

Miapolis in center with Brickell Key in the foreground. The cruise terminal is in the lower middle of the photo.
April 23rd, 2015 at 12:28:25 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
The micro apartments remind me to the tiny houses people build on trailers:

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

Though in those cases, it'd be more interesting to get a wooded 1/4 acre lot, plop down one of those and have rural cabin. If you were happy to spend a lot of outdoors time, set up your own BBQ kitchen, you'd have a pretty good life, I reckon.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
April 23rd, 2015 at 12:42:46 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Face
I watched a doc about Kowloon Walled City.

Kowloon may have inspired more post apocalyptic films and books than anything else on earth. It had official count of 5000 ppl/acre over it's 6.5 acres when it was demolished in 1994, but unofficial counts were often almost 8000 ppl/acre. In the late 19th century it was estimated that the slums in the Lower East Side had upwards of over 1000 ppl/acre.

The Pavillion apartment building in the upper east side.

The Pavilion 500 East 77th Street (built 1963) has 843 rental apartments and it's own zip code (10162). As a result it is the densest zip code in the USA at 232 ppl/acre. If the 7.2 acre zip code didn't include the empty park next door, it might be the over 400 people per acre. The Pavilion is a very expensive place to live.
April 23rd, 2015 at 1:08:07 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: TheCesspit
The micro apartments remind me to the tiny houses people build on trailers:

See, yes. I've seen some of these and I'm always boggled how much room they get out of no room at all. In many ways it reminds me of my BVI trip, or pop-up campers. It's not "roomy", but you don't feel stifled.

It all has to do with location, tho. In BVI, "inside" is for eating and sleeping. You "live" outside, and outside is the vast expanse of the tropics. It's gorgeous. When I go camping, same thing. The pop-up or the tent is for sleeping. Your living room, kitchen, toilet, all that is a clearing in the trees. It's infinite (basically =p). You don't need a living room for entertainment, you have 100 or 1,000 acres to fish and ATV and hike and shoot.

It's the stacking with other people that gets me. Or not even the people, but just the stuff. Cut that Manhattan box out of the city and throw it in the woods and I'd be happy as a clam. Put one of those awesome trailer huts in Central Park and I'd lose my mind.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 23rd, 2015 at 2:47:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Thousands of visitors a day would mean
crime city in Miami. It would be a magnet
for the criminal element, which is about
half of the city. I was there once and it
scared the crap out of me and that was
20 years ago.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 23rd, 2015 at 5:00:40 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

It's the stacking with other people that gets me. Or not even the people, but just the stuff. Cut that Manhattan box out of the city and throw it in the woods and I'd be happy as a clam. Put one of those awesome trailer huts in Central Park and I'd lose my mind.

Still seems like it would not be great longer term. Camping is one thing, but there is such a thing as too small. Plus I think you would soon be wanting space for projects. Not a mansion, but 800-1000 square with a nice shed/barn in back.
The President is a fink.
April 23rd, 2015 at 5:58:59 PM permalink
Pacomartin

It looks like this carriage house is your ideal property. About 1200 square feet of house and a four car garage that you can fill with all your stuff. How much stuff do you have? Could you fit it in a four car garage and still have room for table saws, and work stuff? Would you still have to leave some vehicles outside?

I had a friend who was 30 years old and a captain of an ocean going research vessel. He was gone for 10 months out of a year during which time his food was supplied for him, he had a captain's quarters on a boat, and he could only spend money when he was on shore leave (which was a day or two at a time). He made $10K per month. He banked almost everything he made, but he filled his parent's garage with every imaginable sail boat, motorcycles, scuba gear, ski gear, power boats, spelunking gear, etc. So for the two months he had off, he would come home to his parents, spend a few nights, grab whatever was appropriate to the season, and take off for scuba, skiing, etc.

He got married and his new wife said he had to grow up.
Page 3 of 5<12345>