Miapolis for $22 billion

Page 4 of 5<12345>
April 23rd, 2015 at 9:46:53 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZDuffman

Still seems like it would not be great longer term. Camping is one thing, but there is such a thing as too small. Plus I think you would soon be wanting space for projects. Not a mansion, but 800-1000 square with a nice shed/barn in back.

If I had a barn, I wouldn't need the house space lol. Of course, you are right without a doubt if I stayed here. Being stuck in the hut for 6 months a year would be garbage. But on the bayou? I dunno. Tell you what, I'm willing to try =)

Quote: Pacomartin

It looks like this carriage house is your ideal property. About 1200 square feet of house and a four car garage that you can fill with all your stuff. How much stuff do you have? Could you fit it in a four car garage and still have room for table saws, and work stuff? Would you still have to leave some vehicles outside?

Lol. My race car is but a CRX and my boat is just a 17 footer. If I hooked them both up to my truck in a sort of dual trailer config, I could easily fit all of my earthly possessions into such an arrangement. Fishing gear in the boat, guns in the car, bed in the back of the truck, TV/PC/clothes in the back seat, and away I go. Oh, and a return trip for tool chest/air compressor/welder. A four car garage is a bounty I can't even comprehend. Plus I've never been one to store the daily driver in the garage. My garage is for working, or storing something that isn't weather proof, like the boat and/or racer. My truck has windows and a roof. It can stay outside.

Dunno about the 2nd floor arrangement, though. There are times I can barely make it up the two steps into my first floor lol.

But yes, something like that would suit me. I pine for that sort of workspace every day.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 24th, 2015 at 2:36:38 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

It looks like this carriage house is your ideal property. About 1200 square feet of house and a four car garage that you can fill with all your stuff. How much stuff do you have? Could you fit it in a four car garage and still have room for table saws, and work stuff? Would you still have to leave some vehicles outside?

I don't know about him but I like it! I would probably want the dormers knocked out a little different, but nice. Park the regular car and convertible in half the garages and the other half for a small workshop. Big garden in back and room for extra garages to generate rental revenue.
The President is a fink.
April 24th, 2015 at 2:58:38 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
I don't know about him but I like it! I would probably want the dormers knocked out a little different, but nice. Park the regular car and convertible in half the garages and the other half for a small workshop. Big garden in back and room for extra garages to generate rental revenue.

The man who built my parent's home in 1928 (when Model A was the big thing) built a 22' by 36' three bay garage with an apartment on top.
April 24th, 2015 at 3:27:08 AM permalink
AZDuffman

The man who built my parent's home in 1928 (when Model A was the big thing) built a 22' by 36' three bay garage with an apartment on top.

That is what I am talking about. Between garage and apartment you are talking $1K or more in rent in these parts.
The President is a fink.
April 24th, 2015 at 12:35:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
If I had a barn, I wouldn't need the house space lol.

Best thing I ever did was put up a
1000 sq ft barn 20 years ago. Been
using it ever since. It widens your
horizons like you wouldn't believe.
So much work space, and so much
storage space, especially with a
loft.

A guy I know bought 100 acres 25 years
ago and couldn't afford a house on it,
so he built a pole barn and has lived in
it ever since. He even hand dug a basement
under it. It's very nice inside, he lives there
like a hermit.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 24th, 2015 at 7:08:35 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
o he built a pole barn and has lived in it ever since.

Like this?
April 24th, 2015 at 7:34:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Pretty much. You just build the structure
for a house inside, minus a roof. Saves
a ton of money and because it's totally
inclosed, you can live in it from the very
first day you start building. His barn is
big 40X60, 2400 sq ft. Women hate
them, for a guy it's like having your
house inside your shop. A dream come
true. I just found out another guy up
the road built one you can't see from the
road and lives there. Property rich, and
no money to build a real house.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 25th, 2015 at 4:59:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman
I could half see living in one like that just a few changes for my needs and tastes. I actually looked at steel buildings for building a house. Where you get killed is the plumbing and electrical. The plumbing is not as easy as you think because your drains all had better work perfect before you lay the slab.

Wait for a recession to build as then steel buildings go on huge sale.
The President is a fink.
April 26th, 2015 at 9:21:11 AM permalink
Pacomartin

1895 vision of a vertical city. In 1895 the height of 100 meters was finally reached in the Manhattan Life Insurance building. The building was demolished in the early 1960's.

Xseed is a proposal to build a pyramid in Tokyo Bay that would house 1 million in 24 eighty story buildings.
April 26th, 2015 at 11:47:57 AM permalink
Evenbob
Just show a pic of Sing Sing, a modern prison
has all it needs within it's walls also. No
different than Miapolis.
Page 4 of 5<12345>