Gigafactory

July 17th, 2015 at 4:04:07 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
'Tesla has already received a half-billion dollar loan from the Department of Energy, and its Gigafactory enjoys generous tax incentives from the state of Nevada (notably, Tesla has done a vastly better job of paying back its government debt obligations than Chinese solar firms have)...Tesla will churn out more batteries in 2020 than were made in the entire world in 2013.'

Now they're saying Tesla will have a monopoly
and stall the innovation of other type batteries.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 17th, 2015 at 4:41:38 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Evenbob

I doubt that. They're up against GM, Nissan, and BMW all placing big bets on electric vehicles. I can't imagine Tesla deliberately stalling battery innovation while Nissan, GM, and BMW are all racing for a better battery-- those 3 companies have deep pockets and seem serious about EVs.
July 17th, 2015 at 4:42:41 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Usually the case on new tech. Standards emerge.

I hope it works as planned, I just do not think it will.
The President is a fink.
July 17th, 2015 at 5:09:36 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: reno

According to Musk, the Model S gets roughly 20 engineering changes each week--most of them very minor--to reduce weight, improve durability, and ease manufacturing. Which brings us to today's big news: in a nod to Mel Brooks fans, Tesla has upped the ante, and the slowpoke 691 horsepower Insane Mode (0-60 in 3.1 seconds) has now been replaced with 762 horsepower Ludicrous Mode (0-60 in 2.8 seconds). Their top of the line model will have a bigger battery: 90 kwh instead of 85 kwh. The company also upgraded the main battery contacts from steel to a more advanced metal, resulting in a maximum power delivery from 1300 amps to 1500 amps. The cell chemistry for the new battery includes a new anode that adds silicon to the graphite, permitting the increase in performance.

You're not going to win this, dear reno. Post all the numbers you like, but they'll never equate to this...

Hear that? That's the sound of a thousand panties simultaneously hitting the ground. That girl in the background? She stood too close. She's pregnant now.

Kwh, amps, insta-torque...

It's nice. But it's not "it".

;)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 17th, 2015 at 5:26:18 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Face
Hear that? That's the sound of a thousand panties simultaneously hitting the ground. That girl in the background? She stood too close. She's pregnant now.

;)

Hey, I got two different videos of motorcycle gearheads, with admitted built-in biases against electric both riding an electric motorcycle caught giggling more than once about the surge of power. (The power of silence I guess)

; )
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 17th, 2015 at 6:24:04 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Now they're saying Tesla will have a monopoly and stall the innovation of other type batteries.

Is this factory going to make other size batteries? Computer backup 1 kWh batteries, 24 kWh that can be sold to other BEV manufacturers (like LEAF) that don't compete with Tesla models.
July 17th, 2015 at 10:34:19 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
after that oil immersed super cluster will data centers really be power hungry anymore: not for air conditioning at least.
July 18th, 2015 at 6:00:24 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Does anyone on this forum have a battery over 1 kWh? That would include Prius hybrid batteries, computer room backup as well as more obvious batteries like lead acid walls or all electric vehicles, or solar systems.

What did you pay? Who was the manufacturer? Are you happy?
July 19th, 2015 at 9:36:17 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Face

I have never known any girl/woman that got excited about a big engine or going fast. The ones I know all like "pretty" cars and luxurious brand name expensive cars.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 19th, 2015 at 11:11:27 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
I have never known any girl/woman that got excited about a big engine or going fast. The ones I know all like "pretty" cars and luxurious brand name expensive cars.

You need to check out nascar closer. Women go wild for the noise.
The President is a fink.