Gigafactory

April 6th, 2016 at 10:34:49 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: AZDuffman
It would probably not be the first time if they did hire actors and actresses.

I read on Drudge/Breitbart that the Nevada gigafactory "construction workers" are actors, too.

It would not be the first time a huge company built facilities with a unviable idea.

Let's look at some real world numbers. In 2015, Tesla sold 50,000 vehicles at an average price of $80,000. That is the same number of the Mercedes E-Class autos, which are priced much lower in the $50,000 range. And if you compare to the top line Mercedes S-Class, (which is only slightly more expensive at an average $90,0000), the Model S sold over 2 times the 22,000 units Mercedes sold. And while other manufacturers are happy with single digit percentage volume growth, in Q4 Tesla shipments were 75% greater in 2015 than 2014.

The term "unviable idea" probably isn't the best description of a luxury automaker outselling Mercedes-Benz S-Class by a ratio of 2 to 1.

One thing for sure is Tesla in no way can justify their current market cap, stockholders should beware.

I agree 100%. Current TSLA market cap is an $36 billion. (Ford is $51 billion.) Tesla's cars are completely viable. But (right now) their stock is a total rip-off.

April 6th, 2016 at 12:40:03 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
The P/E ratio on TSLA is sky high for the next four quarters estimates, obviously as they haven't shown a profit yet, there's no historical measure. The price/sales ratio is 9. Which means they do 1/9th in total sales per year of the market cap. That's bananas compared to Ford's 0.34.

So the stock seems well over priced as I can't see where the sales growth can come from to get to more 'normal' ratios. This isn't an early stage company with massive headroom for growth.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
April 6th, 2016 at 12:45:20 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Isn't an unrealistic stock price common for hyped-up, trendy start-ups with celebrity CEOs?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 6th, 2016 at 1:29:28 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Nareed
Isn't an unrealistic stock price common for hyped-up, trendy start-ups with celebrity CEOs?

Sure. Facebook has a similar high ratios. I just wouldn't call Tesla a start up, nor would I call Facebook one anymore.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
April 6th, 2016 at 1:41:00 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: TheCesspit
Sure. Facebook has a similar high ratios. I just wouldn't call Tesla a start up, nor would I call Facebook one anymore.

I call it a start-up until it makes money outside the stock market.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 6th, 2016 at 4:43:14 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: reno
I read on Drudge/Breitbart that the Nevada gigafactory "construction workers" are actors, too.

I missed that one, you have the link?

Quote:
The term "unviable idea" probably isn't the best description of a luxury automaker outselling Mercedes-Benz S-Class by a ratio of 2 to 1.

What is the profit of each company?
The President is a fink.
April 23rd, 2016 at 5:44:40 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Some battery research news

Quote:
In an attempt to make nanowires less fragile, the lead scientist behind the study, UCI doctoral candidate Mya Le Thai, coated a gold nanowire in a shell and surrounded it with a thin layer of a Plexiglas-like gel, according to the press release.

The researchers cycled charges through the new composite and were dazzled by the results.

“We found out we can pass energy through these nanowires hundreds of thousands of times,” Ms. Le Thai said in a video explaining the experiment.

“That was crazy,” Dr. Penner said in the press release, “because these things typically die in dramatic fashion after 5,000 or 6,000 or 7,000 cycles at most.”

Why does it work? The details remain a little unclear, but the gel helps prevent the nanowire from corroding as it receives a charge, say the researchers.

“The coated electrode holds its shape much better, making it a more reliable option,” Thai said.

For now, lithium-ion batteries that decay after hundreds of recharge cycles will remain the only commercially viable option. The UCI research team was testing nanowire, not producing a nanowire battery ready to be shipped to consumers. But the team remains optimistic about their discovery's prospects.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Technology/2016/0423/Scientists-accidentally-discover-the-secret-to-long-lived-batteries
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 2nd, 2016 at 10:30:26 AM permalink
reno
Quote: Face
The Leaf, Volt, et al are bland, soulless, sterile, godawful piles of mediocrity....

Needs a playing card in the spokes, though. One thing electric will never score higher marks in is presence. Even the McLaren P1 seems hollow and empty when it's just on the juice. Not until you get 900hp surging through the noise pipes is the vision complete =)

When I watched this 2 minute video about converting a 1978 Ferrari 308GTS (the car was in bad shape from a fuel leak fire) into an all-electric monster, I immediately thought of Face. It's got 330 ft lbs of torque, and yes it can do 84 mph in second gear...
July 12th, 2016 at 2:35:37 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Elon Musk’s pedestal is crumbling, exposing Tesla risks

Time will tell if this is a bump they recover from or the whole house of cards gets knocked over. I find it interesting that the company was doing a stock offering. Sure, sell when the market is hot, but should they really need to dilute the stock already?

Musk at the least needs to learn how to handle a PR problem a lot better.
The President is a fink.
September 8th, 2016 at 7:50:20 AM permalink
reno
The "green" market has probably been filled and every person who thinks EVs are some sort of better environmental choice owns one. Though they will need to replace them, the EV must now sell on pure utility if they want the market to expand.

I will maintain my point that the EV market is now mature and more growth will be a slow slog.

Mercedes's push into electric cars is bigger than previously reported.

Quote: Motley Fool
Citing unnamed industry sources, German automotive trade publication Automobilwoche reported on Saturday that "more than six" new battery-electric Mercedes-Benz models are planned, including SUVs and crossovers, sedans, and compact cars.

There may be additional long-range compact electric cars under development for Daimler's Smart brand, the report said. The new battery-operated Mercedes-Benz are expected to come to market starting in 2018.

Audi plans to launch a dedicated electric model in 2018. Volvo plans a Model S rival, which will arrive in 2019 and share its underpinnings with the S90, V90 and XC90. Jaguar Land Rover is expected to debut a battery-powered concept in November at the Los Angeles Auto Show. And Porsche is spending US$1.12 billion to build an electric car.