Gigafactory

April 4th, 2016 at 4:06:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
Have a lunch and charge the car at the same time.

Uh, no. When I have to fuel up usually I have places to go. Those places are usually time-sensitive. When I was doing the luggage delivery or other times I did courier work the last thing I had time for was taking half an hour to refuel. Gasoline takes less than 10 minutes, often less than 5. That is what a recharge needs to be at.

I do not see the swap-thing working in practicality. I have seen Musk's video of the fast-swap played against someone who cannot use a gas pump. I also am skeptical of how an idealized procedure works in the real world. I see half a dozen or more reasons swaps will not work.
The President is a fink.
April 4th, 2016 at 9:47:09 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: AZDuffman
The "green" market has probably been filled and every person who thinks EVs are some sort of better environmental choice owns one. Though they will need to replace them, the EV must now sell on pure utility if they want the market to expand.

I will maintain my point that the EV market is now mature and more growth will be a slow slog.

You're assuming there's no demand for a $35,000 electric vehicle with 215 miles of range. And yet after just 72 hours there are now 276,000 pre-orders for the Model 3. As the Wall Street Journal put it, that number is "staggering." (To put that in perspective, Honda sells 350,000 Accords in a year.)

The problem isn't demand, the problem is supply. Tesla was 3 years behind schedule with their Model S. I'm a Tesla apologist, and even I'm doubtful that they'll be able to make deliveries of the Model 3 by the end of 2017 as promised.

I still see Musk as a snake-oil salesman...

You set the bar awfully high. His company has already built 110,000 extremely high tech cars, what the hell does this guy have to do to earn your respect? His other company has already flown 6 rockets to the International Space Station. Read up on Falcon 9 (an orbital trajectory rocket which in December successfully landed vertically on the launch pad), and then tell me how he's just another snake oil salesman.
April 4th, 2016 at 11:07:29 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: reno
You're assuming there's no demand for a $35,000 electric vehicle with 215 miles of range.

That sounds really good. But:

1) How much does it cost?

2) How long does it take to charge?

3) How much does a full charge take? (I'm not asking how much a full charge costs, as electricity prices vary wildly)

4) What are the maintenance costs like?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 4th, 2016 at 11:46:23 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Nareed
What are the maintenance costs like?

Based on my experience with electric motors, they should be really low compared to combustion engines, or you're really doing something wrong.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 4th, 2016 at 12:10:10 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
Based on my experience with electric motors, they should be really low compared to combustion engines, or you're really doing something wrong.

The electric motors you are familar with probably don't have batteries. The battery is the single bigest maintenance expense. Look how ubiquotous the battery tools are now. Still usually cheaper to throw away the tool and buy a new kit that buy a replacement battery.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 4th, 2016 at 12:40:21 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine

I know little about that. But besides the motor(s), there are other things like suspension, shock absorbers, brakes and so on.

And the batteries in particular. With a regular car you can neglect the battery if you want. Worst case, you buy a new one, In an electric car the batteries are many and quit expensive. You can't neglect them.
April 4th, 2016 at 1:07:27 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Nareed
I know little about that.

An electric motor has but one moving part. In this area, EVs are the supreme victor. Short of driving into the cauldron of an active volcano, you'll never ruin an electric motor.

The rest of the car is likely at a premium, simply because of what (I assume) it is. Econo-boxes are pretty much mix and match, and there are millions of models. If you need an UCA for a 98' Accord, you can get exactly that. Or, you could get any UCA from any Accord model year 98' - 01'. Or, you could get a UCA from any Civic, Prelude, Integra, RSX, etc. The market is completely saturated, so you get your part for $40. Even "premium" brands have been overtaken by the big guys, so some of their parts are the same. Your $2.7mm Bugatti is as premium as they come, but if something breaks, there's a chance you can just get the part from your local VW store. Same with Lamborghini going to Audi, same with a bunch of the upper crust cartomobiles.

I know absolutely nothing about Tesla, but I don't recall hearing about any partnership. If something breaks, you're not getting it from your local Ford store. That raises the price, certainly. But I wouldn't say it'd be outrageous. I'd expect it to be similar to any other "exclusive" car. Brake job for my Chevy costs $100. Same thing for a 5 Series might run $400. I expect Tesla repairs to be in BMW territory.

But none of that matters. It's all about the battery. And batteries are garbage.

Big thanks to those taking the plunge. They're footing the bill for progress towards a better battery, and I will certainly profit from that.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 4th, 2016 at 1:33:01 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
An electric motor has but one moving part.

This I did know. And very likely an electric car will have 4 motors and no transmission.

But there are temperature fluctuations and running current in the other components, as well as parts and circuits to control them (where temps fluctuate and current runs). All this causes wear, too, albeit at a lower rate than in more mechanically complex machines.
April 4th, 2016 at 1:53:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Tesla S warranty for the battery is 8 years, or 125,000 miles.

Quote:
Battery Limited Warranty
The Model S lithium-ion battery (the “Battery”) is an extremely sophisticated powertrain
component designed to withstand extreme driving conditions. You can rest easy knowing that
Tesla’s state-of-the-art Battery is backed by this Battery Limited Warranty, which covers the repair
or replacement of any malfunctioning or defective Battery, subject to the limitations described
below. If your Battery requires warranty service, Tesla will repair the unit, or replace it with a factory
reconditioned unit that has an energy capacity at least equal to that of the original Battery before
the failure occurred. Your vehicle’s Battery is covered under this Battery Limited Warranty for a
period of 8 years or for the number of miles/km specified below for your Battery configuration,
whichever comes first:
• 60 kWh - 125,000 miles (200,000 km)
• 85 kWh - unlimited miles/km
Despite the breadth of this warranty, damage resulting from intentional abuse (including
intentionally ignoring active vehicle warnings), a collision or accident, or the servicing or opening of
the Battery by non-Tesla personnel, is not covered under this Battery Limited Warranty.
In addition, damage resulting from the following activities are not covered under this Battery
Limited Warranty:
• Exposing the vehicle to ambient temperatures above 140°F (60°C) or below -22°F (-30°C) for
more than 24 hours at a time;
• Physically damaging the Battery, or intentionally attempting, either by physical means,
programming, or other methods, to extend (other than as specified in your owner
documentation) or reduce the life of the Battery;
• Exposing the Battery to direct flame; or,
• Flooding of the Battery.
The Battery, like all lithium-ion batteries, will experience gradual energy or power loss with time and
use. Loss of Battery energy or power over time or due to or resulting from Battery usage, is NOT
covered under this Battery Limited Warranty. See your owner documentation for important
information on how to maximize the life and capacity of the Battery.

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/model_s_new_vehicle_limited_warranty_2.1.pdf
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 4th, 2016 at 2:11:32 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
In February 2014, 387 gallons of heating oil cost $1,471 @ $3.799 per gallon
In February 2016, 414 gallons of heating oil cost $571 @ $1.378 per gallon

This photo was taken about 80 miles from me as part of an article about how local coal heating was making a comeback

A Tesla battery is 1200 pounds and has capacity of 85 kWh. One gallon of gasoline is equal to 33.7 kWh. I am very skeptical, but I don't know if we have any control over the possibility that gasoline will go to $10 gallon within the next decade.

I am very grateful that people are purchasing these EV. If there is a possibility that we will switch to nuclear power and run everything on electricity, I am glad they are funding the development.