Gigafactory

August 9th, 2017 at 3:06:12 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined
???????????
When have I said EV's are great for the environment??????????????

????????????

Are you trying to put words in my mouth then argue with those words I have not said?
weird

Did I say you did?

Please learn how to read a bit more critically to understand a generalized vs personalized statement.
The President is a fink.
August 9th, 2017 at 3:58:37 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
It makes one wonder, if you concern yourself with stuff like this, what other stuff comes by nefarious means.

I'm still not on board, either. I could be wrong (I'm not a learned fellow) but I'm still convinced the guy in Utah that's still driving his '64 Belvedere is the pinnacle of green living, precisely because of the unseen price of manufacturing. Just that alone, the resources used to create a new model, has got to skew things quite out of favor with the new stuff. ANY new stuff. I'd welcome anyone to point out that I'm wrong. I like to learn.

It just sucks because this thing is so GD politicized you can't ever get a real grasp on it, and there's no unbiased, disinterested party keeping the facts straight. The closest I've ever seen was our very own Paco, trying to show energy released from petrol vs coal, and what work we can get out of it regarding cars. Not that I remember exactly what he said, but I do remember it was nothing that got me leaning toward this EV nonsense.

Get your motor runnin' and head out on the highway. We seriously need to lose Florida anyway =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 9th, 2017 at 7:32:13 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Well, green tech has to compete with years of combustion engine refinements. So, yeah, it's hardly going to be a slam dunk.

But how do you get years of refinement if people aren't working on it?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 9th, 2017 at 9:55:44 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined
To quote Peter Frampton, "Do you feel like I do?"
Great song
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 10th, 2017 at 6:17:56 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
In many countries if a child does not work it does not eat. If it does eat it will only grow up to be a soldier in some never ending tribal conflict. When immigrants come to this nation we want them to adopt American values, the least we can do it let them have their own values in their country.
August 10th, 2017 at 6:35:05 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
But how do you get years of refinement if people aren't working on it?

It's like the Russia investigation: if you don't have the evidence to convict right off the bat, there's obviously no reason to investigate.

So if your electric vehicle is not as good as the gas vehicle right now, then there's no reason to keep developing it.

But, you know, I recall when the best that could be done with electric cars was a small subcompact that might top out at 25 mph and have a range of 100 kilometers. And all for several times what a nice, family sedan that could go at 80 mph (or more) and had a range of 300 kilometers.

Clearly we've made no progress at all.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 10th, 2017 at 9:08:39 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Florida retirement communities and golf courses: no gasoline or diesel vehicles, electric carts only for golf, shopping, doctor's appointments, gym, meetings, game room, etc.
August 10th, 2017 at 2:02:49 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Face
I'm still not on board, either. I could be wrong (I'm not a learned fellow) but I'm still convinced the guy in Utah that's still driving his '64 Belvedere is the pinnacle of green living, precisely because of the unseen price of manufacturing.

It's like when you go to an island with ten miles of roads, and you think this would be a perfect place for economy vehicles, hybrids or EVs. Instead everyone has twenty year old giant gas hogs. The cost of maintenance in salt air and importing a new vehicles makes econo-boxes impractical.

I think you are saying the world economy is closer to the island economy, but people can't see it because of all the hype.
Quote: Total Perspective Vortex from Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Total Perspective Vortex is allegedly the most horrible torture device to which a sentient being can be subjected.

When you are put into the Vortex you are given just one momentary glimpse of the entire unimaginable infinity of creation, and somewhere in it there's a tiny little speck, a microscopic dot on a microscopic dot, which says, "You are here."

Located on Frogstar World B, the machine was originally invented by Trin Tragula in order to annoy his wife. Because she was forever nagging him for having no sense of proportion, he decided to invent something that would show her what having a sense of proportion really meant.

Unfortunately the shock of being placed in the Vortex destroyed her brain, but Trin Tragula's grief was tempered by the knowledge that he had been right and she had been wrong.

In Adams' words, the Total Perspective Vortex illustrated that "In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion."

People just need to feel important, like they are meeting carbon footprints. Nobody can stand the idea that doing nothing might be better than doing something.
August 10th, 2017 at 2:52:29 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
People just need to feel important, like they are meeting carbon footprints. Nobody can stand the idea that doing nothing might be better than doing something.

That's true. But it's also true that technologies need time to develop, and those doing the development have to make money in the meantime. This takes time, and it means many new inventions at first will be expensive and affordable only to the rich.

Look up the gap between Edison's invention of practical electric incandescent light to the electrification of the whole of America. It took decades. Cell phones were first available in the early 80, but it wasn't til the 90s they were really affordable for most people. Mobile phones were available even earlier, but so hideously expensive and impractical, that few people who could afford them even wanted them.

Then there are economic factors large and small. I wouldn't buy an electric car for the simple reason that my employer pays for my gas, but not for my electricity. So getting one would cost me a lot more money regardless of the price of oil. People in apartment buildings won't be interested in rooftop solar panels or tiles.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 11th, 2017 at 7:43:33 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Pacomartin

One of the most insightful things I have read for a while Paco. Truth in that idea for much of changes in world today. It comes from so many people in the world today believing the beauty queen contestants speech cliché "I just want to make a difference in the world".
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin