Pro forma party orimaries

Page 3 of 4<1234>
June 2nd, 2015 at 2:21:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I'll paint the barn the day of the debates,
anything to get out of watching them.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 4th, 2015 at 6:51:38 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
They really ought to start with two debates, and simply divide them on previous experiences.

They really ought to forego primary debates entirely. More often than not, they turn into circular firing squads (picture it). This is true for both parties. But the GOP takes to heart the notion that civil wars ought to be bloodier and more cruel.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 4th, 2015 at 7:57:20 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Nareed
They really ought to forego primary debates entirely. More often than not, they turn into circular firing squads (picture it). This is true for both parties. But the GOP takes to heart the notion that civil wars ought to be bloodier and more cruel.

More debates.
I love them.
Get out the popcorn
Once a candidate gets in the lead via polls, watch the knives come out.
Love it.
The Reagan mantra of speak no ill of a fellow republican is dead.
With 10 or more running on the republican side, cant get noticed unless you attack.

Huge pressure with no advice from handlers.
They are on their own.
This is a perfect way to see how these candidates react in a pressure cooker debate.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 4th, 2015 at 8:19:55 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: terapined
The Reagan mantra of speak no ill of a fellow republican is dead.

He took on as VP for two terms the man who had attacked his policies as "Voodoo economics."

This says something about the man, but I'm not sure what.
June 4th, 2015 at 8:24:07 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
http://articles.latimes.com/1999/oct/13/news/mn-21771

I found an article that say Al Gore and Bill Bradley had a debate in California on 1 March 2000. Bill Bradley withdrew from the race on 9 March 2000 after getting creamed in a 15 state primary election on 7 March. I think it would be unprecedented for Hillary to refuse to debate Martin O'Malley.

Quote: Nareed
They really ought to forego primary debates entirely. More often than not, they turn into circular firing squads (picture it).

People are pretty used to them by now.
June 4th, 2015 at 9:19:50 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I think it would be unprecedented for Hillary to refuse to debate Martin O'Malley.

It would be, but I would not be surprised if she did. Hillary does not like being challenged on anything and I honestly think she feels even having to do the primary is beneath her. This is how Obama came from behind against her last time.
The President is a fink.
June 4th, 2015 at 10:24:06 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

I think it would be unprecedented for Hillary to refuse to debate Martin O'Malley.

I really doubt Hillary will debate Martin O'Malley.
It can only help O'malley.
O'Malley is a total unknown unless you come from Maryland like me.
I know Omalley well because I lived just outside Baltimore while he was mayor and caught his rock band, Omalley's March.
O'malley is actually running for 2020 or 2024.
Many unknowns get in the race so that the next cycle, they are known rather then unknown.
Take Rommney, 2008, he ran but was pretty much unknown by most of the country.
By 2012, Rommney is known due to running in 2008 , and wins the 2012 nomination.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 4th, 2015 at 12:02:47 PM permalink
Nareed
To paraphrase Robert Heinlein: There may be no candidate you want to vote for. But surely there's a candidate who drives your enemies mad.
June 4th, 2015 at 9:21:46 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
It can only help O'malley.

Yes, but it might hurt her to be seen as too aloof to be even bothered with her competition. I think that what Gore did was agree to a limited dual appearance with Bradley on Meet the Press, just so that people knew he was willing to do something. He didn't do a full blown debate until a week before Super Tuesday after which Bradley resigned.

O'malley is actually running for 2020 or 2024.

At some point in the 2008 contest Hillary was running for 2016. She thought that she would get some respect for pushing to the end.
I think that everyone realizes O'Malley is positioning himself for the future. He is relatively young.

Not that he wouldn't love it her health fails.
August 4th, 2015 at 11:33:32 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
It doesn't look like Hillary would even consent to debate Bernie Sanders or Martin O'Malley . Other than incumbent president or vice president, Is this a historic run?

Saw the head of the Democratic party Wassermun-Schultz in a interview this weekend that debates are already planned. Is Clinton saying she won't participate?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 3 of 4<1234>