MENTAL ILLNESS

Page 2 of 5<12345>

Thread Rating:

July 31st, 2015 at 6:04:11 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Wizard

I think a lot of WoV members suffer from depression to one degree or another. As the good book says, "With much wisdom comes much sorrow." Not to say I have much wisdom but a major reason I'm always so damn busy with with physical challenges is to stay ahead of the abyss, which is always chasing me.

I tend to think of mine as a cat of shadows. Can't see it, but it's there. Mostly you can relax, but go too far and it pounces.

It helps me cope. Positive thoughts, positive actions, those surround me in light. Shadows can't exist in the light. It's worked for me far better than thinking it was some random thing that would just happen, or that it was something of which I always had to keep ahead.

Quote: Nareed
The stigma still attached to mental illness is one of the cruelest inventions ever devised by humanity.

People fear that which they do not understand. Like math, and most women.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 31st, 2015 at 6:48:42 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I think the african expression for someone who accomplishes a great deal is "my shadow ran fast" ... meaning he felt he had to run fast also or it would gain on him.

depression is often a question of imbalance in cellular functions. In the fifties it was the biogenic amine hypothesis involving neural transmitters. Make enough transmitter for it to jump the synaptic cleft to the next cell, reuptake enough for future use, destroy enough to make sure the signal does not 'linger' but is instead a sharp pulse.

Much of that is based on dietary proteins that cross the blood brain barrier in competition with other molecules. so it became a realization that poor diet and bad luck in cross the blood brain barrier took time and so depression would rarely be anything but a slowly developing but ever possible process.

add in escaped circadian rhythms such as light, hormone set points, etc. and depression becomes even more likely.
August 3rd, 2015 at 9:13:13 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
No idea what this treatment cost. But I pay over 10 g for premiums to have no deductibles and 100% coverage on medical. Soon as I get a statement, will post price per treatment
August 4th, 2015 at 12:21:51 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: buzzardknot
No idea what this treatment cost. But I pay over 10 g for premiums to have no deductibles and 100% coverage on medical. Soon as I get a statement, will post price per treatment

Its not the price of the treatment ... very little of medical billing makes sense and allocation of resources is a national disgrace.

I used to have a cardiologist who was a jerk but had a fancy office, fancy, obviously new equipment, well educated and efficient staff.

Now I'm with a cardiologist who is in a much poorer part of town, has obviously needier patients, obviously used and shabby equipment, a dictation system that drives him crazy and inefficient staff... but he knows more, shares the knowledge, asks me questions about recent discoveries he has not been able to keep up with.

still ... its not just coverage, though that can certainly be important. Insurance is a scheme to trap patients so the patient flow can be sold to doctors. with the certification courses and costs, its hard for doctors to compete for patients.
September 17th, 2015 at 9:34:49 AM permalink
buzzardknot
$350 a session. Medicare paid 154, supp paid 48. My and Josie SS is at 32k tax free. Sound good until factor in 12K for medical and prescription coverage, 4 k to get out of donut hole, thats before I pay rent utilities etc. Was getting food at Vet food bank. I mean gross too high to qualify for anything, but I was in USAF during Vietnam era. Of course after 2 visits , they closed LOL
Can laugh now, can I ever. Josie had 30 treatment and improved so much, she kept asking me if she was in a manic state. Ablsolutely miraculous.
Now I have another battle. My daughter is coupon queen. Get several hundred dollars of body wash, tooth past
e etc, and Walgreens pays her to take it home. I run some to local VA hospital Next time gonna try and see upper management. WHY ?

Because it took 10 years to get insurance companies to pay for this treatment. VA will not approve. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Gonna have to google Congressman and Senators too and at least try. Looks like VETS are getting screwed once more.
December 15th, 2015 at 2:53:45 AM permalink
buzzardknot
Update. Josie still doing great mentally. Still on duloxetine, which is generic Cymbalta, but not brintellix, very expensive drug. Magnets still miraculous. No depression short and long term memory TV great. Good thing too
Josie has had buch luck lately with physivcal. Fell down steps, then fell in holewalking dog at night. 1st mri nogood, 2nd with anasthesia, waiting tosee surgeon, bone spurs. Took pnuenamonia sjhot,MN 1 in 20,000 have bad reaction. Josie was a 1, in hospital 3 days.

but no depression. Magnets just terrific.
October 17th, 2016 at 5:13:56 PM permalink
buzzardknot
The NIGHTMARE continues. Josie still doing great as of 6 weeks ago. Then the wheels started to fall over. Slowly. Got her back to magnet doc. Two weeks ago he doubled depakote from prior levels of 250 in am and 500 at night. BANG Depression lifted in just a few days. GREAT. Except memory, which had been terrific started to quickly dissipate. Josie would ask something, I would answer. 2 sentences later she would ask again. 2 more sentences and she would contradict what I had previously said. Like a WHOS ON FIRST routine, but not funny at all
October 17th, 2016 at 7:46:18 PM permalink
buzzardknot
About 6 weeks ago is when I started looking for a job. 32K sounds OK for a family of 2. But 10K in medical plans and 4-5K in prescriptions. Plus I had been scoring 5-10k a year reselling books, cd's & dvds. Need I say more. Applied custodian job in VA Hospital. Owned a Coverall franchise years ago, spent 3 + years in USAF Hospital, worked 2 years here at Reynolds Polymer, contract custodian. Plus 5 points for being Vietnam Vet. Job only advertised on Vet web sites, only vets may apply. Disabled vet can get 30 pts, no way a disabled vet can fill job duuties. Dont even get interviewed ??? Applied at Startek, over qualified for job. DENIED Have a feeling it was fat tub of lard named Richard that called the final shot. Sure would like to step in parking lot with that Fat F+++ and like see who can walk back in to get his job.
Anyway Jopsie took part time jom as CNA. Screw that. I applied at Walmart online Sunday afternoon.
October 17th, 2016 at 7:48:56 PM permalink
buzzardknot
No, will rob a bank before being a greeter. Part of Walmart application is a supervisory skills test. Scored thru the roof. Just put my old Chief Shop Sterward hat on, reversed my thinking. haha Anway get a call at 9:15 Sunday night ?, Can I interview at 9am Monday morning ?
Hey, things getting better RIGHT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> WRONG !!!!
October 17th, 2016 at 7:55:06 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Goto Walmart in am, Josie has CNA 3 hour home visit at 10:30 . I head back to LayAway Dept where interview area is. Push button, manager shows up, asks my name and when is Appt. Goes in back, but comes out 30 seconds later, asks me to wait there, he has to see about an accident with possible injury. I said , and I quote " That's never a good thing." A few minutes later girl runs in rook and asks " Are you Buzz? " Seems paging system was broke ( of course ) Josie fell, hurt wrist and banged head on floor. Run up front, Josie is disoriented. Greeter saw her wobbly pushing basket, before she could get to her Josie fell. Assistant store manager greeter, sever other employess keep her sitting until EMT shows up.
Page 2 of 5<12345>