Pope Francis Visit

September 24th, 2015 at 6:23:05 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
You guys are hilarious. Thanks, I needed that =)

Though I imagine a bullet ridden plate from The Philly Heist would fetch more than a plain ol' plate.

Tell ya what... one of you volunteer to join me, sit in the back, and give a Popely wave to the police chopper and I'm in XD
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 24th, 2015 at 8:19:48 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Face
You guys are hilarious. Thanks, I needed that =)

I only know one popemobile joke.

We all know Pope Francis likes to drive himself. After particularly grueling international visit, Francis is anxious to catch his plane back home, but his driver is nervous about having an accident with the Pope so he is studiously driving 5 mph under the speed limit. Francis gets tired of this slo-poke and orders the driver into the backseat. The driver is upset, but what is he going to do? It is the pope after all.

Francis is a making excellent time deftly weaving from lane to lane until suddenly a young cop pulls him over. The cop strolls up to the window, takes one look inside, gasps and calls his grizzled sergeant. Sarge! Sarge! You won't believe who I pulled over! The sergeant assumes it's the mayor on one of his benders again, and suggests that it is the mayor. "No Sarge, even bigger", replies the young cop. "Well, who is it?", Sarge replies.

"Actually, I am not sure who it is, but he has the Pope as his driver!"
September 25th, 2015 at 12:00:30 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I wish I was still on speaking terms with Nareed because I would like to get Nareed's take on one of the Pope's consistent messages throughout this trip, namely the need to recover a sense of sacrifice for the common good.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 25th, 2015 at 12:11:10 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Here is Pope Francis' prayer at Ground Zero. His reflection after the prayer is worth a read and really to me was just a continuation of his prayer.

O God of love, compassion, and healing,
look on us, people of many different faiths
and religious traditions,
who gather today on this hallowed ground,
the scene of unspeakable violence and pain.
We ask you in your goodness
to give eternal light and peace
to all who died here:
the heroic first-responders:
our fire fighters, police officers,
emergency service workers, and
Port Authority personnel,
along with all the innocent men and women
who were victims of this tragedy
simply because their work or service
brought them here on September 11, 2001.

We ask you, in your compassion,
to bring healing to those
who, because of their presence here fourteen years ago,
continue to suffer from injuries and illness.
Heal, too, the pain of still-grieving families
and all who lost loved ones in this tragedy.
Give them strength to continue their lives
with courage and hope.

We are mindful as well
of those who suffered death, injury, and loss
on the same day at the Pentagon and in
Shanksville, Pennsylvania.
Our hearts are one with theirs
as our prayer embraces their pain and suffering.

God of peace, bring your peace to our violent world:
peace in the hearts of all men and women
and peace among the nations of the earth.
Turn to your way of love
those whose hearts and minds
are consumed with hatred
and who justify killing in the name of religion.
God of understanding,
overwhelmed by the magnitude of this tragedy,
we seek your light and guidance
as we confront such terrible events.
Grant that those whose lives were spared
may live so that the lives lost here
may not have been lost in vain.

Comfort and console us,
strengthen us in hope,
and give us the wisdom and courage
to work tirelessly for a world
where true peace and love reign
among nations and in the hearts of all.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 25th, 2015 at 12:41:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Here is Pope Francis' prayer at Ground Zero. His reflection after the prayer is worth a read and really to me was just a continuation of his prayer.

O God of love, compassion, and healing,

And on and on. Regular ol boilerplate
churchy stuff you can hear any Sunday
in any church. The pope should really
be doing more constructive things,
like making it OK for women to be
priests and saving his under water
Church.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 25th, 2015 at 1:16:39 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
I only know one popemobile joke.

Joe once told his friend Mike he was very famous in Europe. Mike never believed him. So Joe invited him to Rome, where he claimed he'd appear with the pope at the balcony.

In Rome at the time of the event Mike finds he didn't bring his binoculars. All he can tell is there are two people on the balcony. Someone in the crowd pokes him, hands him a pair of binoculars and asks "Mister, can you take a look and tell me who's the guy in the funny hat standing next to Joe?"
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 25th, 2015 at 1:23:58 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Oh, and there's this one:

http://www.cosmicyarns.com/2015/09/the-physics-of-popes.html
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 25th, 2015 at 2:34:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
"Pope Francis is probably a great guy, and I have no doubt that his heart is in the right place, but let’s not fool ourselves into thinking that the Catholic Church has undergone some sort of radical transformation under his leadership. Instead, let’s remember that those who applaud the Pope are lending implicit support to all that the Catholic Church represents, including pervasive cover-ups of rampant sexual abuse, on-going condemnation of birth-control and reproductive rights, and the continued marginalization and exclusion of LGBT people. Until those things change — and don’t hold your breath for that to happen — I’m not going to be cheering for the Pope, and neither should you."

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unfundamentalistchristians/2015/09/im-not-a-fan-of-the-pope-and-you-shouldnt-be-either/?ref_widget=popular&ref_blog=formerlyfundie&ref_post=what-jesus-meant-when-he-said-i-didnt-come-to-bring-peace-but-a-sword
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 25th, 2015 at 3:09:37 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
"Pope Francis is probably a great guy, and I have no doubt that his heart is in the right place, but let’s not fool ourselves into thinking that the Catholic Church has undergone some sort of radical transformation under his leadership. Instead, let’s remember that those who applaud the Pope are lending implicit support to all that the Catholic Church represents, including pervasive cover-ups of rampant sexual abuse, on-going condemnation of birth-control and reproductive rights, and the continued marginalization and exclusion of LGBT people. Until those things change — and don’t hold your breath for that to happen — I’m not going to be cheering for the Pope, and neither should you."

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unfundamentalistchristians/2015/09/im-not-a-fan-of-the-pope-and-you-shouldnt-be-either/?ref_widget=popular&ref_blog=formerlyfundie&ref_post=what-jesus-meant-when-he-said-i-didnt-come-to-bring-peace-but-a-sword

So let them find a Protestant sect they are happier with. Why do people expect the Catholic Church to bend old rules to make them happy?

In parts of the USA there are all kinds of various Christian churches that are all small. If you do not like one you can just drive down the road and pick another. The Catholic Church is 2000 years old and as such is going to be quite a bit more inflexible in its rules.

The same site seems to be pretty friendly towards muslims. I wonder if they saw how that religion treats women and gays?
The President is a fink.
September 25th, 2015 at 3:14:58 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Evenbob
"— I’m not going to be cheering for the Pope, and neither should you."

Fine, you want to keep raining on FrGamble's and the Popes parade, nothing I can do
But to get on your high horse ant tell others not to cheer, that's just sad and wrong.
You don't want to cheer, fine.
DONT TELL ME NOT TO CHEER, I have a right to cheer for ever I want to
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"