Quote: terapined

DONT TELL ME NOT TO CHEER, I have a right to cheer for ever I want to

The point is, cheering for the pope is
cheering for all the horrible things he
stands for. Anti Gay marriage, anti
Gay sexuality, anti LGBT rights, anti
birth control, anti women priests,
the list goes on and on.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 25th, 2015 at 3:26:04 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Evenbob
The point is, cheering for the pope is
cheering for all the horrible things he
stands for. Anti Gay marriage, anti
Gay sexuality, anti LGBT rights, anti
birth control, anti women priests,
the list goes on and on.

Total BS

I cheer for a lot of people, all flawed, the Pope is no exception.
There are no perfect humans
We all cheer for flawed individuals
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 25th, 2015 at 3:56:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: terapined
Total BS

I cheer for a lot of people, all flawed, the Pope is no exception.

Flawed? Blatant discrimination is a 'flaw'
now? Blatant bigotry is now a 'flaw'?

Talk about PC baloney.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 25th, 2015 at 3:59:50 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Flawed? Blatant discrimination is a 'flaw'
now? Blatant bigotry is now a 'flaw'?

There is no discrimination or bigotry going on. The church has rules for what is acceptable and what is not. Nobody is forced to be a member.
The President is a fink.
September 25th, 2015 at 4:07:33 PM permalink
AZDuffman
One thing I find interesting about the Pope is that there is no religious leader that comes close in stature. There is no other legit religious leader that the average person can even name (maybe the Dali Lama to a certain extent.) Is there a head of the Jewish religion? Protestant Christians are divided among half a dozen major sects and who knows how many "local" ones. Can you name any of their leaders without googling it? Muslims are divided and no central figure.

But the Pope has this recognition. While the status of Pope has fallen since the times when the Church reset the calendar and most of the civilized world followed, the respect factor remains. Really only the Pope and POTUS get such a reception when they visit any corner of the world.
The President is a fink.
September 25th, 2015 at 4:40:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: AZDuffman
There is no discrimination or bigotry going on. The church has rules for what is acceptable and what is not. Nobody is forced to be a member.

It's still discrimination and bigotry. You're
saying the KKK is fine because it has rules
and nobody forces you to be a member.

Bigotry is bigotry. Ask Nareed how welcoming the
Church is.
September 25th, 2015 at 4:43:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
One thing I find interesting about the Pope is that there is no religious leader that comes close in stature.

Yet CNN did a poll on Monday asking
if people were going to follow the
popes visit on TV. 70% said nope.

Quote:
the respect factor remains

Not from me, I know too much about
what ex popes have done.
September 25th, 2015 at 5:07:58 PM permalink
AZDuffman
It's still discrimination and bigotry. You're
saying the KKK is fine because it has rules
and nobody forces you to be a member.

Bigotry is bigotry. Ask Nareed how welcoming the
Church is.

Rules for admission are not bigotry, they are free association. I joined the Masons in WNY. Three simple rules for consideration for admission:

1. No females
2. No atheists
3. No gays

Now, nobody needs to be a Mason to function. So if you do not meet the membership requirements, sorry, go join another group. Same with the KKK. As long as they are not hurting anyone, let them have the members they want. If they want to have family outings with just folks that think alike, they are hurting nobody. If you do not agree with their agenda, don't join.

Churches are the same way. Flat out they say, "Here's the deal. We have celibate males as our leaders. We discourage divorce, birth control, and gay sex. We believe all of this makes us stronger people. But if you do not care for this you are not required to show up."
The President is a fink.
September 25th, 2015 at 5:23:56 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Flat out they say, "Here's the deal. We have celibate males as our leaders. We discourage divorce, birth control, and gay sex. We believe all of this makes us stronger people. But if you do not care for this you are not required to show up."

Which is dictionary definition of discrimination and bigotry. Not that I oppose it; just being a pedant.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 25th, 2015 at 5:30:48 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Face
Which is dictionary definition of discrimination and bigotry. Not that I oppose it; just being a pedant.

By that rationale virtually every organization is discriminatory. Any rule a bigoted rule.

By EB's standard, NOW is a discriminatory group because they just support women's issues, not men's as well. I wonder if he thinks taxi medallion rules are discriminatory since they limit who can own a cab?
The President is a fink.