Hey FrGamble!

Page 1 of 1711234>Last »
September 27th, 2015 at 4:35:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Something is wrong, you have accidentally
blocked me. Could you please remedy that?
I have a video from Fmr Fr Tarte to send you.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 29th, 2015 at 10:35:40 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
You know I just blocked you for the Pope's visit because of your bigoted and ignorant posts, but I think I might make it a permanent thing. I just wish I could see some recognition that you realize you are not making sense or some glimpse that your mind is opening to new ways of thinking about things that you have been closed to for so very long.

Your last post on morality was just downright scary. As awful and scary as I think that story about the person drinking from the Pope's cup was, it is infinitely more frightening to me that there are actually people who believe they are the source of morality. This sickness can only come from atheism, it is a sickness all around us, it has led to the bloodiest century in the history of humanity and I fear worse to come. It is a sickness unto death.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 30th, 2015 at 9:22:20 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: FrGamble
You know I just blocked you for the Pope's visit because of your bigoted and ignorant posts, but I think I might make it a permanent thing. I just wish I could see some recognition that you realize you are not making sense or some glimpse that your mind is opening to new ways of thinking about things that you have been closed to for so very long.

Your last post on morality was just downright scary. As awful and scary as I think that story about the person drinking from the Pope's cup was, it is infinitely more frightening to me that there are actually people who believe they are the source of morality. This sickness can only come from atheism, it is a sickness all around us, it has led to the bloodiest century in the history of humanity and I fear worse to come. It is a sickness unto death.

Appears King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia agrees with you:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudi-arabia-declares-all-atheists-are-terrorists-in-new-law-to-crack-down-on-political-dissidents-9228389.html

Atheism is terrorism, according to him. Great, another use of the word 'terrorism' to mean something completely different. Personally I find the whole war on terrorism to be a sickness all around us, which is leading to the bloodiest century in history, and I fear worse to come.

----

As for your point, it's rather dull to see you -again- use the old, broken argument that atheism was the reason for Stalin, Hitler or Pol Pot. It didn't, and it's a complete fallacy to pretend it did.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
September 30th, 2015 at 10:14:50 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: TheCesspit
Great, another use of the word 'terrorism' to mean something completely different.

That is because the PC world does not have the guts to call it what it is, a war against radical islam. Radical islam launched another crusade in the late 1960s but we have refused to believe it for what it is. We will eventually pay, hard.
The President is a fink.
September 30th, 2015 at 10:17:33 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

I wouldn't use the word "scary", but I am equally confused that you cannot see outside of the church box.

As an atheist, I wouldn't say my morality comes from "me". Rather, I would use the word "us". I've longed believed in a sort of Naturalism, and I do believe that morality is a natural event. It's tough and arguable when looking just at humans, because humans have created a belief in God and it's hard to separate one from the other. But looking to the animal kingdom at large, I think it's easy and obvious to subscribe to this natural path.

Look to our closest relatives. Monkeys have no God. Even if you believe He created them, there is not one lick of Scripture involving the monkey. It is an animal for us to respect and use, no different than a mule. Yet don't they have morality? Does not a monkey do nice things for those in its family? Protection, the providing of food, grooming, consoling, nursing, petting, hugging, and all sorts of other "nice" things. They care for each other, celebrate with each other, play with each other. Do you not see this as a morality structure? I do. And I can go down the list of upper mammals and find the same. I see the same in them as I do in us. Whether a pack of dogs or a pod of dolphins or a herd of elephants, all social mammals act in similar fashion.

I see us mirrored in them all the time. If a monkey steals a fruit from its own pack, a fight ensues. This weakens that family. Trust is broken, hard feelings develop, injuries occur. The actions of one being weakens the entire unit. Isn't that exactly like us? If one monkey just doesn't tow the line, it is forced out of its society and left to fend for itself. Sound familiar? And while most monkeys are chill and spend their time grooming and playing and sharing food, if another family of monkeys gets too close and starts threatening the other family's resources, there's a hell of a fight. All the able bodied monkeys form a battalion and systematically attack the interlopers until they flee or until they are dead. Again, sound familiar?

Sure, some of my morality comes from "God". I have people in my family who follow Him, and as they have His lessons, so have they given them to me. But in that same fashion, so too has some of my morality come from Aesop's Fables. Some from The Cosby Show. Some from Little League Football. Some from Steven King's The Dark Tower. And some from simple personal experience. I have learned that doing good for others, for "the group", is more beneficial to me personally than things I have done purely for the benefit of me. Being nice, being "moral", is the best play. And so this atheist has morals.

That's not sick. It's purely natural. And a bit beautiful.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 30th, 2015 at 10:54:23 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
As an atheist, I wouldn't say my morality comes from "me". Rather, I would use the word "us". I've longed believed in a sort of Naturalism, and I do believe that morality is a natural event.

Before determining exactly where morality comes from, one has to ask two questions: What is morality? and more important, what is morality good for?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 30th, 2015 at 11:11:59 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: TheCesspit

As for your point, it's rather dull to see you -again- use the old, broken argument that atheism was the reason for Stalin, Hitler or Pol Pot. It didn't, and it's a complete fallacy to pretend it did.

I'm curious why you think atheism was not essential in allowing these men to supplant God with themselves and do horrible things because it was what they wanted.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 30th, 2015 at 11:18:43 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Nareed
Before determining exactly where morality comes from, one has to ask two questions: What is morality? and more important, what is morality good for?

Morality: n - principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.

And it's good for avoiding conflict. Conflict costs energy, whether animal or human. I happen to enjoy sleeping soundly knowing that the majority of our society isn't going to steal my truck, squat my house, or kill me for personal gain.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 30th, 2015 at 11:19:55 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Face
I wouldn't use the word "scary", but I am equally confused that you cannot see outside of the church box.

As an atheist, I wouldn't say my morality comes from "me". Rather, I would use the word "us". I've longed believed in a sort of Naturalism, and I do believe that morality is a natural event. It's tough and arguable when looking just at humans, because humans have created a belief in God and it's hard to separate one from the other. But looking to the animal kingdom at large, I think it's easy and obvious to subscribe to this natural path.

What I am reacting to is a mentality that does but the "I" or ego as the source of morality. This is what atheism allows someone to do. We don't stop believing in an all-powerful being we just make ourselves into that being. This is NOT the case for all atheists! I am saying that without atheism this self worship which is the cause of all our suffering in the world is not possible.

Many atheists recognize that morality is not about "me", but rather is a natural inborn tendency, shared and mirrored in nature to care for each other. In this case morality is shown to be not just about what I want, but rather it is based on something beyond me - something I can't control or change to my liking. I have no problem with this. I see this natural morality as an important recognition of the imprint of the creator and as a foundation upon which Christian morality can be built.

So in summary let me -again- say that atheists can be very moral and often put my Christian brothers and sisters to shame in regards to goodness. However, it is not because of their atheism that they are good, in fact I believe it is a dangerous idea that followed out to its logical conclusion does not inspire goodness. An atheist who recognizes that morality is not about "me", but about "us" is recognizing that there is something greater than him/herself and that is a very good thing. Even if that something is not God it protects the person from a sad and destructive self-centered life.
September 30th, 2015 at 11:45:03 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I'm curious why you think atheism was not essential in allowing these men to supplant God with themselves and do horrible things because it was what they wanted.

And when the Church did horrible things in
the name of Jesus, that was god telling them
to do it? You can't have it both ways, you
know. If you're going to hold atheists to a
standard, you have to hold YOUR Church to
the same standard. It looks like the Church
did what they wanted when they forced
conversion on innocent people and burned
heretics at the stake. Who do we blame for
that?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 1 of 1711234>Last »