Yet another aviation thread.

September 5th, 2016 at 3:36:34 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Pacomartin

Since Customs and Border Police (CBP) does not have legal powers on foreign soil, passengers can only be detained for local laws by local authorities. A passenger can choose to abandon their flight and refuse search, and unlike in the United States, officers cannot search them. Most preclearance facilities have a sign explaining this. CBP Officers in the Preclearance Division are not armed while on foreign soil.

U.S. officials may question and search travellers with the passenger's permission, but they do not have powers of arrest (either for customs or immigration violations, or for the execution of outstanding warrants), although they can deny boarding.

Twice while going through US Customs (Pre-clearance) in Vancouver I have seen the dogs pick-up something and the person has been led away and they had not given any permission to the US custom agents doing the search. I was under the impression that the agents had the right to detain you but I will defer to your research Paco.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 7th, 2016 at 12:06:49 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
How's this for a kick in the teeth:

A coworker had to fly to Hermosillo today. Yesterday we repeatedly tired and failed to get his boarding pass from Interjet's website. You can get it at the airport, but then you need to arrive 2 hours before departure (lots of early-morning traffic). So for the 06:10 departure, he had to arrive at 04:10 (ouch!)

He had the boarding pass in hand, from a kiosk, by about 04:30. Around 05:50 the airline announced a delay, and promised an update by 07:00 at the latest.

That's bad enough, right? but it gets worse.

The update was that there'd be another update in another hour. And that update was that <drumroll> the flight is cancelled due to weather.

That's it. That's all I know. I got no more details.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 11th, 2016 at 7:10:08 AM permalink
Nareed
Some info on the Emirates crash:

http://www.askthepilot.com/emirates-crash-landing/
September 13th, 2016 at 10:25:29 AM permalink
Nareed
This could be troublesome. Interjet has discontinued its flights from TLC to LAS. If you search for flights from MEX to LAS, there are option, but they involve connections in GDL or MTY.

I thought the new agreement between the US and Mexican government removed restrictions as to how many airlines could conduct flights between city pairs, thus Interjet can open up a MEX-LAS flight. The reason for the TLC-LAS flight in the first place, was that AM and Volaris already operated MEX-LAS routes. So maybe it will come up.

Not in time for this week's very long weekend, though (half day on the 15th, holiday on the 116th. That's a 3.5 day weekend!)
September 20th, 2016 at 8:41:57 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I wonder how airlines pick flight numbers
Had a client book SFO to SIN on UA
The flight number is one
Noticed SQ also had a nonstop, flight number 1
I remember old America West operated a flight from Phoenix to Columbus OH, flight 1492 :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 20th, 2016 at 8:44:08 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
Had a client book SFO to SIN on UA
The flight number is one
Noticed SQ also had a nonstop, flight number 1
I remember old America West operated a flight from Phoenix to Columbus OH, flight 1492 :-)

Many airlines have or have had 777 as a flight to Las Vegas.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 20th, 2016 at 8:46:39 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: terapined

All I know is I've seen reciprocal flights differ by the last digit only. I mean flights that go from A to B and then back to A, be it the same plane or not. For instance, Interjet's flight from TLC-LAS was, I think 4O 900, the return from LAS-TLC was 4O 901.

BA was famous for assigning Concorde flights BA 001 and BA 002 from LHR-JFK. Later they gave those numbers to the banker's shuttle from London City. As one has been discontinued, I suppose BA 002 is currently unemployed :)
September 20th, 2016 at 8:56:10 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Nareed
All I know is I've seen reciprocal flights differ by the last digit only. I mean flights that go from A to B and then back to A, be it the same plane or not. For instance, Interjet's flight from TLC-LAS was, I think 4O 900, the return from LAS-TLC was 4O 901.

BA was famous for assigning Concorde flights BA 001 and BA 002 from LHR-JFK. Later they gave those numbers to the banker's shuttle from London City. As one has been discontinued, I suppose BA 002 is currently unemployed :)

United SFO to SIN flight number 1
United SIN to SFO flight number 2

high 4 digit flight numbers usually indicate a codeshare. Airline does no operate flight but sells tickets on that flight
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 20th, 2016 at 9:48:40 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed

British Airways Flight 1 takes about an hour to fly from LCY to Shannon
British Airways Flight 1 Shannon 11:46 AM to JFK 2:10 PM
British Airways Flight 2 JFK 6:50 PM to 7:19 AM London City (LCY)

For flight #2 you have the option of dining in terminal so that you can go right to sleep.

They are going to retire flights #3 and #4 in a few weeks.
October 7th, 2016 at 7:39:27 AM permalink
Nareed
The second A320neo for Mexico has been delivered to Viva Aerobus. Volaris got the first a short time ago.