Yet another aviation thread.

October 13th, 2016 at 11:28:00 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The A330-800neo and the A330-900neo are two new members of the Airbus Widebody Family with first deliveries scheduled to start in Q4 2017.

I don't know if it is a weight requirement or if they are just concerned about the freight cracking open the Lexan polycarbonate or acrylic plastics. While this material isrelatively strong against a crazed passenger who is beating on the window with his shoe, I don't think it will handle the full weight of freight that has come unhinged.
October 13th, 2016 at 12:39:42 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
The A330-800neo and the A330-900neo are two new members of the Airbus Widebody Family with first deliveries scheduled to start in Q4 2017.

I had no idea they were that far along...

Quote:
I don't know if it is a weight requirement or if they are just concerned about the freight cracking open the Lexan polycarbonate or acrylic plastics. While this material isrelatively strong against a crazed passenger who is beating on the window with his shoe, I don't think it will handle the full weight of freight that has come unhinged.

Maybe they're worried more about the cost of replacing windows. A broken window in a compartment without passengers is no big deal.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 13th, 2016 at 1:00:05 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
Maybe they're worried more about the cost of replacing windows. A broken window in a compartment without passengers is no big deal.

I don't know that is necessarily true. A lot of freight may be climate controlled. It might make the plane much harder to steer the plane, or at the very least it would almost certainly cost you in fuel to have that much resistance. I've ridden in the back of freight aircraft in a couple of seats, so I think it might be fairly common to mix in a few seats. Even if there are no seats, you are also talking about a lot of pressure at 30,000 feet, so the internal walls might not be able to take that kind of force.
October 13th, 2016 at 4:01:37 PM permalink
Nareed
I don't know that is necessarily true. A lot of freight may be climate controlled.

So are the pilots. They get dead when the environment isn't just right :)

Quote:
I've ridden in the back of freight aircraft in a couple of seats, so I think it might be fairly common to mix in a few seats. Even if there are no seats, you are also talking about a lot of pressure at 30,000 feet, so the internal walls might not be able to take that kind of force.

A cousin of mine worked at El Al, and he often caught free passage on El AL 747 cargo planes. According to him, it was strictly in the cockpit jump seat. But also according to him there's a working galley and restroom right off the cockpit, and the bulkhead separating them from the cargo cabin is not airtight. So decompression in the cabin means decompression in the cockpit, just like in passenger planes.

I can see you wouldn't want that. But the risk of shifting cargo goes beyond decompression. Like in having an uncontrollable plane, since if the center of gravity shits forward, no amount of aerodynamic controls will get you back level. And civilian jets are notoriously short on parachutes (cargo planes should have them, IMO, but that's a different story).
October 13th, 2016 at 4:32:09 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

A cousin of mine worked at El Al, and he often caught free passage on El AL 747 cargo planes. According to him, it was strictly in the cockpit jump seat.

About 25 years ago I was offered the opportunity to fly jumpseat from San Francisco to Tokyo (via Anchorage) on a United 747 cargo plane that my friend was the captain of. Sadly, I couldn't do it because I would have had to miss a couple days of work.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 13th, 2016 at 4:40:26 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: DRich
About 25 years ago I was offered the opportunity to fly jumpseat from San Francisco to Tokyo (via Anchorage) on a United 747 cargo plane that my friend was the captain of. Sadly, I couldn't do it because I would have had to miss a couple days of work.

According to Patrick Smith, it's a rather uncomfortable seat. Plus you can't talk much to the pilots on duty.

But you can't beat the view!

What I never asked my cousin, is how the upper deck was set up. I don't suppose much cargo was kept there. And on long haul cargo flights, there ought to be a crew rest area.
October 18th, 2016 at 10:10:46 AM permalink
Nareed
I wonder what will happen if one of the outfits currently developing supersonic passenger jets succeeds. That manes building and placing at least one SST in service with at least one airline.

Here's what I mean: SSTs would be aimed at first class passengers, because the fares will likely be that high. But will the people willing and able to pay such prices want an SST?

Consider what are likely to be the first routes: NYC-London and NYC-Paris. Currently for the price of a first class ticket you get a lie-flat seat, seatback entertainment, a gourmet meal and, depending on airline, inflight WiFi. Concorde was often described as being all-first class, but the seats were narrow, they didn't lie flat, they had no seatback screens, no WiFi, but the food was said to be the best AF and BA had to offer. Essentially they were economy seats, with a gourmet meal.

The thing is back then the option was a 2.5-3 hour flight under not ideal comfort, vs a 6-7 hour flight in great comfort.

My thinking is many people, after the novelty wears off, might prefer a longer flight, especially in the evening, on which they can sleep. If you eat dinner at the lounge prior to your evening flight, and use an eye mask and earplugs, and can sleep in planes (turbulence is not conductive to sleep), you can get 5+ hours sleep easily. Or you might want to have a leisurely meal while you watch a movie, and then sleep for 3.5-4 hours.

No question of putting lie-flat seats on an SST with a max flight time of 4 hours, right? Though they'd make sense on longer flights, if the new supersonic planes can manage them (Concorde couldn't). Supersonic or not, a 6+ hour flight requires a bed for people paying premium fares.

What say you?
October 18th, 2016 at 11:28:21 AM permalink
Pacomartin
What say you?

Well the 5 hour difference between London and New York means that even if you take off at 7 AM and get there in 3.5 hours it's already late afternoon in the business day (3:30 PM). If you fly at 1AM you can be there at the office by first thing in the morning, but once you've given up your night, you may simply want to take 7 hours for the flight and get a decent nights sleep in a flat bed for the same money.

In 1978 they figured that some executives from London would like to fly to JFK for 4 hours and return to Heathrow only 11.5 hours after they left (3:45 each way + 4 hours). So the special executive meeting suit was made available for rent at JFK
BAW173 LHR-JFK /Monday-Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday-Sunday/ DEP:9:30 ARR:8:25
BAW170 JFK-LHR /Daily/ DEP:12:15 ARR:21:00

If they can control the sonic boom, there will always be that market in different cities, especially if they stretch it so that you have 5 hours in the USA.

But if you can control the sonic boom, I am sure that there will be a healthy New York to Los Angeles market (2.4 hours). Look at it this way, there are 50,000 people travelling each direction from LA to NYC on every day. You should keep a 40 seat plane busy with 4-5 flights a day.

United States (September 2014 - August 2015)
1 Chicago, IL (Metro Area) - New York City, NY (Metro Area) 4,020,000 (740 mi)
2 Los Angeles, CA (Metro Area) - San Francisco, CA (Metro Area) 3,660,000 (337 miles)
3 Los Angeles, CA (Metro Area) - New York City, NY (Metro Area) 3,420,000 (2475 miles)
4 Chicago, IL (Metro Area) - Los Angeles, CA (Metro Area) 3,010,000 (1744 miles)
JFK LHR 3,451 mi

If you are always trying to take advantage of the clocks so that each flight lands roughly at the time it takes off then perhaps the plane could circle the globe.

LHR JFK 3,451 mi
JFK LAX 2,475 mi
LAX HNL 2,556 mi
HNL NRT 3,819 mi
NRT HKG 1,842 mi
HKG DXB 3,684 mi
DXB LHR 3,421 mi

The presumption is those 40 passengers would take subsonic planes to return home when they don't have the clocks working with them.
October 18th, 2016 at 11:50:05 AM permalink
Nareed
If you fly at 1AM you can be there at the office by first thing in the morning, but once you've given up your night, you may simply want to take 7 hours for the flight and get a decent nights sleep in a flat bed for the same money.

My point exactly.

Quote:
If they can control the sonic boom, there will always be that market in different cities, especially if they stretch it so that you have 5 hours in the USA.

Oh yes! But I'm assuming the first generation, at least, won't be able to fly over land due to the boom. 1) Because their promo material says nothing about it and 2) because regulations die shard. Even if they can fly without making a bad sonic boom (no question of eliminating it entirely in the near future), it'll be years before the bureaucracy catches up.

Quote:
But if you can control the sonic boom, I am sure that there will be a healthy New York to Los Angeles market (2.4 hours). Look at it this way, there are 50,000 people travelling each direction from LA to NYC on every day. You should keep a 40 seat plane busy with 4-5 flights a day.

Not only that, the time difference westward works for you. Essentially you arrive half an hour before you leave, all times local. If you leave NYC at 10, you arrive at LAX around 9:30. But then you pay it back going home. If you leave LAX at 4 pm, you arrive at NYC at 9:30 pm.

You'd also have aged about an infinitesimal fraction of a second less than people taking subsonic flights ;)

Now, how about longer routes, like IAH-LHR (about ten+ hours subsonic) or MEX-LHR (about 12 hours subsonic)? At 2.5+X the speed, let's say 2.65X for argument's sake, this gives you almost 4 hours from IAH and 4 1/2 from MEX. Not bad, but edging into territory where premium passengers won't be satisfied with a coach seat, no matter how good the food or how much time they save. Also rather long for a day trip (i.e. returning the same day).
October 18th, 2016 at 2:20:55 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Now, how about longer routes, like IAH-LHR (about ten+ hours subsonic) or MEX-LHR (about 12 hours subsonic)? At 2.5+X the speed, let's say 2.65X for argument's sake, this gives you almost 4 hours from IAH and 4 1/2 from MEX. Not bad, but edging into territory where premium passengers won't be satisfied with a coach seat, no matter how good the food or how much time they save. Also rather long for a day trip (i.e. returning the same day).

I always thought the holy grail of any future supersonic commercial aircraft was two round trips from LAX to Tokyo in one 24 hour day. I was a little surprised at the Boom specifications which were about 10%-15% faster than Concorde and a similar range.

As I understand it, after a while the charter business was a big part of the Concorde business. I had a friend who won a one way flight on the Concorde with a business promotion (she sold TV advertising time) and had the return via subsonic.

The following article describes one guy who rented the plane for $2500 a seat for one way from London to Omaha in 1986. Although inflation calculations indicate that is about $5500 in today's dollars, my guess is the Concorde was probably renting for a million dollars one way for the entire plane ($10K per seat).

One group is trying to revive the Concorde for charter flights by 2019.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3239952/Concorde-set-return-skies-Supersonic-jet-used-charter-flights-2019.html

If you can charter the 40 seat Boom plane for less than half a million dollars, that may be attractive to a reasonable group of rich people or for business promotions.

Quote: New York Times: December 29, 1986

''We didn't want a traditional wedding,'' said Mr. Moschenross, a 32-year-old general manager of a fabric store chain in Vancouver, British Columbia.

In an era in which jetliners have become the subways of the skies, the Moschenrosses joined the growing ranks of air travelers yearning to put the fancy back into flight by riding the Concorde, the needle-thin, droopy-nosed, supersonic plane.

The chariot of corporate executives and the super-rich - regular one-way trans-Atlantic fares now cost more than $2,100 - the Concorde has now been put within the reach of many erstwhile armchair travelers, thanks to an array of cheaper charter flights offered through Air France and British Airways, operators of the planes.

The two airlines are working with independent tour operators to transform the planes' idle ground time into a charter business that has brought Concorde to America's heartland and fatter profits to the carriers' coffers.

''There's no mystery to it,'' said Bruce C. Haxthausen, a spokesman for Air France in New York. ''We're trying to maximize the Concorde's appeal.''

This year, Air France and British Air flew about 100 charters, at 100 seats a plane, to and from American destinations, up from a just a handful three years ago.

The charters range from two-hour supersonic joy rides, complete with in-flight champagne, to package tours that combine a trans-Atlantic Concorde crossing with a return sailing on the Queen Elizabeth 2. Fine crystal, linen tablecloths and red carpet treatment await the Concorde travelers, all of whom are considered first-class passengers.

''Everyone's been to Hawaii, they've done Acapulco, then this comes along,'' said Ronald Hersh, general manager of T.V. Travel Inc., a travel agency in Dayton, Ohio, that offers Concorde-QE2 package trips.

Elsewhere the boom is on, and includes deals such as these:

* Air France reports heavy advance bookings for a two-hour New Year's Eve flight over the Atlantic from Kennedy International Airport. The so-called ''Flight to Nowhere'' concludes with a New Year's Eve party at a Manhattan night club. The price is $799 per person, about one-third the cost of a regular Concorde seat from New York to Paris.

* Carriage Travel, the Vancouver-based operator that leased the Air France Concorde on which the Moschenrosses were married, plans to fly 10 two-hour charters over the Pacific in early January from Oakland International Airport. The fare is $895, canapes and open bar included.

* Air Jamaica has leased a British Airways Concorde for 12 flights between New York and Montego Bay through March 7. A one-way ticket costs $799.

Concorde passengers speak of the aura and mystique of flying at 1,350 miles an hour at the edge of space, where the sky turns mauve and the earth's surface curves.

''It was a once-in-a-lifetime deal,'' said Ken M. Tossey, who took a Concorde-QE2 trip from Columbus, Ohio, to London with his wife, Chloe, last July.

The Concorde, which celebrates its 11th anniversary next month, operates regularly scheduled flights from Miami, Washington and New York. Predictably, the chartered SST's have made their biggest splash in cities new to the plane, such as Buffalo, Oklahoma City and Colorado Springs, where throngs of curious spectators have waited for hours for a glimpse of the jetliner.

In Dayton, Ohio, the Wright brothers hometown that has many aviation enthusiasts, about 40,000 people jammed roads leading to the airport last May to watch a chartered British Airways Concorde land. Pilot Signed Autographs

''People brought blankets, coolers and lawn chairs,'' said Sharon Caudill, a spokesman for Dayton International Airport. ''It was a big deal. The pilot was signing autographs and everything.''

''The people who come out to watch are prospective customers,'' said Deborah M. Bernstein, a spokesman for British Airways in New York, which leases its planes to tour operators for $155,000 a trip.

Last summer, WVBF-FM, a Boston radio station, chartered a British Airways Concorde for a night view of Halley's Comet, and invited 50 listeners who had won a station-sponsored contest.

''People were more intrigued with the plane than the comet,'' said Kenneth G. Spitzer, the station's general manager.

And for that special, sentimental trip, you can rent a Concorde for yourself, just as Willy Theisen did a year ago. To celebrate his 40th birthday, Mr. Theisen, founder of the Godfather's pizza parlor chain, paid $250,000 to fly his wife and 98 friends and business associates between London and his home in Omaha.

In London, Mr. Theisen picked up the tab for five days of accommodations before jetting home. ''There's been nothing to top it,'' he said.