Neo-monophysitism

December 15th, 2015 at 11:50:04 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
What I think it shows us is that the Lord with be with us even in the midst of our good time and our bad.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 15th, 2015 at 11:54:01 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
can ask why is it there and can its effects be noticed or in some way?

There would be evidence and there is
none. (geez this is getting boring,
it's like talking to a robot)

Quote:
You are infinitely important to Him as He has uniquely created you. Open your mind and heart to Him instead of closing it off with the ridiculous belief there is no God and I can guarantee you that He will show Himself to you.

I don't have a closed mind at all, I resent
the implication. I'm significantly older than
you and have been looking at this stuff
with an open mind for a very long time.
The more I study Christians, the more confused
they seem. If their god wants and needs them
so desperately, why can't he herd them under
one roof, instead of thousands.

You have the advantage of tunnel vision, you
only see your brand of Christianity. I see them
all at once, they're all the same to me. All I
see is confusion and chaos and if that's god
revealing himself, it looks more like a madhouse
than a church. I want nothing to do with it.

Here I am, I'm not stopping a god from revealing
himself. How hard can that be. I've had that
attitude for over 40 years an am still waiting.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 15th, 2015 at 12:02:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
It is amazing that the all-powerful God of the universe loves us so very much.

Not really. If there was such a being and all
the things you say are true, it's rather his
job to love us, and our job to be subservient.
That's how this deal works. It would be like
me being amazed that my dog loves me so
much. That's how he's wired, he has no choice,
nothing amazing there at all.

What would be amazing is if you thought your
god didn't love you. What's the point of inventing
a god that hates you, that would be rather counter
productive.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 15th, 2015 at 12:35:15 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
What I think it shows us is that the Lord with be with us even in the midst of our good time and our bad.

Do you know the dark joke about the guy who killed his parents? At trial he asks the judge for mercy because he's an orphan.

See, nothing changes the fact that your god decided to kill an awful lot of people he claims to love, if you take the myths seriously. This describes an abuser. IN the case of Job, Jehovah decides to torture the man, to kill his family, and then to call him names, all over a bet.

If you call this love, you definitely have no idea what love is.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 15th, 2015 at 12:44:37 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
There would be evidence and there is
none. (geez this is getting boring,
it's like talking to a robot)

There is evidence that God is real, ask me or any of the other people in the world that believe in God and have experienced His real presence and effectiveness in their lives.

Quote:
I don't have a closed mind at all, I resent
the implication.

I'm sorry, but in regards to Catholicism in particular you do have a closed mind and seem to refuse to truly listen to what the Church teaches preferring instead your misconceptions and twisted view of dogmas and history.

Quote:
I'm significantly older than
you and have been looking at this stuff
with an open mind for a very long time.
The more I study Christians, the more confused
they seem. If their god wants and needs them
so desperately, why can't he herd them under
one roof, instead of thousands.

It is one roof, just with many different rooms. It was not always so. Dang our pride and sin that separates us and causes so much division in the world.

Quote:
Here I am, I'm not stopping a god from revealing
himself. How hard can that be. I've had that
attitude for over 40 years an am still waiting.

Maybe you could start with acknowledging the possibility of a God existing and see what happens from there. Or simply offer a sincere prayer that you are open and ask God to reveal Himself to you.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 15th, 2015 at 12:48:22 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed

See, nothing changes the fact that your god decided to kill an awful lot of people he claims to love, if you take the myths seriously. This describes an abuser. IN the case of Job, Jehovah decides to torture the man, to kill his family, and then to call him names, all over a bet.

Remember two things about the story of Job. First it is a fictional story and second it is the evil one, not God that causes such misfortune to befall him. Also in every case I can quickly think of it is not as if God in the Scriptures kills people without warning them multiple times as to what their actions will cause. If a father continues to tell you not to run across the road, builds a fence, and grabs you over and over when you try but you still decide to hop the fence and run across people will get killed, sometimes even innocent people along with you.
December 15th, 2015 at 1:00:31 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Remember two things about the story of Job. First it is a fictional story

Yes, because it's contained in a 100% fictional book.

Quote:
and second it is the evil one, not God that causes such misfortune to befall him.

With Jehovah's permission and as part of a bet. This is like blaming the dealer for the hand.

Quote:
Also in every case I can quickly think of it is not as if God in the Scriptures kills people without warning them multiple times as to what their actions will cause. If a father continues to tell you not to run across the road, builds a fence, and grabs you over and over when you try but you still decide to hop the fence and run across people will get killed, sometimes even innocent people along with you.

In your parable, the parent gets so fed up he pushes the kid onto the road, as well as all the neighborhood kids he can grab. Then you come along and use this to illustrate how much this parent loved their children.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 15th, 2015 at 1:25:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
ask me or any of the other people in the world that believe in God and have experienced His real presence

You want your 'feelings' to convince people
god exists. Good luck with that.

Quote:
you do have a closed mind and seem to refuse to truly listen to what the Church teaches

I don't refuse to listen, I refuse to believe. Your
religion is based not on fact, but on wishful
thinking and hearsay after the fact second hand
information passed on by word of mouth and
then written down decades after the events
happened. Pardon me if I'm skeptical.

Quote:
It is one roof, just with many different rooms. It was not always so. Dang our pride and sin that separates us and causes so much division in the world.

Dang an all powerful god who can't even
keep the details of his own church in order.
It's almost like there's no god at all behind
it.

Quote:
Maybe you could start with acknowledging the possibility of a God existing and see what happens from there. .

Oh, that's how I was for decades. Do you think
I tried to become a Christian in my youth as
an atheist? I always looked at god as a possibility.
Somewhere along the line, after studying religion
after religion, I realized I was an atheist. It's not
a decision you make, it's a conclusion you come
to. And I did all that praying stuff decades ago,
nothing ever came of it. I wish we we're discussing
Hinduism, it's a far more interesting religion than
any of Yahweh's.
December 15th, 2015 at 2:13:46 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed
Yes, because it's contained in a 100% fictional book.

You know better than that.

Quote:
With Jehovah's permission and as part of a bet. This is like blaming the dealer for the hand.

You need to remember again the nature and genre of the story of Job. How do we deal with life when we are dealt a bad hand?

Quote:
In your parable, the parent gets so fed up he pushes the kid onto the road, as well as all the neighborhood kids he can grab. Then you come along and use this to illustrate how much this parent loved their children.

Not at all. God never causes us our pushes us to sin He is constantly trying to help us avoid the dangerous road. The dilemma here is that our children have free will to choose to disobey us and run across the road claiming that the parents warnings and fences are restricting us from doing what we want to do. What is a father to do?

When the kids run across the road innocent people are hurt too. Maybe another parable would involve the father telling the son not to do something that would involve the hurting and destruction of many people yet the rebellious child does it anyway.
December 15th, 2015 at 2:17:10 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
You want your 'feelings' to convince people
god exists. Good luck with that.

Not with feelings but with changed lives and real experiences.

Quote:
I don't refuse to listen, I refuse to believe.

This is the problem.

Quote:
Pardon me if I'm skeptical.

There is nothing at all wrong about being skeptical, it is healthy. This comment contradicts your earlier one.

Quote:
Dang an all powerful god who can't even
keep the details of his own church in order.

Dang the gift of free will.

Quote:
I wish we we're discussing
Hinduism,

I'm happy to discuss Hinduism. I'd love to learn more about Hinduism and discuss it. Start a thread.