Neo-monophysitism

December 14th, 2015 at 5:37:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Interesting theory. Forgive me if I don't trust your sources until you reveal where they are from. Why not try the Catechism of the Catholic Church?

Why not just restrict all my info to
what the Church puts out. That's the
way it used to be. That's the way they
want it to be again.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 14th, 2015 at 5:53:33 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
No, I just think that if you want to really understand the Church's teaching on Original Sin you might want to actually learn what the Church teaches about it instead of trusting some crazy people with an axe to grind against the Church or you poor formation and understanding of Christianity and the poor examples of Christians you constantly complain about.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 14th, 2015 at 6:01:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
No, I just think that if you want to really understand the Church's teaching on Original Sin you might want to actually learn what the Church teaches about it instead of trusting some crazy people with an axe to grind against the Church or you poor formation and understanding of Christianity and the poor examples of Christians you constantly complain about.

Original sin is a fairy tail, what difference
does it make what somebodies opinion
of it is. Back to Unicorns. Why would I
care about a groups opinion on a beast
that's a myth?

Pretending that something is real doesn't
make it real. Sin and original sin are made
up concepts, you can't show evidence they
aren't.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 14th, 2015 at 6:11:52 PM permalink
FrGamble
My bad, I thought you wanted to know what the Catholic Church actually taught about Original Sin. If you prefer to persist in your misconceptions that is your right. In the future you might want to preface your thoughts of Original Sin by saying something like, "According to me this is what the Church teaches" or "This is what I want the Church to teach and believe"

Quote: Evenbob

Pretending that something is real doesn't
make it real.

That is true, pretending something is not real also does not make it not real.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 14th, 2015 at 7:00:18 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Come on, are you saying that polytheism is at the heart of the foundations of Judaism? In regards to the commandment why wouldn't the one true God use the language that the culture would recognize by saying, "have no other gods"?
By taking that out of context, the meaning gets spun.

The bible doesn't deny other god's, it's about who is number one. It is alright to have lesser deity's as long as they are not "before him".

Similar to church's. As long as they can be first and deride other believers, as almost right, but not quite, everything is copacetic. If some other faction rises up as the Protestants did in Ireland, your people are fully willing to kill them.

Eighty five percent of wars are started claiming religious superiority.

"The greatest lies, are those of omission"
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 14th, 2015 at 7:17:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
pretending something is not real also does not make it not real.

If there is no evidence it's real, like for god,
thinking it's not real is not pretending.

My friend Ed says being a priest is like
living in a bubble, except you don't
know it's a bubble until you escape
from it. Once you're on the outside
of the bubble, and can think with
a clear head, you can't believe you
were ever a part of it.

That's how I think of you, like you're
in a prison of your own making. But
you can't escape and have convinced
yourself you don't even want to escape.
It's a lot like the Stockholm Syndrome,
only more insidious.
December 14th, 2015 at 7:27:08 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Come on, are you saying that polytheism is at the heart of the foundations of Judaism? In regards to the commandment why wouldn't the one true God use the language that the culture would recognize by saying, "have no other gods"?

This wikipedia article
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_Judaism
Explains the polytheistic nature of early Judaism.
Looks like monotheism won out, and did their best to suppress the polytheistic views, as you might expect.

A little timeline - 1100 to 600 bce - competing religions, including both poly and monotheistic pre-Judaism
600-500 bce - compilation of the first 5 books of the bible, directive of monotheism
+/- 100 years on all those, I have trouble remembering how to go from something like "the first century bce" to a range of years like 100 - 0
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 14th, 2015 at 7:45:07 PM permalink
FrGamble
If there is no evidence it's real, like for god,
thinking it's not real is not pretending.

Can you explain this confusing statement? Are you saying there is no God because there is no evidence there is no God?

My friend Ed says being a priest is like
living in a bubble,

I know your friend Ed was a priest in a different time and I also know how poor his formation was. It is certainly not anything like he is telling you. As a parish priest you are the front lines of the cultural wars. I am dealing all the time with people who think and act differently than myself. The diocesan priesthood is sometimes called the secular priesthood because we are not in a bubble or a monastery, we are dealing constantly with the confusion and lack of understanding you demonstrate here on the forum. I live in the world but not of the world.
December 14th, 2015 at 7:51:02 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Dalex64
1100 to 600 bce - competing religions, including both poly and monotheistic pre-Judaism

I just got a visual of the poor serfs living in fear and willing to change their beliefs willy nilly as whatever power or authority rode through the village, armed and ready to punish severely anyone with conflicting opinions.

I have to wonder how many times the serfs were forced at spearpoint to denounce whatever messiah they had the day before? The greatest power controls the biggest evil.

Like democracy at the end of a gun.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 14th, 2015 at 8:04:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Can you explain this confusing statement? "If there is no evidence it's real, like for god,
thinking it's not real is not pretending."

If you ask me what you're holding in
your hand and your hand is empty,
and I say 'you're holding nothing',
you can't tell me to quit pretending I
see nothing in your hand. I'm not
pretending. Just because you think
you see something doesn't mean
it's really there.

Quote:
I know your friend Ed was a priest in a different time .

The bubble he refers to is the bubble of
the religion. With it's rules and regulations
and rituals. Academics live in such a bubble,
as do the military, and people in prison.
Breaking out can be very hard, some can't
do well on the outside.