Spoiler Dicussion of The Force Awakens

Page 11 of 12« First<89101112>
January 19th, 2016 at 8:20:12 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Guillermo del Toro is also famous for doing one of the most elaborate couch gags for the Simpsons. It's based on his own work, but includes an homage to practically every classic horror film ever made.
January 19th, 2016 at 1:14:47 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Guillermo del Toro is also famous for doing one of the most elaborate couch gags for the Simpsons.

I might have seen that one (alas!)

I should point out many of the guest animators doing these gags are downright bizarre. Now, there's good bizarre, and bad bizarre.

For instance, one where a drunken, careless mad scientist and his grandson (it seems), kill the Simpsons and then clone them (badly) by teleporting to an alien world, that one was genius.

There's another where Homer is playing with some kind of time device, and we get to see part (or all?) of a Simpson's episode far in the future. Aside from bits like changed spelling (things like "epasode", which is brilliant), that gag seriously gave me nightmares later on. It's too strange for words.

BTW, did you get the "never been in my kitchen" bit?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 19th, 2016 at 2:40:43 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
BTW, did you get the "never been in my kitchen" bit?

It's hard to believe that episode is 27 years old now, but I am old enough to remember it. A classic.

January 19th, 2016 at 8:28:16 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
It's hard to believe that episode is 27 years old now, but I am old enough to remember it. A classic.

Alex looks so young!
January 19th, 2016 at 10:06:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Alex looks so young!

I never liked that show, Cheers. It came on
the same year I got out of the bar business
and the show was a total lie. Neighborhood
bars aren't full of happy friends having
drinks every day, they're full of pathetic
alcoholics who have no lives outside of
booze. That's why I got out and have never
been another bar since. Totally depressing
places.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 20th, 2016 at 7:04:14 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: FrGamble
He does know that Darth came over to the light side at the end and killed the Emperor doesn't he?

Did he? He said he did. But maybe he just gave up.

BTW, like Padme, he died of no discernible causes. Cause of death: he died.

Seriously, Luke took off his artificial hand, then he endured a fraction of the Laughing Maniac's lightning that Luke had, then he died.

So kudos to The Force Awakens for killing off Han Solo with an actual, evident, discernible, freaking obvious cause of death (ie stabbed with a light sabre).
January 20th, 2016 at 9:24:30 AM permalink
Nareed
Good idea or Bad idea:

Once Disney is done with Episode IX (The Force is Late For Work), they should reboot the prequels.

I've some ideas for how to do this. For starters, Anakin Skywalker would be a teenager, as would Padme, so their relationship can develop more naturally. Also he'd be very badly damaged by the time Kenobi discovers him, and we will see this. Perhaps instead of pod racing, the Hutts favor gladiatorial-style fights between slaves for amusement (rings true, given what we saw of Jabba in Ep. VI).
January 20th, 2016 at 12:47:00 PM permalink
Nareed
Did anyone see the "Star Wars" episode of The Big bang Theory?

I rank it as one of the best. Not only did they cram the many obligatory jokes for all the regulars, including Stewart, they also squeezed in Will Wheaton and Bob Newhart. The one wrinkle is that Penny and Bernadette are rather irrelevant when they have one scene together, which interrupted the flow a bit.

I thought the best line was "I enjoyed that more than I thought I would," as spoken by Wheaton, but then Sheldon had a last scene with Newhart as Arthur (Prof. Proton) and that was the funniest line:

Arthur: But, uh, what-what about Amy?
Sheldon: Oh, she liked it fine. But she doesn't have the history with the franchise I do.

Oh, having Wheaton show up to a SW premiere wearing a classic Trek uniform and pointed ears was just genius.
January 21st, 2016 at 7:55:08 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Once Disney is done with Episode IX (The Force is Late For Work), they should reboot the prequels.

I have always loved that the Godfather Part II was both a prequel and a sequel. I thought that it was instrumental in making the Godfather a truly epic trilogy. I would very much like to see them do that with the next Star Wars movie.

"Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters" is a 1985 American/Japanese film co-written and directed by Paul Schrader. The film was executive produced by Francis Ford Coppola and George Lucas. It explores this concept even further by fixing on the day in November 1970, when the famous writer commits public seppuku. Not only does it flash back to his life, but it also flashes to dramatizations of his novels. It is an incredible film with a haunting score by Phillip Glass.
January 26th, 2016 at 7:06:19 AM permalink
Nareed
Should I get the Blue Ray of Ep VII when it comes out later this year, or wait until all the movies are out and buy the boxed set?

It depends on how Ep. VII and IX turn out. If they are prequel-quality, I'll save a bundle.
Page 11 of 12« First<89101112>