Spoiler Dicussion of The Force Awakens

Page 10 of 12« First<789101112>
January 18th, 2016 at 7:46:57 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
I've heard much about the Leo Dicaprio film. Does anyone know what it's about? I saw the trailer, twice, while waiting for The Force Awakens to start. It struck me as a pointless copy of "Death Wish" set in the Old West. Not that it matters, as it's the kind of trailer which tells me "STAY AWAY FROM THIS MOVIE!"

The book was published in 2002, the incident was well known in the early 20th century.

And so The Revenant ends up uncomfortably perched between a kind of 19th-century Death Wish movie and a whispery Terrence Malick meditation on the relationship between man and nature. -The Revenant‘s spectacular highs deserve a more focused vision; By A.A. Dowd@aadowd Dec 16, 2015

I have to admit that the only Alejandro González Iñárritu film I have seen is his first two.
2000 Amores perros
2003 21 Grams
2006 Babel
2010 Biutiful
2014 Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
2015 The Revenant

2008 Rudo y Cursi (Producer Only)
January 18th, 2016 at 8:37:26 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
So the new SW film fell off the number one spot.

I've heard much about the Leo Dicaprio film. Does anyone know what it's about? I saw the trailer, twice, while waiting for The Force Awakens to start. It struck me as a pointless copy of "Death Wish" set in the Old West. Not that it matters, as it's the kind of trailer which tells me "STAY AWAY FROM THIS MOVIE!"

Hugh Glass is a fur trapper that gets attacked by a bear.
Close to dying, the team leaves 2 trappers to stay and eventually bury Hugh Glass.
After a few days of waiting for him to die, they decide its taking to long and take all his supplies and leave him to die alone.
Hugh Glass survives and crawls 80 miles to the nearest fort.
He eventually forgives those that left him behind

Hollywood turns an incredible survival story into a revenge movie
Hugh Glass has a son that is 1/2 Indian. (The reality is Hugh Glass never had a child)
He is left for dead after the bear attack and they kill his son.
the 80 miles he crawled now becomes hundreds of miles
He is not crawling to just survive, he wants revenge.

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/revenant/
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 18th, 2016 at 8:49:05 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
Hollywood turns an incredible survival story into a revenge movie

Nareed's First Law of moviemaking: Nothing is so simple that Hollywood cannot screw it up beyond all recognition (see FUBAR).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 18th, 2016 at 1:27:30 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
I have to admit that the only Alejandro González Iñárritu film I have seen is his first two.

I have to admit that the next film of his I see will be the first :)

I can't say I'm looking forward to it.
January 18th, 2016 at 1:33:21 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: terapined

the 80 miles he crawled now becomes hundreds of miles

Watching Leo crawl for hundreds of miles
is not my idea of entertainment. No thanks.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 18th, 2016 at 6:29:02 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I was forced to watch the Force Awakens again and I just give it a double "meh."

One question that came to me is why Kylo Ren has such a love affair with Darth Vader. He does know that Darth came over to the light side at the end and killed the Emperor doesn't he? He keeps asking for strength to avoid the temptation to the light side but he seems to be praying for that help in front of the relic of his grandfather Darth Vader who is the ultimate symbol of a death bed conversion to the light side.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 18th, 2016 at 10:54:12 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I have to admit that the next film of his I see will be the first :)

One of your hometown directors! How about Arturo Ripstein, Carlos Carrera, and Alfonso Cuarón?
January 19th, 2016 at 6:23:45 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
One of your hometown directors! How about Arturo Ripstein, Carlos Carrera, and Alfonso Cuarón?

Who are three people who've never been in my kitchen? ;)
January 19th, 2016 at 7:33:24 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Who are three people who've never been in my kitchen? ;)

Carlos Carrera's movie was nominated for an Academy Award and was very popular in Mexico despite efforts from Catholic church to stop it from screening.

Alfonso Cuarón is well known as the director of one of the Harry Potter films, and one of the three young Mexican film directors that took Hollywood by storm in the last decade. In typical journalistic brilliance they were dubbed "the three amigos" after the film which costarred Alfonso Arau (the 83 year old director from Mexico City).

Arturo Ripstein is sometimes called the Woody Allen of Mexico City, but although Woody Allen dabbles in sexual obsession and perversion, Ripstein makes it a central theme.
January 19th, 2016 at 7:37:20 AM permalink
Nareed
That would explain my complete disinterest in their work.

I've never seen a Harry Potter movie, either.
Page 10 of 12« First<789101112>