Simple question?

Thread Rating:

December 5th, 2018 at 8:59:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
because Father Quiroga instructed them to concentrate on a single trade nearly 5 centuries ago.

But what does having a natural instinct
for business have to do with god. Nothing.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 6th, 2018 at 5:41:12 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: petroglyph

Do you not consider Orthodox as Catholic?

We both recognize each other's Sacraments, but no I would not consider the Orthodox to be Catholic, and they would most assuredly not consider themselves Catholic. There are some major differences, specifically around the Pope.

Quote:
No offense intended but almost all of the religions look very similar to me.

No offense taken, but they are all as different as various works of art. In this case it might be like the difference between the Sistine Chapel and Rublev's Icon of the Trinity.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 6th, 2018 at 5:44:49 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
But what does having a natural instinct
for business have to do with god. Nothing.

For one thing it shows that your narrative of every Catholic missionary to the new world as a fire breathing evil monster intent on ruining the lives of everyone they meet, to be historical fiction.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 6th, 2018 at 6:38:44 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Evenbob
Evidence that prayer doesn't work, for
starters. For over a hundred years
there has been study after study
done on praying for sick people
in hospitals. The results for the
ones being prayed for and the
ones not being prayed for are
always exactly the same.

The results for the sick or dying person may be the same, but not for the person doing the praying. I believe the act of praying by a believer, even if what they believe in is fictional, often has tremendous benefit for the person praying. If the patient dies, the family member often takes solace in 'knowing' that it was God's will, or something like that.
I have been asked many times by family members if I would participate in a prayer with them (like by just standing with them while they pray). Of course I do not believe it matters for the patient, but even as a non-believer, why wouldn't I?
December 6th, 2018 at 6:47:13 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Face
, and back up 18mi,

I would bet I am the only DT member who understands what this means!

Remember, I plan on hiring you to take me fishing this summer.....
December 6th, 2018 at 10:03:49 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: SOOPOO
I believe the act of praying by a believer, even if what they believe in is fictional, often has tremendous benefit for the person praying. ?

Yes, I've always said this. Praying is for
the person praying, it does nothing for
the guy being prayed for. It's a non
proactive way for the prayer to feel good,
like they're really accomplishing something.
It's part of the me me me dynamic of the
god religions.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 6th, 2018 at 11:22:33 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: FrGamble
For one thing it shows that your narrative of every Catholic missionary to the new world as a fire breathing evil monster intent on ruining the lives of everyone they meet, to be historical fiction.

The American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABCFM) created in 1810 by recent graduates of Williams College consisted of participants from Reformed traditions such as Presbyterians, Congregationalists, and German Reformed churches.

The ABCFM gets the " fire breathing evil monster" award in the USA for what happened in Hawaii.

I don't think Bishop Quiroga had a "head for business". The conquistador Nuño de Guzmán, began a period of violence started in 1830. When Nuño de Guzman had been disgraced and recalled to Spain, Bishop Vasco de Quiroga was sent to the area to clean up.

It may have been just as profitable to put the labor to work in the silver mines. He had to give the Indians skill sets culled from both Europe and Africa to survive.

Now the Native women living in the Sierra Madres are the only ones in the world who know how to make these pots without a wheel, as the skill has been lost in Africa.
December 8th, 2018 at 5:17:13 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: FrGamble
I'm in sales not management...

*excerpted*

The most honest thing the Padre has ever posted here
December 8th, 2018 at 7:21:00 AM permalink
FrGamble
I'm not sure when I've ever posted anything dishonest, but thanks...I think.
December 8th, 2018 at 9:55:00 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: aceofspades
*excerpted*

The most honest thing the Padre has ever posted here

LOLOLOLOL