have no idea what you're
talking about.

You'd be better off asking Paul
what he thought. Paul could
read and write, was educated
and a sophisticated person
for his times. And he invented
modern Xtianity.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 27th, 2020 at 4:55:07 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: rxwine

*naw I didn't give you the choice of healing everyone -- too easy.

Why not? It is what they are supposed to be doing now, according to the Bible

Matthew 10:8
Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons. You received without paying; give without pay.

Matthew 10:1
And he called to him his twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every disease and every affliction.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
July 27th, 2020 at 6:36:51 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
A simple question.

WWJC? (What would Jesus choose?)

Save the economy or save lives?

*naw I didn't give you the choice of healing everyone -- too easy.

I think the answer is both/ and. I think Christ desires us to find a way to save lives and have concern for our culture and the livelihoods of everyone.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 27th, 2020 at 6:51:23 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: FrGamble
I think the answer is both/ and. I think Christ desires us to find a way to save lives and have concern for our culture and the livelihoods of everyone.

Equivocation is the hallmark of religion
July 27th, 2020 at 9:02:48 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64
Matthew 10:8
Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons. You received without paying; give without pay.
Matthew 10:1
And he called to him his twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every disease and every affliction.

LOL! Yeah, all of that works really
well for Xtians. They can't even
pray for their own in the hospital
and have it effect them the tiniest
amount. It's been proven again
that hospital prayer is for those
praying, not for the sick.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 3rd, 2020 at 8:08:46 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I was going to put this in the Science thread, but I'll put it here so FrGamble can appreciate it.

Quote:
For the first time in 800 years, Saturn and Jupiter will align to make a 'Christmas star'

Quote:
It was the Middle Ages the last time humans witnessed the brilliant astronomical phenomenon we are about to see.

The planets Jupiter and Saturn align in the sky every 20 years or so, but it's been nearly 800 years since they've been close enough together from Earth's vantage point to create the double planet "star" known as the "Christmas star" or "Star of Bethlehem." This alignment will appear as a bright point of light that stands out starkly in the night sky.

https://www.good.is/jupiter-saturn-align-christmas-star
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 4th, 2020 at 12:28:21 AM permalink
Evenbob
I was going to put this in the Science thread, but I'll put it here so FrGamble can appreciate it.

https://www.good.is/jupiter-saturn-align-christmas-star

Does this mean Jesus is coming
back to punish us all for our
filthy sexual thoughts? I certainly
hope so..
January 3rd, 2021 at 10:31:22 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote from an article I was just reading.

Quote:
Timing-wise, the fellowship sets off for their quest to destroy the One Ring on December 25th. Jesus’s birthday! It’s right there! This was intentional: J.R.R. Tolkien was a devout Catholic who once wrote to a friend that Lord of the Rings “is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work; unconsciously so at first, but consciously in revision.” And Christ-like themes show up in the whole trilogy, from Frodo bearing the burden of his ring like a cross, to Gandalf the Grey dying and getting a glow up in the form of resurrection as Gandalf the White
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 3rd, 2021 at 5:17:18 PM permalink
Evenbob

"Timing-wise, the fellowship sets off for their quest to destroy the One Ring on December 25th. Jesus’s birthday! It’s right there! This was intentional: J.R.R. Tolkien was a devout Catholic who once wrote to a friend that Lord of the Rings “is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work;"

Guess who Tolkein's best friend
was. CS Lewis, another huge
thumper. They saw each other
every day at Oxford where they
both taught. I love Tolkein but
find Lewis unbearable with
his stories thinly veiled in
religious nonsense. Even Tolkein
had no use for Lewis's work.

"Opinion varies starkly on the value of the Narnia stories. Many, including Lewis's friend JRR Tolkien, found them incoherent, sentimental and unsatisfactory."

Lewis was both sexist and
racist, and didn't try hiding
it.
January 4th, 2021 at 6:01:02 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67

Yeah rxwine, there are lots of theology classes in Catholic schools that study the theology of Tolkien. It is uber Catholic but done in a way that even guys like Evenbob enjoy. CS Lewis in the Chronicles of Narnia is really writing in a different genre because he is so obvious about his Christian themes and images. By the way I feel I need to step in and defend Lewis and correct Bob, CS Lewis was not a racist or a sexist.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (