Nancy Reagan -- RIP

Page 2 of 5<12345>
March 6th, 2016 at 2:20:11 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: beachbumbabs
Not nonsense. The 2nd term he was a Muppet.

Totally agree, 2nd term was the onset of Alzheimer's.
Even his son admits it
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 6th, 2016 at 2:27:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: beachbumbabs
Not nonsense. The 2nd term he was a Muppet.

Do you have any credible proof of this? I have already heard liberals saying this for decades now, upset with his domestic and international successes.

I highly doubt a "muppet" would have the guts to say "TEAR DOWN THIS WALL" against all advice. Then it happened just a few years later.

We could use such a muppet today.
The President is a fink.
March 6th, 2016 at 2:41:17 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: petroglyph
The laws are only there to keep the price up. The US government has been directly responsible for the flow of heroin since 1965. emphasis mine

Since we invaded Afghanistan in '01, heroin production has increased four thousand percent.

I know you don't have time or inclination but this article does a good job of explaining the heroin trade. Heroin overdose deaths have now increased to 16500 per year. Between now and 2026, more Americans will die from heroin overdose, than died in Viet Nam 1965-1975. Heroin was wiped out under the Taliban, and now has become a 2.5 billion dollar per year industry for Afghanistan. [this guy did a great job on this article]

Actually I have been following the heroin epidemic somewhat. Was just talking abut it with the girl who drew for my blood test yesterday. Learned that besides methadone they give some other drug, begins with an "s" but I already forget the name. Gives the users a high to replace the high from the H that the methadone does not give even as it saves their lives from same addiction.

We have two types, "black tar" on the west coast and traditional white powder in the east. It is a major, unseen problem right now. I call it the "suburban housewife drug" as that seems (to me anyways) to be the hidden major market. But the more and more cops, EMTs, or healthcare workers I talk to the more I am convinced the problem is many times what it gets credit for. I worry that I am getting obsessive asking all the time.

I am not quite ready to blame the Feds, but I would not put it past them. I may be too tuned out of pop-culture to notice, but I see less concern than there was for coke in the early-1980s. My take is H is far more dangerous to use.
The President is a fink.
March 6th, 2016 at 2:45:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: terapined
Totally agree, 2nd term was the onset of Alzheimer's.

Here's just one example of why you're wrong.
This is part of a speech he gave at the Berlin
Wall. Does this sound like somebody who has
Alzheimers? He spoke like this right up till
the end of his presidency. His son Ron cannot
be believed in anything he says about his dad.
They never got along, and some even say the son
hated his father. Michael Reagan maintains
his dad never exhibited and signs of the disease
while in office.

My mother in law has mild Alzheimers, she could
never give a speech like this, even with notes.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 6th, 2016 at 2:46:56 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I wouldn't call him a muppet, but a recent study claims to have detected early signs of the disease.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/31/health/parsing-ronald-reagans-words-for-early-signs-of-alzheimers.html?_r=0

He definitely showed signs of confusion or difficulty remembering things later in office, but that might not have anything to do with early alzheimers, and II think that study was more focused on more subtle, consistent things.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 6th, 2016 at 3:05:19 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: AZDuffman
Do you have any credible proof of this? .

His son
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 6th, 2016 at 3:07:28 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: terapined
His son

The one that EB pointed out did not get along with him?
The President is a fink.
March 6th, 2016 at 3:08:09 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: Evenbob
Here's just one example of why you're wrong.
This is part of a speech he gave at the Berlin
Wall. Does this sound like somebody who has
Alzheimers? He spoke like this right up till
the end of his presidency. His son Ron cannot
be believed in anything he says about his dad.
They never got along, and some even say the son
hated his father. Michael Reagan maintains
his dad never exhibited and signs of the disease
while in office.

My mother in law has mild Alzheimers, she could
never give a speech like this, even with notes.

Meaningless
We are discussing his 2nd term, not 1st
March 6th, 2016 at 3:08:55 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: AZDuffman
The one that EB pointed out did not get along with him?

so what
March 6th, 2016 at 3:10:03 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: petroglyph
She isn't "guilty" per se of the length of prison sentences. She was the face however that an ignorant public, who were led to believe that weed was as dangerous as heroin. The public followed and repeated her mantra because of who she was.

I don't claim to know everybody's opinion but I was 15 to 23 during the Reagan years and if anything my peers did more drugs because of Nancy Reagan. Surely if she is telling to "just say no," then there must be something fun we're missing out on.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 2 of 5<12345>