Nancy Reagan -- RIP

Page 4 of 5<12345>
March 6th, 2016 at 4:50:47 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
But what is the answer? As you pointed out, addiction can and will put a nation on its knees for several generations. Too many people like doing the stuff. Hard for me to sympathize because I do not care for recreational use. Never have. But enough do to be a problem.
The feds are what they are, but if they wanted to stop narcotics really, they could do a lot better job. What, we took down Iraq once in 3 weeks? At the time, the 4th largest military in the world. A couple of crop dusters and a tanker of "Round-up" would put a hell of a dent in the poppy crop. It is not like we don't know where they are.

There is just to much money in it.

I think a lot of the addiction would be self correcting. Everyone cannot be saved. I once thought we should have colony's for addicts and give them all the tonnage confiscated. Either that or dump it back in the country of origin, see how it works for them.

Unlimited availability [from confiscated tonnage] and the addicts will self immolate without all the drama of years of addiction, and they wouldn't have to do all the B&E's and ripping off to fund their problem, making it ours.

Quote:
Locking them up just locks them up.
Just gives them enough time to let their systems reset and start over. This stuff is evil, but it's hard to believe the way we have went about it was our best try. We put people on the moon for chrissakes. When BC was in office he said the satellites at that time could see the dimples on a golf ball from space. And we are suppose to believe they don't know how the Afghan heroin gets here?

I fully hear you on the police state, I don't think that is by accident either. I hate seeing our police [that used to be friendly] in combat gear, with vests and military grade hardware. "Beware, the Luddites are armed" : ) petro

I still believe in work therapy, call me [really] old fashioned. When we were kids, [I can't believe I said that] we didn't have time for trouble. There is plenty of work needs doin, capital is mis allocated with the prison industrial complex. The guys at the bird sanctuary weren't wrong, they were just way to late.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 6th, 2016 at 5:11:33 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Evenbob
As I've said before, you know
nothing and think you know everything.

I made a mistake.
I looked at the wrong speech.
Sorry.
If I make a mistake, I will admit it
I have never made any kind of statement or inferred here that I know everything.
I believe life is a learning process.
If you want to attack my statements, fine.
To attack me personally with "you know nothing" is wrong
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 6th, 2016 at 5:17:12 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph

I think a lot of the addiction would be self correcting. Everyone cannot be saved. I once thought we should have colony's for addicts and give them all the tonnage confiscated. Either that or dump it back in the country of origin, see how it works for them.

I think there is plenty in the country of origin. Then there is meth, what are we going to do there? UPS to 308 Negra Arroyo Lane?

Quote:
Just gives them enough time to let their systems reset and start over. This stuff is evil, but it's hard to believe the way we have went about it was our best try. We put people on the moon for chrissakes. When BC was in office he said the satellites at that time could see the dimples on a golf ball from space. And we are suppose to believe they don't know how the Afghan heroin gets here?

Dimples in a golf ball, license plate on your car. That is well and good but does not solve the problem. Too many ways for too much to move thru. 1000 poppy fields to 1000 street corners. Might be a pinch point, but where? Unless the satellite is in geostationary orbit they probably know when it is flying over.

Supply will chase demand. Stop the H and they will chase the Oxy. Stop the Oxy and they will chase the Vike. Stop the Vike and they will look at the Tar-H. If a buck can be made, it will be made. The colony might be a better idea.
The President is a fink.
March 6th, 2016 at 5:36:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: beachbumbabs
suddenly can't read a teleprompter?

He was using notes at the wall, but it
makes no difference. A person with
early Alzheimer's would get confused
even with the reading of something.
Somewhere in the speech he would get
confused and lose his place, probably
a lot. You don't see the slightest sign
of that here. Look at the speech I
posted from the end of 88. That was
a long one, you can see the whole thing
on Youtube. No confusion, no mistakes,
no hesitation, no losing his place.

Someone at any stage of Alzheiner's
could not do a speech like that. He
might have had difficulty behind the
scenes at times keeping his schedule
straight, what person in their late 70's
doesn't. But his ability to think and
communicate were very good at the
end, obvious in his speeches.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 6th, 2016 at 5:40:11 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: terapined
I made a mistake.
I looked at the wrong speech.

No, you don't know he made the wall
speech towards the end of his 2nd term,
you didn't look at the wrong speech.
My point is you're extremely opinionated
about things you often know almost
nothing about. If I'm in doubt of anything,
I google it first, I did it today several
times. Better to know for sure than to
just think you know.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 6th, 2016 at 5:45:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
He also execute 40-60 million Christians.

Different subject. My point was you will never
get rid of drugs by talking people out of them,
or sending them to rehab. Much of humanity
is weak all all they understand is drastic
measures. Make the punishment 100 times what
it should be and drugs will disappear. Legalize
them and have a country full of drug addled
zombies. We tried that already anyway. You could
buy any drug you wanted till about 1906 or so.
March 6th, 2016 at 5:58:59 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
If I'm in doubt of anything,
I google it first, I did it today several
times. Better to know for sure than to
just think you know.

Reagan never entered the oval
office dressed in anything but a jacket
and tie, out of respect for the job. ..

Quote: rxwine
rightwing media doesn't do very good research.

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 6th, 2016 at 6:54:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: terapined
rightwing media doesn't do very good research.

I was actually right about that. I did read
that he never entered without a tie and
jacket. But they failed to mention it was
when it was during working hours. I just
assumed it was the way it was written,
it was all the time. From the way I read
it and the way it was written, I was correct
to assume they meant ll the time.
March 6th, 2016 at 7:31:13 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
My point was you will never
get rid of drugs by talking people out of them,
or sending them to rehab.
Agreed, that is what "just say no accomplished", and that is what the w.o.d. accomplished. McGovern suggested legalizing cocaine back when he was running. I read Brazil retorted that if cocaine was legalized in the US, that they wouldn't be able to make their payments to the world bank.

Quote:
Much of humanity
is weak all all they understand is drastic
measures. Make the punishment 100 times what
it should be and drugs will disappear.
Probably would, but without trying them one at a time and hanging them, just giving them an unlimited supply of confiscated narcotics, would accomplish the same thing without court costs. But, that isn't what the ptb wants. Clowns on acid could have created a better drug policy than the one devised by the "coked up cowboys" on wall street.

HSBC bank was recently finded 1.9 billion dollars [5 weeks income] for laundering billions of dollars in drug money, and no one goes to jail. http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/outrageous-hsbc-settlement-proves-the-drug-war-is-a-joke-20121213

However, there is a function for addled brains, at the butt end of a gun. They are a product like wool on a sheep.

Quote:
Legalize
them and have a country full of drug addled
zombies.
We have that now, certainly not full but there are millions. Two and a half million heroin addicts alone.
Quote:
We tried that already anyway. You could
buy any drug you wanted till about 1906 or so.
There isn't much deterrent now for nearly any drug someone wants through their primary care provider. Kids in grade school and up are prescribed Ritalin, and adderall [which is speed] at horrifying rates. Teachers can demand it without parents consent.

America with 5% of the world's population takes 60% of the prescription drugs. There is an epidemic of legal drugs available. Can't kill everybody. There are staggering amounts of xanax [by many names], uppers downers and sidewayers available, all with a scrip picked up at the local pharmacy. The difference between legal and illegal is who collects the vig.

If H or meth is the drug of choice for the criminal class of druggies, surely if we manufacture at industrial levels it will be cheap. Giving each a pound or two of meth is a lot cheaper than supporting them in prison. I was informed the average lifespan of a heroin addict is around 7 years, a meth user is much shorter if they have easy access.

I wasn't aware of a US drug deluge in 1906? Was that British opium?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 7th, 2016 at 2:48:59 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

I wasn't aware of a US drug deluge in 1906? Was that British opium?

Not so much, though it was a problem from the Civil War until the late-1800s.

What EB is likely talking about is "patent medicines." In the early 1900s you could buy medicine with cocaine, heroin, or morphine right at the local drug store with a Coca-Cola, which BTW had trace cocaine in it, though more from bad processing than as an ingredient. Almost any claim could be made. People got hooked.

The Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906 ended this. But it may have been the first indication of the hooked society we are predisposed to being.
The President is a fink.
Page 4 of 5<12345>