No votes (0%)
3 votes (37.5%)

8 members have voted

March 25th, 2016 at 11:15:27 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 85
Quote: terapined
Quote: Wizard
I'll be using a nice Scott carbon fiber bike. Probably one of their lower end models, but I like it. I don't have a picture of mine at hand, but here is a similar one from their web site.

Real nice bike
light
I prefer straight handle bars rather then curved downward
I ride for fun and a little more comfortable upright rather then bent over uncomfortable for less wind resistance
Have also become a fan of disc brakes

For a ride this long, perhaps adding forearm rests would be a wise investment
March 25th, 2016 at 11:22:00 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 145
Quote: Ayecarumba
Is there a meal break or two built into the ride, or is it a non-stop race to the finish?

I think there will be about four stations along the way that provide food, medical care, and bicycle maintenance. The food is by no means a meal. There will be lots of fruit, especially bananas, and maybe some other snack type food. Strangely, when you do something huge like this you don't get very hungry. The body does not seem to like digesting a big meal and vigorous exercise at the same time.

I'm sure the organizers dislike people using the term "race." They emphasize safety way over time. However, I'm sure most riders, including me, will want to push themselves towards a time they can be proud of. They don't have the elapsed time clock at the finish line for nothing.

Quote: terapined
Real nice bike
light
I prefer straight handle bars rather then curved downward
I ride for fun and a little more comfortable upright rather then bent over uncomfortable for less wind resistance
Have also become a fan of disc brakes

Thanks. I'm rarely in the bent over position on my bike. Generally only on a steep downhill grade. I used to complain about backaches caused by long distance bike riding but I think unicycling has really improved my back. Much more than any chiropractic treatments. As for brakes, my mountain bike and one unicycle have disk brakes. I guess I like them more, but it doesn't make much difference to me. Disk brakes do look better.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 25th, 2016 at 1:18:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 110
Why will there be lots of fruit. It's
high in fructose, which keeps your
pancreas constantly pumping out
insulin to combat the high rate of
sugar going into your bloodstream.
It seems like a denser carb, potato
chips or a bread product, would be
better for you.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 25th, 2016 at 3:27:48 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
Why will there be lots of fruit. It's
high in fructose, which keeps your
pancreas constantly pumping out
insulin to combat the high rate of
sugar going into your bloodstream.
It seems like a denser carb, potato
chips or a bread product, would be
better for you.

I didn't know you were so knowledgeable about such things. You've surpassed my level with that comment. Hopefully somebody else will come along to respond properly to your question.
March 25th, 2016 at 3:35:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 110
I didn't know you were so knowledgeable about such things.

10 Reasons Why Fructose Is Bad

http://paleoleap.com/10-reasons-why-fructose-is-bad/
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 25th, 2016 at 4:14:19 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61
I didn't know you were so knowledgeable about such things. You've surpassed my level with that comment. Hopefully somebody else will come along to respond properly to your question.

Could be all psychological, almost a placebo type effect from believing it, but...

5 days out from a tourney and I'll mow down; I'll put 5-8lbs on in less than a week. 1-2 days out is "carbo loading", and it's these "denser" carbs, like starches found in bread and pasta, that I use. That's when I'll be sure to eat the pastas and the pizzas. Those "dense" carbs seem to give the Real Energy, the stuff that can carry you through a rough physical output.

It's tourney time, actually between games or after a day of games, when I want the simple stuff. You (I) don't need the "long" energy, I need the "right now" energy. The sugar in fruit stuffs need no attention. Right into your bloodstream they go. Anything "thicker" than that needs be processed, and that takes time. Plus, as Wiz said, hunger is probably the last thing you ever feel during the activity. After? Sure. But when you're huffin' and puffin', food is the last thing on your mind. I bet he, as I do, eat rather as a matter of "should". You have no desire to eat, it might even edge on the side of being difficult to do, but you know you "should" because you will need that energy 3 hours from now.

If I have to eat but don't want to, whatever I eat has to be light. Can't sit heavy in my gut like a baked potato would, can't be potent or acidic so I'm choking on my burps. A handful of nuts and a scoop of fruit gives you a triple threat of fats, proteins, and sugar all in one, small, light package.

I would add that post-activity, proteins are suppose to be your target and I find seafood to be the homerun decision. Not really a complex reason; I'm just ravenous after a tourney and can eat tons of seafood without feeling like I can't breathe.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 25th, 2016 at 4:18:52 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61
Quote: Evenbob
I didn't know you were so knowledgeable about such things.

10 Reasons Why Fructose Is Bad

http://paleoleap.com/10-reasons-why-fructose-is-bad/

I'd obv defer to you when it comes to the topic of sugar, but keep in mind, we're not talking a lifestyle choice here. Me gaining and then losing 8lbs within 7 days would be highly concerning if it was 40wks a year. Not so much when it's just 2 or 3. Same goes for this. "OD"ing on sugar or potassium or salt for an event is (somewhat) normal.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 27th, 2016 at 3:00:32 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Details of my training ride today:

Time (moving): 5:36:22
Distance: 80.3 miles
Avg speed (when moving): 14.33 mph
Max speed: 24 mph
Calories: 4636
Total ascent: 4087.9 feet
April 19th, 2016 at 3:35:58 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 85
Now that McNugget V has concluded, I think that this challenge could be the next event of wagering interest. My thoughts are that we do this as a 50/50:

1) Competitors will put identical amounts into a pool.
2) Competitors will also submit a secret (to the Wizard) finish time (00hrs:00mins,:00secs) to an agreed upon third party.
3) If the Wizard finishes the 100 mile ride, the closest prediction to his finish time wins half the pool, and the Wizard will collect the other half.
4) If the Wizard does not finish the 100 mile ride, the entire pool will be returned to the entrants.
5) In the event of a tie, the prize half will be divided evenly amongst the identical winners.

Thoughts?
April 19th, 2016 at 3:37:24 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I'll go alone with that but I don't need to rake the pool.

p.s. Rode 85 miles today.
Page 2 of 5<12345>