2 votes (33.33%)
2 votes (33.33%)
2 votes (33.33%)
3 votes (50%)

6 members have voted

April 7th, 2016 at 3:15:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 8th, 2016 at 9:55:41 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I'd just like to point out that only a very sick mind would think like this.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 8th, 2016 at 10:08:12 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: FrGamble

Well, sign me in, then, because I've been aware of that hypocritical lifestyle for almost 50 years. The people who conduct themselves as thieves, liars, and userers all week long, then fatuously show themselves in church on Sunday would stagger your mind. If christ forgives them every week , what incentive do they have (in their own minds) to stop doing it?

It's almost like collusion; they think they can screw over their neighbors 6 days a week as long as they repent on the 7th. Rinse and repeat. It's hard to believe you haven't seen this in your own congregations, as it's common in the many communities I've lived in, and not excluding catholic worshippers.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
April 8th, 2016 at 11:14:15 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

A very Christian mind, agreed.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 8th, 2016 at 11:36:32 AM permalink
Evenbob

What sick mind indeed. For centuries
the Vatican sold indulgences.

In the teaching of the Roman Catholic Church, an indulgence is "a way to reduce the amount of punishment one has to undergo for sins"

You could get away with bloody murder
if you had enough cash. In modern times,
Catholic mobsters did the same thing as
buying indulgences, they would contribute
heavily to their church so they could go
about their usual business with a clear mind.

Jesus forgives anybody who asks, isn't that
how it goes? How nice.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 9th, 2016 at 8:23:22 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: beachbumbabs
Well, sign me in, then, because I've been aware of that hypocritical lifestyle for almost 50 years. The people who conduct themselves as thieves, liars, and userers all week long, then fatuously show themselves in church on Sunday would stagger your mind. If christ forgives them every week , what incentive do they have (in their own minds) to stop doing it?

It's almost like collusion; they think they can screw over their neighbors 6 days a week as long as they repent on the 7th. Rinse and repeat. It's hard to believe you haven't seen this in your own congregations, as it's common in the many communities I've lived in, and not excluding catholic worshippers.

I know it seems almost reckless of God to always forgive us when we do wrong. Doesn't it occur to God that people could take advantage of this and hurt people and hurt God and then just fall on their knees for forgiveness, not to repent, but to get a fresh start to do more of the same?!?

I wonder if looking at God in the Biblical imagery of a parent might be helpful to understand this frustrating aspect of God's Mercy. How would you treat your son or daughter who comes to you seeking forgiveness over and over again? You demand change, remind them that they are held accountable, speak to them, plead with them, show them the error of the ways and the pain it causes you, them, and those they hurt. However, you wouldn't, at least God wouldn't, ever deny them.

You may call this enabling, but in no way is God protecting His children from the real and eventual consequences of their actions. He only has figured out something that usually takes us many, many years to figure out that fear and intimidation does not truly change people and is a poor motivator. The greatest changes that happen in people's lives comes through patient and sacrificial love and forgiveness.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 9th, 2016 at 10:13:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
He only has figured out something that usually takes us many, many years to figure out that fear and intimidation does not truly change people and is a poor motivator. .

Really. So the constant threat to believers of
an eternal punishment in hell and eternal
damnation isn't used to fear and intimidate
in the Church? Are they just loving suggestions,
then? They especially scare the living daylights
out of small kids, scarring some of them for
life.

You make no sense. Obviously (obviously!) the
message of your Church is obey god or pay a
horrible price. And you claim that isn't fear
and intimidation????
April 9th, 2016 at 10:33:39 PM permalink
FrGamble
Of course not, how often do you hear a sermon or homily on hell? Love And happiness here and now as well as the joys of heaven are much more inspiring, wouldn't you agree?
April 9th, 2016 at 11:10:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Of course not, how often do you hear a sermon or homily on hell?

So the Church never mentions hell and
eternal damnation anymore? It's been
struck down as nonsense and is no
longer on the agenda to strike fear
and intimidation into the congregation?

Answer carefully..
April 9th, 2016 at 11:41:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Of course not, how often do you hear a sermon or homily on hell? Love And happiness here and now as well as the joys of heaven are much more inspiring, wouldn't you agree?

I think God ordains you have to come on this board and get persecuted on a regular basis. (But you always gloss over the negative aspects)

Look out, God may make you his next Job!
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 5 of 7« First<234567>