The "problem" of evil

August 13th, 2016 at 11:24:02 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
The point of my little synopsis here is that Jesus is not here to provide you with comfort.

Really? He reportedly said this:

"And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith. ... Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you. ... "
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 13th, 2016 at 11:40:54 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Nareed
What you fail to understand is that saving a person's life is immaterial and irrelevant. If you see someone drowning, what really matters is whether they've accepted Jesus as their personal savior (whatever the hell that means), not whether you should jump in the water to try to save them.

Ignorance is Strength
Oppression is Love
Death is Life

FrGamble only uses his critical thinking skills until they interfere with his book/religion. Then discards them.

He could just as easily be one of those guys lopping off heads in Isis. Refer to the book, or holy leader for directions.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 13th, 2016 at 1:40:13 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
The point of my little synopsis here is that Jesus is not here to provide you with comfort.

But he/god could, and chooses not to.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
August 13th, 2016 at 7:10:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Saying God had no choice to create evil in order to give humans free will is like saying God had no choice but to put the Tree of Knowledge in the Garden of Eden.

And we know what happened.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 13th, 2016 at 7:37:03 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: rxwine
Saying God had no choice to create evil in order to give humans free will is like saying God had no choice but to put the Tree of Knowledge in the Garden of Eden.

We have also been told that there is no evil in heaven, yet you retain your free will.

That brought up a few of my "why...?" questions a while ago.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
August 13th, 2016 at 8:01:07 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
FrGamble only uses his critical thinking skills until they interfere with his book/religion. Then discards them.

He could just as easily be one of those guys lopping off heads in Isis. Refer to the book, or holy leader for directions.

Another grossly unfair and insulting post. I guess you could just as easily be one of those guys killing people in the millions like Stalin. Just refer to your own self and your own interests to guide you and give you directions, all other people and those you don't like be damned.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 13th, 2016 at 8:08:01 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
But he/god could, and chooses not to.

A lot of people seem stuck on this image of God having a cure to human suffering in His pocket but refusing to give it to us. I've said many times that this faulty image of God is one where you want to treat Him as a superhero or a good luck charm. Rub His head when you need something and then tell Him to leave you alone when things are going well. I think you can probably understand why God refuses to be your vending machine and why you would do the same. I continue to wonder if you could trade a friend for a miraculous cure for your illness would you do it? The other thing that strikes me is that Jesus does offer you the cure to all that ails you and it is not some magic pill, it is Himself. You say that God could cure you but He choses not to. Could not God say that you could chose to invite Him into your life and you chose not to. That is your decision that God will not force you to make. However, know that what you want most and the answer to your problems lies in precisely believing in and forming a loving personal relationship with God. He is not holding anything back, He offers to you His very self and your refuse Him. Nevertheless He waits at your bedside always ready to give you the new life that comes through believe in Jesus Christ.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 13th, 2016 at 8:10:08 PM permalink
FrGamble

God did not create evil. He did give us free will so that we could chose whether to love or to rebel and hate. He could have chosen to make us robots that did not have a choice and that must love Him no matter what. I for one am glad He gave us free will so that we could truly love. Would you have chosen instead to just be a robot?
August 13th, 2016 at 8:11:01 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
We have also been told that there is no evil in heaven, yet you retain your free will.

That brought up a few of my "why...?" questions a while ago.

And I think we determined that the big difference in Heaven is the presence of the evil one to tempt us is not present.
August 13th, 2016 at 8:24:42 PM permalink
rxwine
God did not create evil. He did give us free will so that we could chose whether to love or to rebel and hate. He could have chosen to make us robots that did not have a choice and that must love Him no matter what. I for one am glad He gave us free will so that we could truly love. Would you have chosen instead to just be a robot?

Why don't you answer why it was necessary for a Tree of Knowledge in the Garden of Eden. You think Adam & Eve needed it there to be content?

Please say yes so I can have a big LOL at the foolishness of your fable.