The billion dollar move and the overseas market

Page 5 of 7« First<234567>
February 25th, 2018 at 8:45:23 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I never ever judge a movie simply due to the trailer.
I really have no opinion on a movie till I see it
I may want to or not want to see a movie due to a trailer
But I cant judge a movie itself simply due to a trailer
Just as I never judge a book due to its cover
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 25th, 2018 at 10:13:41 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined
I never ever judge a movie simply due to the trailer.
I really have no opinion on a movie till I see it
But I cant judge a movie itself simply due to a trailer
Just as I never judge a book due to its cover

How do you chose a book in book store when faced with thousands of choices. I expect the cover does come into play. You likely have favorite authors (equate director/cast in the movies), and maybe read the cover notes (equate that to a trailer) when making your choice. I have some authors that I will buy everything they write but I am always looking for something new in the bookstore and cover is the first thing that pulls me in to consider it if I know nothing about the author and haven't read a review. My rambling point is that not knowing the director or cast of a movie only leaves you with trailers and reviews. You can't watch every movie to decide which ones to watch.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 25th, 2018 at 10:23:09 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined

I call the coming attractions "warnings," because my reaction to most trailers is "I so don't want to see that movie." So I very much appreciate the warning.

On the other hand, I've taken to not seeing the trailers of movies I know I'll go see, like all SW movies and all Wonder Woman movies.

Once in a rare while I decide to see a movie based solely on the trailer. But I think the last was decades ago, literally (and I mean literally literally).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 25th, 2018 at 10:40:21 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: zippyboy
I can't make it through the B.P. trailer either. So much CGI car chase, flying through the air, blah blah blah, just terrible. No interest in seeing that crap. Never even heard of Black Panther anyway.

I coundn't understand half the
dialog, and they put the best
stuff in the trailer usually. It's
only popular for the CGI. I
find it interesting that 97%
of critics loved it (mostly
black cast, they had no choice)
but only 75% of people who've
seen it gave a positive review.

Many said it's confusing, a shitty
screenplay with way too many
flashbacks. I usually won't even
watch a movie that has a lot
of FB's, it's an old trick they
use when they want to fill
space in a shitty screenplay.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 25th, 2018 at 11:08:22 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Wow, I have not seen a single one of those 50 movies. In the late 1980's a had a ticket to see Batman but something came up and I didn't go.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 25th, 2018 at 11:25:07 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The Fantastic Four #1 (Nov. 1961), was the first Superhero Marvel comic book and the characters squabbled, held grudges and were concerned about celebrity status. They distinctly broke with the Superman conventions of the previous two decades.

Quote: zippyboy
And FWIW, I look forward to EB's and AZD's posts as much as Paco's (sorry Paco!) as the alt viewpoint. Or the voice of reason. Or to hear my own opinion stated so eloquently by someone else, who can bear the hive hatred for publicly writing it.

Marvel comic books were a big part of my childhood. For nostalgia I tend to watch these movies on the small screen, as it is more like reading comic books as a kid. The CGI effects hold little fascination for me on the big screen. I would much rather watch "The Darkest Hour" on the big screen which has some deep emotional impact. It's the opposite of when I was a kid, when I thought that space melodramas with special effects should be seen on the big screen, and relationship and historical stories could be seen on television.
February 25th, 2018 at 11:33:19 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
X-Men were NEVER second-tier.

Fantastic series, some of the best story lines in all comics, great variety of characters.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 25th, 2018 at 11:41:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Pacomartin
Days to $300 million
5 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV
6 Jurassic World Uni.
8 Star Wars: The Last Jedi BV
8 Black Panther BV
9 Marvel's The Avengers

Black Panther is the third fastest movie to make it to $400 million
Days to $400 million
8 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV
10 Jurassic World Uni.
10 Black Panther BV
12 Star Wars: The Last Jedi BV
14 Marvel's The Avengers BV

Black Panther may make it to $500 million in second place, but it will be difficult.

Days to $500 million
10 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV
16 Star Wars: The Last Jedi BV
17 Jurassic World Uni.
32 Avatar Fox
32 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story BV
45 The Dark Knight WB
73 Beauty and the Beast (2017) BV
98 Titanic Par.
February 25th, 2018 at 11:43:33 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman
How do you chose a book in book store when faced with thousands of choices. I expect the cover does come into play. You likely have favorite authors (equate director/cast in the movies), and maybe read the cover notes (equate that to a trailer) when making your choice. I have some authors that I will buy everything they write but I am always looking for something new in the bookstore and cover is the first thing that pulls me in to consider it if I know nothing about the author and haven't read a review. My rambling point is that not knowing the director or cast of a movie only leaves you with trailers and reviews. You can't watch every movie to decide which ones to watch.

Of course a trailer or cover will influence me to see or read. The point I was making is that seeing a cover or trailer, i still cannot say a book or movie is good or bad till i actually read the book or see the movie.
For instance. Last Ben Affleck movie, Live by Night. Loved the trailer due to reading the book and knowing what the scenes were about. Hated the movie. It sucked. Left out best parts of the book. Cant tell if a movie will be good or bad simply from viewing the trailer.
A friend left a book at my house after he read it. 1632 By Eric Flint. The cover looked stupid and ridiculous, a pickup truck roaring by ancient soldiers. One day I was so bored, started reading. Wow, what a great book. Loved it.
Cant judge a book by its cover :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 25th, 2018 at 11:55:41 AM permalink
Pacomartin
The film maker often has no say in the trailer, which is often used to market a film rather than convey anything about it's content. Often serious or dark films are conveyed as light comedies.

14 Most Misleading Movie Trailers of All Time (Screen Rant)

14. RULES OF ATTRACTION Rules of Attraction looked to be one of the funniest comedies of 2002, in line with American Pie and other sex-obsessed coming-of-age films. The trailer features James Van Der Beek one-liners, skirt chasing, and partying – everything required for a raunchy, young-adult comedy.

13. SPONGEBOB: A SPONGE OUT OF WATER both the trailer and the title suggest that a hearty portion of the film will take place on land.

12. FROZEN Olaf the snowman, and Sven the reindeer were the unequivocal stars of the first teaser

11. CABIN IN THE WOODS While the trailer makes this film look like an average, run-of-the-mill horror flick, audiences quickly found out that Cabin in the Woods was anything but.

10. OBSERVE AND REPORT Observe and Report was marketed as a knock-off of Paul Blart: Mall Cop, but turned out to be an underrated comedy with a lot more content than suggested by the film’s trailer.

9. BAD LIEUTENANT: PORT OF CALL NEW ORLEANS The trailer promises a generic cop thriller starring Nicolas Cage, but provides moviegoers with much more.

8. RED EYE It is sometimes difficult to decipher whether or not a film is a straight horror film, or a kind of thriller hybrid, but Red Eye elevates the confusion to new heights. Maybe it is the score that runs through the first half of this trailer, or just the overarching tone, but this has to be one of the most peculiar marketing choices for a film that, frankly, had a fairly intelligent plot.

7. DRIVE It is almost a staple of Nicolas Winding Refn films at this point to be somewhat misrepresented by its respective trailer. Perhaps his particular directing style does not sit well with mainstream audiences, or perhaps his tone is hard to sell in under three minutes. Either way, anyone who judges a Refn film by its cover is certain to be in for a surprise.

6. SPRING BREAKERS Spring Breakers was the polarizing film of 2013. Some critics praised its accurate depiction of today’s reckless youth culture, while others complained that the movie simply bit off more than it could chew. What everyone seemed to agree on, however, is the fact that the film delivered much more than what was suggested from the film’s trailer.

5. WORLD’S GREATEST DAD From all accounts, World’s Greatest Dad looked to be a quirky Robin Williams comedy about a rocky father and son relationship. The reality of this film, is a much darker truth.

4. CRIMSON PEAK The 2015 film was marketed as a horror film, but ended up being something else entirely. Trailers for the film featured an unnerving score, a creepy house, and ghosts.

3. BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA Trailers for this film based off of a children’s book looked similar to The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, but Bridge to Terabithia was actually a heartbreaking, coming-of-age story about coping with loss.

2. SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET The film was marketed as a Tim Burton/Johnny Depp team up, revenge thriller, and while this was most certainly the case, the trailer failed to mention one key fact: This film is a musical.

1. PAN’S LABYRINTH If musicals are a tough sell to the average moviegoer, then foreign films have to be even more difficult, as Pan’s Labyrinth trailers seem to just overlook the minute detail that this film was entirely in Spanish. Instead, a generic (English speaking) voice-over narrates the plot of the film. In the entire two and a half minute trailer, there is absolutely no subtitles and no characters conversing in Spanish. Moviegoers must have been in for quite a surprise when they arrived at the theater only to find out that they had to read dialogue for almost two hours.
Page 5 of 7« First<234567>