NFL 2016

Page 5 of 8« First<2345678>
November 18th, 2016 at 7:40:23 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Nareed
I take it a punt results in a free ball, like a kickoff in the NFL?

Anyway, I've not seen a Canadian Football game in decades. But the 3 downs are an opportunity to do away with punting entirely. Just tweak the rules to make punts a terrible choice, justifiable only deep in your territory.

For example: IN the NFL two players can run towards the other side before the punt is away. What if that option were stricken?

Pretty much. The ball is live. Players on side at the snap/kick can recover the ball, and there are no touch backs. Fail to advance the ball out of the end zone and the opposition scores a point. You still retain possession so it's often taken intentionally.

You can't fair catch, but the kicking team has to give a cushion to the catcher... And then he can get hit.

Punts probably result in retention of possession far more often in the CFL than NFL.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 18th, 2016 at 2:39:03 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: TheCesspit
Punts probably result in retention of possession far more often in the CFL than NFL.

If punts are exciting and a simpler way to get a first down (as compared to third and looooong), they won't disappear any time soon. Change the punt rules to reflect the NFL, and maybe few teams will punt, except in third and looooong.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 20th, 2016 at 12:18:55 AM permalink
TheCesspit
If punts are exciting and a simpler way to get a first down (as compared to third and looooong), they won't disappear any time soon. Change the punt rules to reflect the NFL, and maybe few teams will punt, except in third and looooong.

Nope, your missing the point. Punts are not good ways to get first downs. Just saying that it's more likely to end without a retention of possession. Punts are interesting in the CFL, but happen far to often, and 2nd downs are 3rd downs, with that level of tension happening too often. It makes for a less interesting game, ironically.

Watch a few games, you'll see what I mean. Or not, decide you prefer it, and then can go see games in Montreal for far less than the cost of the NFL.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 20th, 2016 at 7:35:21 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
What I think Nareed is envisioning is the quick punt which you seldom see now. It is a punt on second down which catches the defence not prepared and can usually results in additional yardage because of the lack of set up by the defence.

When I was a kid it was an accepted play in the CFL and sometimes would result in the offensive team recovering the ball since they usually had several people stay behind the kicker so they were on side and could recover the ball even if it was not touched by the defence.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 20th, 2016 at 8:06:35 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: kenarman
What I think Nareed is envisioning is the quick punt which you seldom see now. It is a punt on second down which catches the defence not prepared and can usually results in additional yardage because of the lack of set up by the defence.

Maybe I am.

I'm not sure I understand the rules, so I'm going by what I know. In the NFL, any kickoff is a free ball (ie not possessed by either team) after it has travelled ten yards. Also, no player on the kicking team can get ahead of the ball before it's kicked. Therefore getting to the ball before the receiving team is awfully hard. Ergo the short onside kicks of no more than ten yards, which are set to bounce so the receiving team won't field them too easily. But these are a huge gamble, more so when the receiving team expects it.

It's very rare for the kicking team to recover the ball in any scenario other than an onside kick, but it has happened. It's even unlikelier now, since must kickoffs end up as touchbacks anyway.

So assuming a punt in a Canadian game is a free ball, but that the kicking team can move two players ahead of the ball, it would seem punting short on third and trying to coordinate with the two advance players, makes for near-even odds of a recovery and, presumably, a first down if enough yards were gained. Punting on second, if the QB or RB does it by surprise, should give even better odds.

BTW, it's things like this I find interesting in Football, not who hits whom and how hard.
November 20th, 2016 at 11:23:30 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Only players who were onside (behind the kicker) at the time of the kick can recover and advance the ball. The ball is live, but the catcher has a 2 yard halo and must be allowed to catch the ball in flight. Thus, the gunners are a different type of job in the CFL.
November 20th, 2016 at 6:42:25 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
In the quick kick scenario I was describing it wasn't a short kick but as long a punt as they could make it. The surprise factor meant that the defense was all on the line and an eligible offense player had a reasonable chance of getting to the ball before a defense player realized what was happening.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 12th, 2017 at 7:14:00 AM permalink
Nareed
Now that the playoffs are in full swing, the burning question is: What team will take Tony Romo next season?

Symmetry suggests New England, but symmetry is not often a reason in NFL trades. Cleveland will likely go for the top QB in the draft anyway. Most of the usual suspects did well this year, so they're out.

I'll miss being able to tell die-hard Cowboys fans they're QB sucks and have them agree. :)
January 12th, 2017 at 7:58:46 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Now that the playoffs are in full swing, the burning question is: What team will take Tony Romo next season?

Symmetry suggests New England, but symmetry is not often a reason in NFL trades. Cleveland will likely go for the top QB in the draft anyway. Most of the usual suspects did well this year, so they're out.

I'll miss being able to tell die-hard Cowboys fans they're QB sucks and have them agree. :)

Jets. They need a QB. The Browns are a dumpster fire, and will continue to be. Romo's a good blue collar guy, and he'd probably get adored there... but I doubt his ability to stay healthy.

Broncos and Niners would also fit. Denver need an experienced play caller who can hand off and make the occasional hot hand throw. Romo can do that.

Bears he'd be a rental player, their new QB looks to be a good plan longer term.

Romo's always been a reasonable QB playing for one of the most high profile teams in the league, and I think that's been harder for him, as he's quite a down to earth humble guy. Of course, going to NY doesn't solve that issue, but Romo would be an upgrade over everyone else whose in the Jets uniform and on the sidelines too.

Some of this depends on how deep the Cowboys go into the playoffs... if Romo has to step up to play in Superbowl, and wins it, it all changes. The price changes, I mean, Dak Prescott is the QB there next year barring massive injury.
January 12th, 2017 at 8:06:02 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: TheCesspit
Jets. They need a QB. The Browns are a dumpster fire, and will continue to be. Romo's a good blue collar guy, and he'd probably get adored there... but I doubt his ability to stay healthy.

For his sake, I hope he goes elsewhere. The Jets are a perennial also-ran.

Quote:
Broncos and Niners would also fit.

I think the Niners have returned to their normal basket case status. It's hard to believe they were in a Super Bowl not that long ago...

As for Denver, head coach flux hell is a hard basis for a decision.

But then I'm not up on how the coaching carrousel is playing out right now.

Anyway, most Cowboys fan's I've asked say they want to see him go to Pittsburgh. They say this is because they hate the Steelers. I wonder why they didn't suggest Philly instead...
Page 5 of 8« First<2345678>