General science thread

June 4th, 2020 at 8:08:04 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Pretty cool.

Quote:
Spraying crops with bacterial or yeast spores that have unique DNA “barcodes” would make food safer by allowing the source of food poisoning to be rapidly identified, says a team at Harvard University. They have genetically engineered the bacteria, developed a rapid test for them and shown that the spores – which are inert and harmless – persist and remain detectable, even on cooked food.

It’s estimated that almost 1 in 10 people worldwide get food poisoning and more than 400,000 die of it every year, according to the World Health Organization. Tracing the source of contamination is difficult and can take many weeks, says Jason Qian at Harvard University.

His team has genetically engineered strains of Bacillus subtilis bacteria and Saccharomyces cerevisiae yeast to give them unique DNA “barcode” sequences. These species are very common and also form tough, long-lasting spores.

The spores of the barcoded microbes are inert. The genes required for B. subtilis to come out of dormancy have been deleted, and the yeast spores are heat-treated to kill them. Both types are also unable to make a key amino acid, so can only grow when fed it.

The team then sprayed the spores on various surfaces including sand, soil, carpet and wood. They were able to detect them three months later even on surfaces that were swept or vacuumed, or subjected to simulated wind or rain.

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2245361-crops-sprayed-with-barcoded-spores-could-help-trace-food-poisoning/#ixzz6OSNYfXNw
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 7th, 2020 at 3:18:57 PM permalink
rxwine
I wouldn't have guessed those vibrating machines might actually work for exercise. But the astronauts use one to assist in keeping bone density.

Not sure why the el cheapo ones wouldn't work just about as well as the thousand dollar ones. I haven't read enough about it yet though.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 8th, 2020 at 11:27:56 AM permalink
rxwine
Does negative thinking lead to alzheimers?

Interesting, but I'll reserve judgment for now on that conclusion.

Quote:
Negative thinking behaviors such as rumination about the past and worry about the future were measured in over 350 people over the age of 55 over a two-year period. About a third of the participants also underwent a PET (positron emission tomography) brain scan to measure deposits of tau and beta amyloid, two proteins which cause Alzheimer's disease, the most common type of dementia.

The scans showed that people who spent more time thinking negatively had more tau and beta amyloid buildup, worse memory and greater cognitive decline over a four-year period compared to people who were not pessimists.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/negative-thinking-linked-to-dementia-in-later-life-study-finds/ar-BB15avrr?ocid=spartanntp
June 8th, 2020 at 5:06:43 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
Does negative thinking lead to alzheimers?

Interesting, but I'll reserve judgment for now on that conclusion.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/negative-thinking-linked-to-dementia-in-later-life-study-finds/ar-BB15avrr?ocid=spartanntp

Two things wrong with that idea. Is it cause or effect for the negative thinking? Maybe people in the early stages of dementia are more pessimistic because of the disease. The second thing is a promising Alzheimer's drug that was in the 3rd phase of testing and was reducing the amyloid buildup didn't effect the progress of the Alzheimer's. The tests were cancelled and the drug abandoned as ineffective. The scientists are now not sure that the assumption that amyloid buildup was the cause are starting to wonder if the amyloid buildup is just an effect.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 8th, 2020 at 5:29:46 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: kenarman
Two things wrong with that idea. Is it cause or effect for the negative thinking? Maybe people in the early stages of dementia are more pessimistic because of the disease. The second thing is a promising Alzheimer's drug that was in the 3rd phase of testing and was reducing the amyloid buildup didn't effect the progress of the Alzheimer's. The tests were cancelled and the drug abandoned as ineffective. The scientists are now not sure that the assumption that amyloid buildup was the cause are starting to wonder if the amyloid buildup is just an effect.

I told my dentist I thought maybe dementia might be related to not flossing.

Tooth infection has a short path to the brain.

(hasn't taken hold yet)
June 8th, 2020 at 5:35:02 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
I told my dentist I thought maybe dementia might be related to not flossing.

Tooth infection has a short path to the brain.

(hasn't taken hold yet)

Its probably true. Gum health has a direct correlation to brain health.
June 8th, 2020 at 5:57:25 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Gandler
Its probably true. Gum health has a direct correlation to brain health.

Probably the teeth not the gums. Everyone I see missing 1/2 their teeth looks dumb as ---k ;-)
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 8th, 2020 at 5:58:54 PM permalink
Gandler
Probably the teeth not the gums. Everyone I see missing 1/2 their teeth looks dumb as ---k ;-)

Most people missing that many of their teeth is because of issues with the gums....
June 8th, 2020 at 6:28:00 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
The first thing I think when I see poor teeth is, it is an obvious sign of low money.

Anyone, especially in the summer can don a set of clean new clothes and shave. But missing teeth takes time an money to solve.

I've spent a fortune in my mouth over the years, then radiation blew them back out. Now I'm screwed.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 8th, 2020 at 6:33:27 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: petroglyph
The first thing I think when I see poor teeth is, it is an obvious sign of low money.

Anyone, especially in the summer can don a set of clean new clothes and shave. But missing teeth takes time an money to solve.

I've spent a fortune in my mouth over the years, then radiation blew them back out. Now I'm screwed.

Can you elaborate? (if not I understand I am just curious, if its a sensitive subject I don't want to push).

Radiation treatment? Or radiation poisoning?